Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2021, 07:08   #1

Westerbeke engine ID

I recently purchased a sailboat with a 4 cyl Westerbeke. No engine records came with the boat. How do I identify which model engine it is. Is there a specific location on the engine block with accurate engine identification numbers. I’ve read the serial number guide in the Westerbeke online FAQs. But where would serial number be embossed on the engine?
t27radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:06   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Westerbeke engine ID

Welcome to the forum, t27. Stand by for some head scratching.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:17   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

OK. This PDF tells you how to translate the SN when you find it.

https://www.westerbeke.com/userfiles...May%202012.pdf

here's one thread on IDing it.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ne-220412.html

You can look up some other threads - there are about three of them.

Now for the real fun. Unless you are of the "hang the expense" school of boat ownership, intent on making a small fortune out of a large fortune, you need to identify what the engine actually is, and then what off-the-shelf parts whoever designed the engine used. My Westerbeke/Universal M25 generator uses Kubota starters for $63 off Amazon, or Westerbeke starters for $1200. The constant speed throttle is available from a big truck supplier for $125, or, once again, $1200 from Westerbeke. You'll see some cues in the threads.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, t27radio.

Westerbeke engine model/serial numbers generally appear on a silver & black nameplate, located on the manifold, and stamped on to the engine block, just above the injection pump.
See tkeithiu's first link, to decipher it.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:02   #5

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

My 3 cylinder Westerbeke engine is a Mitsubishi motor marinised by westebeke,
The Identifying numbers are cast into the block on the right hand side of the engine, Looking towards the front of the engine,
Just above the water pump impellor,
Hope this helps,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine number on B30 005.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	234311  
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:06   #6

Thanks to everyone for the quick reply. This also came from Westerbeke support.

D iesel units, the engines model and serial number are located on an I.D. plate that is mounted on the side of the water jacketed exhaust manifold. The engine serial number is also stamped into the engine block on the flat surface just outboard of the fuel injection pump.

Gas units The nameplate may be mounted on the side of the jacketed exhaust manifold. The engine serial number is also stamped into the flat block surface located just above the manual shutoff lever.
t27radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 13:04   #7

My engine - Westerbeke 13, circa 1985. Same problem - can't ID SN: the aluminum or other alloy nameplate is so corroded, can't read the SN. I have slowly sanded the corrosion off, will try machinist blue dye, then wipe off to get contrast. Without major dismantling cannot see the side of block where the cast SN is supposedly visible.

Related Qs; last run of engine last season - raw water was squiring out the vented loop vent! Safe to assume that the mixing elbow and/or hose to it is partially blocked, correct?
I have massive pipe wrench and having trouble budging the elbow (2" threaded nipple (may be steel!) between elbow & manifold. Any ideas how to crack that elbow?
RPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 13:20   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPierre View Post
My engine - Westerbeke 13, circa 1985. Same problem - can't ID SN: the aluminum or other alloy nameplate is so corroded, can't read the SN. I have slowly sanded the corrosion off, will try machinist blue dye, then wipe off to get contrast. Without major dismantling cannot see the side of block where the cast SN is supposedly visible.

Related Qs; last run of engine last season - raw water was squiring out the vented loop vent! Safe to assume that the mixing elbow and/or hose to it is partially blocked, correct?
I have massive pipe wrench and having trouble budging the elbow (2" threaded nipple (may be steel!) between elbow & manifold. Any ideas how to crack that elbow?

If you’ve got water coming out of the vent, there’s a good chance the duckbill (or other check valve) is bad. I’d look here before going further.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 19:20   #9

Thanks, but i am not familiar with the duckbill (on a marine exhaust.) I am familiar with big duckbill valves on storm drain systems. My exhaust appears to be pretty std. with no such valve. downstream of vented loop is the mixing elbow, 2.5 in exhaust hose, wet muffler, 2.5 in exhaust hose to open exhaust in transom. I was getting some flow out of the exhaust.
RPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 20:06   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPierre View Post
Thanks, but i am not familiar with the duckbill (on a marine exhaust.) I am familiar with big duckbill valves on storm drain systems. My exhaust appears to be pretty std. with no such valve. downstream of vented loop is the mixing elbow, 2.5 in exhaust hose, wet muffler, 2.5 in exhaust hose to open exhaust in transom. I was getting some flow out of the exhaust.

You said you had water coming out of the vented loop. The loop typically has a duckbill valve or a diaphragm as the one way valve to allow air I n but not allow water out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vent...e-gws-wiz-serp
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, westerbeke