Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2023, 19:31   #16

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: Westerbeke 71C Raw Water Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richrsd14 View Post
My Westerbeke 55A IV engine had a Westerbeke 038445 water pump">raw water pump I replaced. That pump IS a Sherwood R10870G BUT the pedestal DID have to have to be modified to fit the needlessly custom Westerbeke bracket. A local machinist matched the original by cutting a rabbet notch along both of the long sides. Took him about 1/2 hour & cost me $50. I saved $900 by buying the Sherwood pump online. Hopefully I won’t be blackballed by Westerbeke next time I actually do need to buy a part from them for the 55A, which I’m told is a marinized Mitsubishi L2 or L3 tractor engine but don’t quote me on that since I haven’t confirmed it. I hear folks do buy Mitsubishi parts for this & other Westerbekes from tractor part suppliers for 1/4 the price, but they say never to mention the part is for a Westerbeke or the Mitsubishi part will suddenly become unavailable. You own a tractor ��
Correct on the parts source. The trick is knowing what equipment or tractor the engine was used in. I'm not real familiar with Westerbeke but I am with Universal which 'beke owns. The cross over info is available online for the Universal engines, and probably for 'bekes as well. For Universal their sales agreement with Kubota requires the tractor dealers to not sell parts for the boat engines. Tell them it's for a B1550 tractor or something and they'll happily sell it to you for 1/4 the Universal price. The only difference is the label.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, raw water, raw water pump, water, water pump, westerbeke