Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 17:05   #1

Boat: Samson 36 ft
We should have a bad experiences forum.

Hi all,

Just thought this might Make people aware that all is not always as it seems,
Maybe I'm too trusting.
My VP 2003 raw water engine had seized in my 36ft Sampson,it had been doctored up and was not the best anyway oil leaks etc,so .I saw a Volvo penta same 2003 only fresh water cooled on ebay uk,advertised as fully rebuilt,got in contact with the guy emails and phone calls and he seemed a very decent person .He assured me that he had had the motor rebuilt as a standby if the raw water VP in his yacht in the Med conked out he would have this one to replace it,anyway cut a long story down a bit.
I bought the motor and had it shipped to Queensland,I have had it in the crate for a couple of years in my shed,because through back problems had been unable to flit around as I would have liked .
Five weeks ago I slipped the boat at Mooloolaba to clean and have the motor put in .Now i had every faith in this being a fully rebuilt motor .it looked as though it was okay new hoses new paint new clamps bolts touched up with red paint .okay looked very good .
So crane in ,old motor craned out .me in there cleaning up repaint new engine craned in Mechanic done a great job all connected up,then it began..
"You have a water leak from the fresh water pump Tony". So pump out dismantled and completely rusted out ,new pump kit. Oil leak,not sure where from but milky looking ,okay something,s going on here. Engine oil looks fine so they start the motor,motor starts okay but screams straight into full throttle,Poor mechanic ties to stop it stop control wont work compression lever wont work ,so cracks the injectors to stop the thing.problem..

Motor craned out and put on the bench diesel engineer inspection.Gear box full of water ,milky oil problem found, heat exchanger checked completely corroded and leaking water to the transmision ,Injector pump seized no control on throttle control rods. So motor all fixed and for the second time craned into the boat and re assembled once again.this time all good thank goodness.

So at this point I would just like to thank Campell and A J the diesel mechanics at Lawrie,s Mooloolaba .if you see this thank you so much for all your help.

I would like to add these guys knew I was bleeding money I did,nt have and done their best to keep it down as much as they could.boy did I need that.
But even so my $6000 rebuilt motor ended up costing over twice that to repair.
I fully intend to to get hold of the man who sold me this,to see what can be done , whether he knew it was a bodged job ,or maybe he had been conned as well ,with me being the one copping the crap at the end I don,t know. So there you go a very expensive and bad experience. Sort of took the fun out of it .
TonyQld100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 17:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: We should have a bad experiences forum.

Caveat Emptor
Old 15-03-2015, 17:13   #3

[QUOTE=TonyQld100;1775625]Hi all,

Just thought this might Make people aware that all is not always as it seems,
Maybe I'm too trusting.
My VP 2003 raw water engine had seized in my 36ft Sampson,it had been doctored up and was not the best anyway oil leaks etc,so .I saw a Volvo penta same 2003 only fresh water cooled on ebay uk,advertised as fully rebuilt,got in contact with the guy emails and phone calls and he seemed a very decent person .He assured me that he had had the motor rebuilt as a standby if the raw water VP in his yacht in the Med conked out he would have this one to replace it,anyway cut a long story down a bit.
I bought the motor and had it shipped to Queensland,I have had it in the crate for a couple of years in my shed,because through back problems had been unable to flit around as I would have liked .
Five weeks ago I slipped the boat at Mooloolaba to clean and have the motor put in .Now i had every faith in this being a fully rebuilt motor .it looked as though it was okay new hoses new paint new clamps bolts touched up with red paint .okay looked very good .
So crane in ,old motor craned out .me in there cleaning up repaint new engine craned in Mechanic done a great job all connected up,then it began..
"You have a water leak from the fresh water pump Tony". So pump out dismantled and completely rusted out ,new pump kit. Oil leak,not sure where from but milky looking ,okay something,s going on here. Engine oil looks fine so they start the motor,motor starts okay but screams straight into full throttle,Poor mechanic ties to stop it stop control wont work compression lever wont work ,so cracks the injectors to stop the thing.problem..

Motor craned out and put on the bench diesel engineer inspection.Gear box full of water ,milky oil problem found, heat exchanger checked completely corroded and leaking water to the transmision ,Injector pump seized no control on throttle control rods. So motor all fixed and for the second time craned into the boat and re assembled once again.this time all good thank goodness.

So at this point I would just like to thank Campell and A J the diesel mechanics at Lawrie,s Mooloolaba .if you see this thank you so much for all your help.

I would like to add these guys knew I was bleeding money I did,nt have and done their best to keep it down as much as they could.boy did I need that.
But even so my $6000 rebuilt motor ended up costing over twice that to repair.
I fully intend to to get hold of the man who sold me this,to see what can be done , whether he knew it was a bodged job ,or maybe he had been conned as well ,with me being the one copping the crap at the end I don,t know. So there you go a very expensive and bad experience. Sort of took the fun out of it .[/QUOTE

Correction needed.Motor never cost twice the purchase price to repair.All up this motor has cost a little under $ 13,000 an expensive lesson.
Old 15-03-2015, 17:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Caveat Emptor
Fool is correct .
Old 15-03-2015, 18:47   #5

Boat: Savage Nautilus with Yanmar 2qm15 inboard diesel.

Hi TonyQld100,

That's a real sad story mate. Just out of interest can you tell me what it cost to have the engine shipped from the UK?

Thanks.
bony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 19:30   #6

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I think you should of had the engine bench tested the 1st thing after receiving it. Then you may have been able to have the PayPal guarantee if the engine condition was misrepresented. I buy used stuff on eBay and always test it when I get it out of the box, real bummer.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 23:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bony View Post
Hi TonyQld100,

That's a real sad story mate. Just out of interest can you tell me what it cost to have the engine shipped from the UK?

Thanks.
Of course it was $2400 door to door
Old 15-03-2015, 23:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I think you should of had the engine bench tested the 1st thing after receiving it. Then you may have been able to have the PayPal guarantee if the engine condition was misrepresented. I buy used stuff on eBay and always test it when I get it out of the box, real bummer.

I certainly wish I had done now.I was led to believe it had been rebuilt by Volvo techs. The bloke that sold it was an older guy and appeared genuine.Was my first stab at Ebay buying,,such is life .
Old 16-03-2015, 03:33   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyQld100 View Post
I certainly wish I had done now.I was led to believe it had been rebuilt by Volvo techs. The bloke that sold it was an older guy and appeared genuine.Was my first stab at Ebay buying,,such is life .
Unfortunately the best scams and con-men always appear genuine.
Very sorry to hear of your experience and hope things turn around soon.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 10:58   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Sad story. You have been had. Whether the guy you bought from was or not is ?

Good advise for others, look before you leap.

Maybe a bad experience forum would be good.

Can you dig up any info. on the seller?
Doubt it will help you but possibly someone else, if it is an ongoing scam.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 14:20   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

TonyQld100,

You are not alone, a similar thing happened to friends. In that case, it may have been lack of oversight by the manufacturer who was having engines recondition, or a scam like you had done on you.

Thank you for bringing up the subject. Besides the usual "caveat emptor" advice, the whole thing about checking *it* right away so as to use PayPal's protection seems a really good idea. Sorry your injured back did not allow you to do that.

Ann
Old 16-03-2015, 15:25   #12

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Yep I think you're a dollar short and a few years late too get anything. Sorry to hear that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 15:40   #13

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyQld100 View Post

To bad you can not give the seller the feedback he deserves at this point to warn other buyers.

River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 17:01   #14

I would post the blokes name and address in the UK just to warn other people out there.
Les Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 18:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Crawford View Post
I would post the blokes name and address in the UK just to warn other people out there.
Hello,

There is no reason to believe that scoundrels use their real names.

Kindest,

Sundae

Tags
enc, rum