Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 18:16   #31

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: “We don’t know if it runs...”

If you like the boat, and are willing to take it on as a project, it sure sounds like a few hundred dollar bills in your hand could possibly seal the deal. How about a few (dozen) pics to let us we what we are really talking about? You can upload tons of pics to sites like ONEDRIVE and post a link on the forum for all of us.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 20:00   #32

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaplaneDriver View Post
Howdy folks,
Looking at a phenomenal deal on a Pearson 30 with the notorious Atomic gas engine. Owners say “we don’t know if it runs because we haven’t started it in several years”.

Naturally, I want to know if it runs (I know deep down it won’t/shouldn’t), if it’s close to running with some TLC, or if it would be best used as an anchor. How should I go about this?
I'll take a run at answering the question you asked.

The easiest way to go about this is to bring a fully charged battery with you, hook it up, crank the starter, and see what happens. If the engine turns, great. If you also bring some starting fluid with you, you can spray that in the carb throat and see if it will come to life for a few seconds, which will confirm for you that the ignition system is more or less there and functional -- an easy step but not one that will tell you much.

You can also run a compression test.

You can fiddle around squirting oil into the spark plug holes and turning the engine with a wrench, and that may reduce the amount of damage you'll do if it's seized. On the other hand, if it's seized, that may not matter much because at that point you're better off sending the whole thing in for rebuilding, or repowering, or walking away from the boat.

A full evaluation of the engine situation is going to have to consider oil leaks, fuel system repairs, and exhaust system repairs. It's hard to evaluate all that without starting to work on the engine and running it.

Even if there's nothing seriously wrong with the engine, you're looking at a good deal of work to catch up on back maintenance if it's been sitting.

Quote:
I am well aware that I could/will sink about 6k or more into that engine, so I may just mount an outboard on the back and be done with it. Thoughts on that route, too?
IMO in the present market you're better off getting a boat that already has a working auxiliary of whatever kind you want to run. It's a buyers market. You can overhaul the Atomic 4, you can repower with a diesel, you can get an outboard, and all of those choices will ultimately be $3k and up.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:59   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
IMO in the present market you're better off getting a boat that already has a working auxiliary of whatever kind you want to run. It's a buyers market. You can overhaul the Atomic 4, you can repower with a diesel, you can get an outboard, and all of those choices will ultimately be $3k and up.
When buying an older sailboat, you are really just buying an engine, which comes wrapped in a sailboat.

Unless you are part of an extreme niche of sailors who like to sail with no engine, the Pearson 30 you are considering has a value of $0 without a working engine...even $0 may be too high an offer, considering there will be costs, and lots of them, the minute you take possession.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:37   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I'll take a run at answering the question you asked.

The easiest way to go about this is to bring a fully charged battery with you, hook it up, crank the starter, and see what happens. If the engine turns, great. If you also bring some starting fluid with you, you can spray that in the carb throat and see if it will come to life for a few seconds, which will confirm for you that the ignition system is more or less there and functional -- an easy step but not one that will tell you much.

You can also run a compression test.

You can fiddle around squirting oil into the spark plug holes and turning the engine with a wrench, and that may reduce the amount of damage you'll do if it's seized. On the other hand, if it's seized, that may not matter much because at that point you're better off sending the whole thing in for rebuilding, or repowering, or walking away from the boat.

A full evaluation of the engine situation is going to have to consider oil leaks, fuel system repairs, and exhaust system repairs. It's hard to evaluate all that without starting to work on the engine and running it.

Even if there's nothing seriously wrong with the engine, you're looking at a good deal of work to catch up on back maintenance if it's been sitting.

I was one suggesting fogging the cylinder walls. Not necessarily for a seized engine but not run the rings on dry walls. As others have said approaching a purchase as it being a boat anchor makes sense. See if it is salvageable after buying it. I would definitely fog if using starting fluid, that stuff would strip any remaining lube. I don't like the stuff but sometimes it is the lesser of two evils.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 14:58   #35

If you get the engine running BEFORE you buy it, the price might go up suddenly! Make an offer assuming the engine is dead. If the PO doesn't even want to try to get it running himself...what does that say about him (and the boat)?
Old 02-01-2018, 16:57   #36

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

Always loved my A4s. Tough little buggers. But it is hard to beat a diesel. I would say buy the boat assuming it will not start then show it some love and who knows. If it runs it would be way better than an outboard. Count on that. Dont even mess with it in front of the owners. In fact after looking at it fake a vomit over the side. That should help on pricing and just talk like you will be pulling it the day you own it. Then show it love and you might just be surprised. Parts and what not still readily available.
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:02   #37

Go price up some similar boats with working engines. Odds are it won't look like such a great deal.

If you do go ahead, treat it as scrap metal and don't try to get it running before the purchase.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote