Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 14:49   #1

Boat: Endeavour 42
Westerbeke 44B starter problems

I'm having problems staring my 44B. When I depress the preheat button, I hear the preheat solenoid engage and click, then when I depress the start button, I hear the starter begin to spin, and it stays spinning as long as I hold the start button down. If I put my hand on the starter motor, I can feel it spin. I don't hear any other clicking, etc. the start battery is new, it holds a 12v+ charge pretty well. When the starter spins, I don't feel or see any indications of anything on the actual engine spinning or engaging . I think maybe the starter engage solenoid is not functioning.
Is there any way to test it in place?
AnnOMalleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 15:41   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Westerbeke 44B starter problems

I think you already have.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 15:52   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

What's not working is the starter drive. The pinion gear on the starter is supposed to sling out and engage the flywheel ring gear when the starter motor turns. It's probably full of gunk or just worn out.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 15:56   #4

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Unfortunately your throw out is seized. Not hard to fix except its probably a pain to pull out starter motor, I have reconditioned many starter motors for people and have always found once they start having problems they need a strip down every 6 months unless your using it often like starting it once a week. I always sugest buying a new one if your budget alows. Very important to see if there is any water leaks as this will cause your problem within a month of not starting motor.

Sent from my SM-T315T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 16:13   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Have you tried the time honoured trick of giving it a good thump with a decent sized block of wood.

Not a permant fix but it does at times, give surprisingly good results.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 16:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardean View Post
Unfortunately your throw out is seized. Not hard to fix except its probably a pain to pull out starter motor, I have reconditioned many starter motors for people and have always found once they start having problems they need a strip down every 6 months unless your using it often like starting it once a week. I always sugest buying a new one if your budget alows. Very important to see if there is any water leaks as this will cause your problem within a month of not starting motor.

The motor has 5 hours on it, except for the fact it sat for two years or so. Is there any way to "unseize" it in place, or am I going to have to pull it?
Old 12-09-2015, 18:02   #7

You have to pull it out , it gets a film of rust on the shaft so you have to clean it with fine sandpaper untill it is polished then grease it. Its from lack of use and no grease from when new.

Old 12-09-2015, 18:17   #8

If you need any advice on removal ect I can help, the hardest part is normally access, with half decent access it should take less than half an hour to remove , and half an hour to fix problem, 15 mins to reinstall

Old 12-09-2015, 18:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Have you tried the time honoured trick of giving it a good thump with a decent sized block of wood.

Not a permant fix but it does at times, give surprisingly good results.
This will nearly always work to get you out of the **** but you still must service the startermotor . I normally hit hard with a shifter or peice of steel as it needs a fair shock, this gets stuck brushes and stuck solenoid going but not normally a stuck throw out as in your case. Note you will dent the startermotor hitting it but such is life, note dont hit it on the cast aluminium to hard as it may crack.try for the steel around the motor casing.

Old 13-09-2015, 04:59   #10

Ok, so pricing new starter- Westerbeke OEM $760. Mitsubishi starter that fits @$350-$500. Then I find this NEW OEM MITSUBISHI STARTER MOTOR WESTERBEKE MODEL 8.0WMD 10.0BTDA 11.0BTD 030593 - Newegg.com
Anyone bought from Newegg before? $162 for a new starter... If it's too cheap, it raises alarms.
Old 13-09-2015, 09:32   #11

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

P/N ZAGADAXX*14

Amazon has in stock for $189 and free shipping. I believe you can also buy a 2 year extended warranty for about $15.00. Tough to beat their customer service.

NEW 12V CW OSGR STARTER MOTOR FITS WESTERBEKE INBOARD 38B 42B 44A 44B FOUR

List Price: $288.28 Price: $189.41 & FREE Shipping You Save: $98.87 (34%)

Only 9 left in stock.

Ships from and sold by Rareelectrical.

Estimated Delivery Date: Wednesday, Sept. 16 when you choose Two-Day Shipping at checkout.

• 100% NEW and Made with the Highest Quality Components Available
  • Full One Year Warranty
  • Computer tested for consistent Quality and unsurpassed reliability
  • Meets or Exceeds Original Specifications
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 10:41   #12

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

I wouldn't suggest beating on it. Are you planning to use the boat regularly...ie...full time, seasonally each year? then pull it and clean and lube the the through out gear and assembly. if you plan on using the boat once in a while. buy a new one and lube it before you install it.

remember one thing that applies to every material thing on this planet. The less you use it, the faster it ages. Hell it works the same way with your body.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 13:21   #13

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnOMalleys View Post
Ok, so pricing new starter- Westerbeke OEM $760. Mitsubishi starter that fits @$350-$500. Then I find this NEW OEM MITSUBISHI STARTER MOTOR WESTERBEKE MODEL 8.0WMD 10.0BTDA 11.0BTD 030593 - Newegg.com
Anyone bought from Newegg before? $162 for a new starter... If it's too cheap, it raises alarms.
The starter is not usually one of the marinized parts so if you can get it for 169. buy it. take your old one out , clean it and keep as a spare. I have had my starter on my Westerbeke 42 B rebuilt for $120 and then found a new one for $149. Don't buy from Westerbeke unless it's one of their proprietary parts. BTW, I painted the hell out of the new starter before putting it in.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 13:58   #14

I agree with Mark. Ive used plenty of the cheap ones and factory expensive ones, paint them grease them up , use them regularly , keep salt water away from them and they last about the same time. ( Note for other readers, if you have a petrol inboard they sometimes use different starter motors that are less likely to arc and ignite fumes )

Old 14-09-2015, 23:40   #15

Just to let you know what am going through I have a 44b same problem as well. It was a pain to get the starter out take both water hoses off then you won't swear as much as I did I bought the starter from real electric. For 189.00 and free shipping will be here this Friday my old starter is being rebuilt as a spare probably be as expensive as the new one ?? Don't forget your can of red spray paint Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1442299200.986283.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	109056

May a restless wind always fill your sails!!
Ricky j reading is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke