Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 16:12   #1

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Westerbeke 46 Questions- mostly electrical

For those familiar with this engine, I could use some feedback. This engine seems hard to find good documentation in general and electrical in particular.

For example, eight wire vs. twelve wire harness. Seems to be related to the addition of the fuel shutoff solenoid and lift pump wired through the oil switch. My friend's Cal 39 has these. Post 84-85 or so. But I can't find an accurate schematic for the twelve wire harness.

Trying to resolve some intermittent electrical issues. And it's hard to "read up" on this wiring to help the trouble shooting. I have determined how many things are wired, some of it seems odd.

Like power to the fuel shutoff enables flow. Removing power stops flow. Removing 12v allows the plunger and spring to extend upward blocking the flow. Not the best solution in my opinion.

Anyway, it shuts off "mechanically". However, not reliably. Sometimes right when the key kills power. Sometimes it continues until it randomly decides to shut down after a few seconds or even a minute. It does have the manual shutoff lever as well, just no cable installed. I'm thinking the solenoid plunger is sticking. Expensive $400+ solenoid. Need to verify 12v disconnects at key off.

Because, it's doing other qwirky things.

Like sometimes at key off the engine shuts down but the fuel pump continues to run. Then one can tap the preheat button briefly and the pump stops. Puzzling.

I do know the key switch powers the preheat button, which powers the start button and the glow plug relay. AND, the fuel pump receives power then by way of the oil switch safety interlock circuit. Exact circuit path TBD.

One must hold the preheat to keep the fuel pump going until oil pressure builds and keeps the pump going. Through an alternate path that probably involves the glow plug relay. It's got more wires than normal.

Next I will clean and inspect every connection on the engine, and maybe start building my own wiring diagram.

Already installed new key switch, preheat and start buttons. Factory parts. Because the qwirky behavior seemed to be related to these items. But now seems related to the pieces these items control.

Some questions.

Anybody know of an actual accurate wiring diagram, 12 wire?

W46 skippers, when you key on does the alarm beep-beep-beep-beep instead off continuous beep?

Testing the water temp switch produces a continuous alarm, normally open, ground the wire, continuous alarm sounds, seems normal. Testing the oil pressure switch, normally closed, engine off, key on, beep-beep-beep, remove wire, beep alarm continues, seems wrong.

Gonna have to deep dive on this. Any thoughts?

The available documentation I have found is, simply, inadequate.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 15-09-2017, 05:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Westerberg 46 Questions- mostly electrical

https://www.westerbeke.com/technical...ech_manual.pdf

https://www.westerbeke.com/parts%20m...5btd_parts.pdf

https://www.westerbeke.com/Category/...73B27F88DA26B?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 14:13   #3

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Westerberg 46 Questions- mostly electrical

Thanks Gord but I have those for a few days now. Wrong diagram.

About an hour ago I found the 12 wire harness in a manual for other Westerbeke engines. Appears to be the harness on my friends Cal.

Fourth hit on this Google search. Westerbeke pub. Number 37435.

Now to make some sense of intermittent electrical issues. Fun times.

https://www.google.com/search?q=West...60.G59sIhY3R6c

Tags
cal, electric, electrical