Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2017, 08:01   #1

Boat: 1990 Nonsuch 30
Westerbeke exhaust riser loose

Hi folks, I have a W21 with a custom fabricated exhaust riser before the mixing elbow.

The problem is that the iron pipe connected to the exhaust flange keeps vibrating loose after a few dozen hours of running the engine.

This video shows it:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fnv81GEGySGJ5PpG2

The mechanic has tried to tighten the connection twice now, and said there's nothing more he can do.

He recommended I fabricate a steel strut around the riser and fasten to an engine bolt -- with the goal of keeping the riser and engine vibrating at a similar frequency.

Would this help and be would be worth the investment to mitigate the problem? Or is it likely that I can continue to operate as-is without much concern?

I've confirmed there's no CO leak thus far so I'm on the fence if this needs attention, immediately or otherwise.

Thanks!
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 13:28   #2

Re: Westerbeke exhaust riser loose

Your mechanic is correct. Install a support brace/bracket triangulated from the end of the riser pipe to a strong bolt such as a flywheel housing bolt. This should prevent the riser pipe from vibrating loose.

You can google some of the marine muffler sites to get an idea of support bracket design.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, westerbeke