Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2009, 08:48   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Westerbeke Impeller

Well, as I'm getting to know my new (used) boat I keep running into some really "interesting" items. Latest thing I discovered is that the water pump">raw water pump is mounted backwards, ie the cover plate is facing the back of the engine low on the left side of the block. Asked the PO and he said to change the impeller you have to remove the whole pump. #$@#$%!!!!!!!

After cursing the harebrained engineer that came up with that design (I'm pretty sure if I had submitted something that dumb when I was in engineering school the prof would have flunked me on that project) I wondered if anyone had come out with an adapter or new pump to turn the thing around. I called Westerbeke and their response was essentially "Huh?" so no joy there.

Anyone else ever run into this? Engine is 1984 model 55 HP, I believe designated model number is W58.

Thanks
Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 10:44   #2

Boat: Irwin sloop
Can you see anything on the pump or coverplate that might identify the make or model? With no help coming from Westerbeke this might be a good source for info. There is also a good chance the engine is a Perkins marine model as Weaterbeke sold lots of them under their name. There is a link to shop manuals for these engines online, the year and hp points to the 4108. If you can post a photo someone is bound to recognize it.
Jesse
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 17:58   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Can you see anything on the pump or coverplate that might identify the make or model?
Jesse
Well actually that's the problem. The cover plate faces the back of the engine and you can't see it or get to it. The pump, compared to any other I have ever seen, is mounted backwards on the motor.

I have the Westerbeke manual, pump part number, impeller part number, etc (unfortunately not with me but on the boat). What I am trying to find out is if there is a replacement pump or some modification that will allow me to turn the pump around so I can change the impeller without having to remove the whole pump assembly from the motor.

Skip
Old 15-08-2009, 18:37   #4
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
My experience with perkins raw water pumps has been that it will go through two or three lip seals for each impeller. I had been taking it to a place for rebuild, last time it started to leak I bought a major repair kit. The impeller looked like new,Bearings were tight, lip seal shot. I have two pumps, one I purchased new. I get a year between servicing.I've never had to change just an impeller, meaning the pump had to come off. I don't think the 400 dollar expense for a different pump would be worth it. PS with a 40 dollar bearing splitter/puller kit from harbor freight and a hand impact driver rebuild on pumps takes a whopping half hour. Anyone know where to get an Ervine 10514 lip seal at a non marine price? 13 bucks is best I've found so far. Fits Sherwood g65
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 19:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Guess I am not explaining the situation very well. I don't want to rebuild the existing pump, don't need to replace the impeller or seal or gasket at the moment. When I do need to replace the impeller or rebuild the pump I know how to do it and have all the parts to do it with.

The problem is that when I do want to replace or rebuild anything the pump is inaccessible. You cannot reach the faceplate, the screws, the impeller or anything. The faceplate of the pump is behind the pump, on the wrong side, the back side, the side of the pump at the back of the engine. To remove the impeller or anything is impossible without removing the entire pump from the engine. That means taking off the hoses, unbolting the pump housing from the bracket on the engine block and taking it completely off to then turn it around in your hand to remove the face place and replace the impeller.

This is what I am trying to fix. I am asking if there is a modification or replacement that turns the pump around to the correct side so the impeller can be replaced without disassembling the whole kit and caboodle?
Old 16-09-2009, 06:33   #6

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
similar to my Westerbeke 4-91

Your setup sounds similar to my W30. I have removed my pump to replace the impeller, too. There is a company that sells an easy-on, easy off face plate for the pump. It comes with captive knurled screws you can turn with one hand. I forget the name, but they usually advertise in the backs of sailing mags. Costs less than $100; British made I think. Hope this helps. Let us know what you come up with.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 07:40   #7

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter
I have the same problem with my Yanmar 4JH2E. You can read about my current water pump problems here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...elp-29159.html

I purchased an impeller removal tool to hopefully get the impeller out. I am trying it this weekend and will report if it worked or not. I can access the face plate by getting behind the engine and blindly reaching in there. There is barely enough room for a hand to work with, so removing the impeller has proved to be difficult.

The way it looks to be set up, I have no idea how I am going to remove the pump itself it it comes to it. Two of the bolts holding it on are blocked by one of the mounts. I'm praying that it is just the impeller and the tool will get it out for me.
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 07:43   #8

Depends on how the pump is driven. If it is gear or shaft you are stuck, if it's a belt drive MAYBE.

Ours is easy to get too but we just swap out the pumps since we have two pumps. I bench the job then.

Here ya go:

westerbeke, marine generators, engines, Official Site
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 09:15   #9

Boat: c&c landfall 43
On another note because I have the same engine w55 and yes the pump in my mind is on backwards. twice I have had to take the pump off underway during a week trip and once on a weekend trip. does anyone know of where to get these pumps for a decent price? I paid 750 bucks in Vancouver for a new one. I am looking for a used pump or after market match. cheers limmer
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 08:22   #10
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Interesting- I can get the impeller off my W58 without removing the pump. (mine's a few years older)
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 09:00   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
Interesting- I can get the impeller off my W58 without removing the pump. (mine's a few years older)
What year? My setup is a standard, impeller raw water pump with a pulley driven by a belt off the front of the engine. But the pulley is on the front side of the pump with the pump inself behind it and facing aft. How is yours rigged and where can I get one like it?

Thanks
Skip
Old 18-09-2009, 09:12   #12
S&S

'82. I believe it's stock westerbeke. I'll take a closer look this afternoon and post this weekend.
Old 18-09-2009, 10:14   #13

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
phasor too

I've got a phasor that suffers from the same undesireable trait. The pump is an oberdorfer, and there is no way to re-mount it without reinventing the wheel. The pump is driven off of the cam gears from a hole intedede for just what it is being used for (aux drive). I'll bet if you practice your yogi chants you'll be able to change the impeller without removing the pump. I have mine down to 10 minutes, 3-5 curses and minimal blood.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 17:44   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
All too often these *&^%& designers do some incredibly assholian things when designing engines.....On a certain type of Cummins, you have to remove the oil cooler to get to the water pump....On some Ford Lehmans the Oil filter is mounted with the filter on top and the head on the bottom....so it is a real chore to keep from getting oil into the bilge (I suggest to the owner to invest in some new oil lines and remotely mount the filter so when you pull the filter off the oil stays in the filter.....Detroit Diesels are the same way in some cases.

As far as waterpumps go, the "yacht designers" try to cram the engines into the smallest space without regard for maintenance access.

Attention all hands....The rant light has been extinguished
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 07:23   #15
S&S

Haven't forgotten, something came up this weekend- patience, please.

Tags
westerbeke