Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2018, 09:25   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Re: Westerbeke generator SITUATION

Attached are two photos of my generator. One is throttle closed, the other open. First time I attached photos, So Hope it works. From the troubleshooting so far, it still points to that high pressure pump, as unlikely as it seems. Does it look like it has been apart and reassembled?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180121_121048.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	162579   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180121_121005.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	162580  

Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 10:20   #32

Thank you for the pics. We have the same setup.
The high pressure fuel pump and injectors were serviced last week at a top notch place in ft Lauderdale. I suppose something could have gone wrong in there but really want to believe that’s not the case.
suemw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 10:26   #33

We’re back to the troubleshooting the electronic governor.
We’ve found NO AC voltage at the controller terminal board from the sensor while the engine is running.
We will inspect the sensor.
Old 21-01-2018, 11:01   #34

There are two wires that go to the actuator from the speed controller. There are connectors near the actuator. From what you describe, the controller is attempting full throttle and the engine stays at idle. To test this, start the engine, then disconnect one of the wires to the actuator. If the controller and actuator are working correctly, the actuator will retract when you disconnect that wire. The A.C. from the sensor is a small voltage and tricky to read. It shows more like noise. I have a Oscope and looked at this voltage.
Old 21-01-2018, 12:06   #35

Pitchondesign We disconnected the wire and the actuator retracted.
We are not getting a reading from the sensor.
Whole thing is a living nightmare. High pressure fuel pump had better not be the issue!
Will call injector place first thing tomorrow and then call mechanic. So much for leaving for the Bahamas any time soon.
Old 21-01-2018, 15:30   #36

If the actuator retracted, the speed sensor is working. If you need to convince yourself, lift one of the speed sensor lead to the control module and watch the actuator retract. As I said, the speed sensor voltage is difficult to measure.

These are tough problems. I can't tell you how many of these we have had. Last year, our generator crashed, couldn't get parts in any reasonable semblance of time. It was spend the season at a marina in Florida, or spend it at a marina in the Bahamas. We chose the Bahamas. Spent the season at the Buff House at Green Turtle. Their winter monthly rates were affordable. We had a great time there.
Old 21-01-2018, 16:44   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Westerbeke generator SITUATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by suemw View Post
Just tried disconnecting the arm from the throttle and started the engine. We moved the throttle further to the right and still had no increase in rpms.

Sorry I have been working on my boat.
What you did proved that the electronic speed control is not your issue.
You floorboarded the engine if you will, and it did not accelerate. You opened the throttle to full and it didn’t respond. You have either a fuel delivery problem, or an air problem meaning restricted intake or exhaust.
I believe you have a fuel delivery problem, your getting fuel flow, but not enough apparently.
I’m sure you have been through a clogged fuel filter before. Your motoring along fine and the engine just begins to slow down. Runs smooth, just no power to keep the RPM up, that is a fuel delivery issue. Usually as air leak will cause an engine to surge, or hunt in RPM.

I’d pull the dip tube from the tank and make sure it’s clear, that there is no sock screen on the end of it etc, and then make sure the hoses are clear and not kinked.
Then I would replace the boost pump, cheap and easy to do and you need a spare electric boost pump for when your diaphragm boost pump breaks on your main engine and to have for your generator too.

On edit, you did bypass everything and went straight to a Jerry can and that didn’t fix it, so about all that is left is the boost pump and or hoses on the generator itself.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 17:29   #38

I agree with a64 pilot. My only reservation is when you ran the engine, and disconnected the fuel return line, there was fuel streaming out. That suggests the low pressure pump is OK, and there was enough fuel for the high pressure pump. Still replacing the L.P. pump is cheap. You can also blow out the fuel line at the same time. If you had a pump you could insert in the fuel line before the L.P. pump, you could push lots of fuel and see what happens.

Presumably the engine is getting air. I suspect your mechanic checked this.
Old 21-01-2018, 18:15   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Westerbeke generator SITUATION

There was return fuel, there will be, but usually return fuel may be several time what is burned, making an average Diesel engine a sort of fuel polisher.
I think there will be return fuel, even if the engine isn’t getting enough to make full power.

Otherwise, I’m out of ideas. Nothing else is can think of would be intermittent
Old 21-01-2018, 19:27   #40

If it's not the LP fuel pump, and you are certain the fuel lines are OK, there is only the high pressure pump remaining, however unlikely it seems.
Old 22-01-2018, 04:43   #41

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

There may be one other possibility.
I don’t know if it even applies to this engine, but if the fuel return is too free flowing there may not be enough fuel pressure to flood the injector pump on each stroke. Maybe try partially restricting the return line and see if that helps.
It’s a long shot....but who knows.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 10:55   #42

Boat: 1979 Endeavor 32

I have read this entire thread. But I do not own that setup so I'm shooting from the hip. The following applied to a Yanmar propulsion setup. Multiple problems were retired.

Disassembled fuel system from tank 2 high pressure pump. Found trash in a 90 degree fitting so 90-degree fittings were removed. Still had intermittent fuel problem.

Replaced all flexible fuel line. Sometimes the inner liner separates and partially collapses. This will cause an intermittent restriction. It is a cheap fix that will eliminate one possibility.

On mine, the high pressure pump started sticking. We found that out after eliminating everything else. Ultimately, it quit running all together.

My mechanic filled the fuel filter with Lucas fuel treatment. He bled the lines until straight fuel treatment came out. He fired the engine over with lubricating starter fluid until he was certain the Lucas filled the high pressure pump and the injectors. Then he let it sit.

Again, using lubricating starting fluid, he fired the engine over until it would run on its own. Now it hums like a neon sign.

NOTE: Extreme care should be taken when using starting fluid. Improper use can cause engine damage. If you don't know how it's done, have someone else do it for you.
Old 22-01-2018, 13:09   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Theo only other thing I can think of internal fuel control Governor.
It of course only allows X RPM no matter what you do with the fuel lever, it’s this governor that allows you to run your main engine wide open in neutral.
If it is malfunctioning, it could be trimming the engine back, regardless of where the fuel lever is placed.
However if the fuel control was overhauled, it is supposed to have been checked.
Old 22-01-2018, 13:40   #44

Update.
Talked to the folks that serviced the pump and injectors this morning. After going over all we did he determined that the electronic governor is not the problem because when we disconnected the arm and manually moved the throttle we still got no increase in rpms. He thinks something got into the injectors or pump during the re-install. He wants us to bring it back to them in Lauderdale. Mechanics came this afternoon and agreed that the pump and injectors needs to be brought back to service shop. They didn’t have time to take the pump off today so returning tomorrow morning. Ughhhh!
Old 22-01-2018, 15:51   #45

At least they are working it in a timely manner. Sometimes it takes weeks.

Tags
generator, westerbeke