Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2018, 12:30   #1

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'
Westerbeke 40 Fuel Filter

I am deep into analyzing what to do with my fuel filtration system, but I have a question for those who have a Westerbeke 40 (Westerbeke's version of a Perkins 4-108) or a Perkins 4-108: What micron filter do you put in the Racor ahead of the on-engine filter?

Some background: the Westerbeke PN for the entire on-engine fuel filter assembly is 019509, and the filter element is 014776. The Fleetguard x-ref (FF167) is listed as 12 micron, so I'm guessing that is what the Westerbeke is also (can't find a spec). I have been using a 2 micron in the Racor, but I'm wondering if 10 mic might be more appropriate. The 2 mic clogged up recently after about 30 hours of run time since last change, but that 30 hours did include one very rough exit of Beaufort Inlet, so I'm sure that stirred up the dregs. Prior to that, the 2 mic filters had caused no problems, including back and forth in the Gulf Stream. And yes, I use Biobar.

So is 10 micron enough? I've heard varying opinions, but the local diesel expert in Wilmington, NC says he thinks 2 micron is too small, and 10 or even larger would be better.

I would appreciate the combined wisdom of the group.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 15:48   #2

Re: Westerbeke 40 Fuel Filter

Anything under 18 micron is a ok for a diesel including a 108/40. 2 micron would be ok if acting as the second filter in a dual filter setup with a 10-12 as the first stage.
PCBPort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 18:29   #3

I only have two filters - the Racor and the on-engine. On-engine is apparently 12 micron. Is a 10 micron on the Racor good enough? I am looking at adding a second Racor, but that's in the future. I'm trying to decide what to do in the next 2-3 weeks.

Thanks.
Old 17-07-2018, 18:34   #4

10 is a ok.
PCBPort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 09:39   #5

I have 2 filters starting with a 2 micron Raycor but I dont know what the other (factory) one is
Old 18-07-2018, 09:47   #6

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Went to a diesel engine seminar years ago and I seem to remember the guy giving the course said the engine filter (Yanmar as I remember) is 7 or 8. We have always used 10 on the Racor (Westerbeke 58) and have not had a problem.
Old 18-07-2018, 13:05   #7

Boat: Custom 34 ft., sail-assisted trawler, wood hull, built 2005

The filter companies claim that you get longer life from the filters if the first filter is 30 microns and the on-engine filter uses a smaller micron.
I've got a different approach... we use, and have for over 12+ years, a 2 micron filter before the engine and the dealer's supplied filter on our 42B Westerbeke engine, which I've been told is a 10 micron. The rational for doing this is that the 2 micron will catch everything, so if the engine shuts down due to clogged filters, then it is almost guaranteed that it is the 2 micron filter that needs changing, not both. If time is of the essence, this could be a significant factor is avoiding danger.
With a vacuum gauge on the filters, we replace the filters when the vacuum starts to rise to Racor's recommendation of 7 Hg. The on-engine filter only gets changed according to the maintenance schedule, which is very 500 hours or two years, whichever comes first. We've never had the on-engine filter come off dirty. It should be noted that our tanks are clean. If my tanks were dirty, I'd open them and clean them before I had to rely on my filters, or carry a box load or two of filters with me.
If I didn't have the vacuum gauge, then I'd change the before-engine filter every 200 hours.
Rudy Sechez
Briney Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 15:18   #8

Thanks all, lot's of good information. Putting the 2 micron in the Racor makes sense to me, because, as someone said, the 2 mic is sure to catch everything and keep the on-engine filter clean. Much easier to change the Racor than the on-engine filter in case of a clog. I'm also going to invest in one of the Racor-made Baja filters, since I will be going where fuel is notoriously dirty.

I'm considering one of the two-filter Racor systems from KTI (Andy Keenan's company). Anybody have experience or opinions on that? It allows you to polish fuel and switch instantly from filter 1 to filter 2 in case of clog.
Old 18-07-2018, 15:44   #9

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a 4108 on a generator. The stock engine mounted, secondary filter is 10 micron. I use 2 micron in my Racor primaries. There are long term advantages to having very clean fuel. Injector pumps, lift pumps and injectors last a lot longer. The tanks never get a buildup if you use a conditioner and dirty tanks, over time, get clean.
Common practice for diesels is 30 micron primary and 10 secondary.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter, westerbeke