Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2010, 20:11   #1

Westerbeke 4-107 Starter Needed ASAP

I am in San Diego en route from Cabo to San Francisco, and I am need of a starter. The one on the boat has been rebuilt twice already, and I am told that new starters are no longer available (this boat is new to me). Please contact me if you can help.

Cheers,

Evan
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 21:01   #2

Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38
check with these guys they know their stuff, pretty much any hard to find starter they'll make happen...I was able to get one for my ancient westerbeke through them:

Masco Marine Starters and Alternators
brianontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 04:32   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Evan-
Even for "nearly new" cars, real brand new starters are often not available. In the starter and alternator trades, they refer to "rebuilt" versus "remanufactured" goods. The former mean they fixed a broken one that was returned vs. a "core charge" when someone swapped out a bad starter. But the latter (remanufactured) means a used one was literally stripped down to the metal frame and then every part, every bearing, tested against factory new spec before it was remanufactured.
So if you look around, someone out there will be offering them "remanufactured" rather than just "rebuilt". There are enough of these engines out there, and enough starter shops, that you should be able to find a good spare. And not to worry about being rebuilt twice--they can be rebuilt indefinitely. Although, you might question why it has needed two rebuilds. Starters are easily damaged if they are overheated, i.e. engaged and run for a full minute is all it takes to overheat them. Installation issues (exhaust routing, hot engine compartment, missing heat shield) also can toast starters. I have no idea if those would affect yours.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 05:01   #4

Thank you.

Alternator Westerbeke 38384

From Masco: $180
From Westerbeke: $660

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianontheroad View Post
check with these guys they know their stuff, pretty much any hard to find starter they'll make happen...I was able to get one for my ancient westerbeke through them:

Masco Marine Starters and Alternators
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 10:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Thank you.

Alternator Westerbeke 38384

From Masco: $180
From Westerbeke: $660
I'm not surprised at those quotes. Another good place is Wayne Electric in San Pedro/Terminal Island. Just $150 for a rebulit, (new motor in my housing) for a Perkins 4-107. All is good.
Old 23-03-2010, 10:42   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Call Doug Crockett, 843-566-9228, sales manager at Masco. Just got me two starters for my Westerbeke W46. $287.50 each-you don't want to know Westerbeke price.
Masco is great. No connection other than satisfaction

Tags
asa, westerbeke