Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2011, 08:02   #1

Westerbeke 30: Way to pressurize oiling prior to startup?

Hello All....

The engine in question is a Westerbeke 30; AKA British Leyland 4-91. It has been sitting about 2 years with an empty crankcase (long story...). I don't know it's current mechanical condition and would like to attempt to start it.

In addition to filling the crankcase getting a bit of oil into the cylinders...I would like to pressurize the oiling system in an effort to get oil up to the bearings and everything else....as it would surely be multiple revolutions of the engine before the oil pump would prime and start doing its job.

How can I accomplish this? I think I've seen adapter fittings that connect at the oil filter mount...but I would appreciate some input

Thanks, Chuck
Seakaye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 08:05   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Westerbeke 30: Way to pressurize oiling prior to startup?

What I do is press the kill switch and crank at same time , this way it will not start but will pump oil-!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 08:18   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

What ram said......
if you kill the engine by turning off the key, pull the stop lever on the engine while cranking
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 08:19   #4

Boat: seawind II Patience

I agree with Ram,could also mist wd40 into air intake,will start on wd40 but will lubricate upper cyls.Would be careful pressuring system possible to low seals.Do you know the bleeding for the w30.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 10:57   #5

Boat: Irwin sloop

The adapter you mentioned is the only way I know of to get oil to the cam, the main and rod bearings. With a pump and the necessary plumbing it should be doable but don't turn the engine over till you have removed the adapter and reconnected the oil line as it just might start. I don't know of a simple way to oil the wrist pins but the cam lobes and followers can be oiled from above while the rockers and valves are being done. The timing gears and pump shouldn't be a problem. Good luck and keep us posted.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke