Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2018, 09:00   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 30U
Westerbeke W33 block origin?

My search for the origin of the W33 block has so far turned up Mitsubishi but no model number. I am aware of the problems with Westerbeke parts pricing and their agreements with manufacturers but I am also aware that others have found their block origins and have been able to source reasonably priced parts.
After surfing many sites and forums this one seemed to have the most tantalizingly close leads so I have joined in the hope that someone here can fill in the block number that I need.
Aside from that I’ve watched this forum for some time and plan to participate and help out where I can.

Thanks for any help.
Oldshipwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 18:16   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Westerbeke W33 block origin?

As usual with something this old there is a lot of uncertainty, but it seems to be either a KE150 or a K4E, which may be the same, or close to the same thing.

According to Westerbeke the W33 is 78mm x 78mm. I could find no specs on the KE150, so I don't know if that is a misprint or if it is accurate.

There is information that implies that the base engine is the same as a Vetus M4.14, but their operators manual lists the engine model as a K4E, and the displacement as 76mm x 78mm.

The exploded views of the heads of the W33 and the M4.14 look the same.

W33

M4.14

If you have the serial number a call to an experienced engine distributor like Mack Boring might be your best bet to shed some light on what you actually have...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 19:41   #3

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldshipwright View Post
My search for the origin of the W33 block has so far turned up Mitsubishi but no model number. I am aware of the problems with Westerbeke parts pricing and their agreements with manufacturers but I am also aware that others have found their block origins and have been able to source reasonably priced parts.
After surfing many sites and forums this one seemed to have the most tantalizingly close leads so I have joined in the hope that someone here can fill in the block number that I need.
Aside from that I’ve watched this forum for some time and plan to participate and help out where I can.

Thanks for any help.
Did you get the model # from the block? If not you need to find out the block model and the displacement. This is usually stamped on the block itself, not on a plate of anything like that, located near the governor - the model at the top and the cylinder capacity below. Once you know that you do a search - this is how I found out which mine is (Westerbeke 30B3).
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 19:45   #4

Thanks Jim, one more clue to run down. A quick search turned up an interesting pair of eBay posts from th same seller. One is for a Vetus 4.14 which he refers to as a Mitsubishi KE 150 and the other for a KE 150 block. The Vetus 4.14 is obviously a four cylinder engine but the KE 150 head photo Shows only three holes.
Clearly he has his wires crossed somewhere.
The Vetus K4E looks very close but as you point out, not exact.
Old 14-12-2018, 19:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Did you get the model # from the block? If not you need to find out the block model and the displacement. This is usually stamped on the block itself, not on a plate of anything like that, located near the governor - the model at the top and the cylinder capacity below. Once you know that you do a search - this is how I found out which mine is (Westerbeke 30B3).
Unfortunately I’m South for the winter at the moment and can’t get a look at the engine until April. I checked for numbers when I first bought the boat last May but didn’t know where to look so I’m sure I missed them.
Old 14-12-2018, 19:54   #6

Just cruising eBay again and found a set of valves and springs for W33. The seller states that the engine is a Mitsubishi KE 150 block. He seems to be a legit marine diesel guy that has been in good standing on eBay for years.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WESTERBEKE-...-/351654781189
My quest may be over.
Old 14-12-2018, 21:03   #7

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldshipwright View Post
Just cruising eBay again and found a set of valves and springs for W33. The seller states that the engine is a Mitsubishi KE 150 block. He seems to be a legit marine diesel guy that has been in good standing on eBay for years.
My quest may be over.
Great find, he even has a W33 that he is parting out....
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 05:49   #8

Boat: Coast 30

Oldshipwright.

Since the advertisement was last updated in the year 2016... and states may not ship into Canada. It looks like a bit of 'a bait and switch' to attract customers? So perhaps this is more of "a good score" of information?

There is of course no suggestion that this is not a good company owned and operated by a very knowledgeable marine engineer? Has anyone of the CF membership dealt with them?

However Connecticut is a very long way from Vancouver BC. Canada. I would think that the final solution will be using the info to source locally next spring
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 06:44   #9

My engine is running fine. I don’t need anything at te moment. My purpose here was just to find the origin so when I do need parts i don’t have to be held up by Westy.
Check out these ads that I found for comparison sake. I realize that the K4E is/May not be the same as KE150 but .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	579F3135-5E02-4C8D-AA08-4566452BC230.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	182369   Click image for larger version

Name:	5BEC00D9-6488-4165-886C-E360B6398DE3.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	182370  

Old 08-02-2019, 15:14   #10

Boat: C&C 40 AC

It is a KE 150, Vetus used the same block as Westerbeke, so did Toro Lawn Equipment on the Reelmaster 450-D, my W33 started knocking in November on my C&C 40, I looked at rebuilding, best price I found for a full rebuild kit was almost $2000, I found a low time used engine, swapped some of the marine jewelry and I am up and running. I am storing the old engine for parts and possible total rebuild ( bucket list thing)
ikebartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 15:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikebartlett View Post
It is a KE 150, Vetus used the same block as Westerbeke, so did Toro Lawn Equipment on the Reelmaster 450-D, my W33 started knocking in November on my C&C 40, I looked at rebuilding, best price I found for a full rebuild kit was almost $2000, I found a low time used engine, swapped some of the marine jewelry and I am up and running. I am storing the old engine for parts and possible total rebuild ( bucket list thing)
Was the replacement engine you found from a Toro?
Old 08-02-2019, 15:28   #12

No, it was a Westerbeke W33, the exhaust (forward vs aft) and heat exchanger were different. It also had a remote oil filter that will ease the pain of oil changes.
Old 08-02-2019, 15:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikebartlett View Post
No, it was a Westerbeke W33, the exhaust (forward vs aft) and heat exchanger were different. It also had a remote oil filter that will ease the pain of oil changes.
It would have been a lot like mine. I have a V drive so the exhaust is on the “front” of the engine.
Old 08-02-2019, 15:42   #14

I have a V Drive, my exhaust is on the tranny end, forward
Old 08-02-2019, 16:36   #15

I have a four cylinder westerbeke I thought was 44hp I'm still not sure what it is. It had ingested water through the exhaust in to the head which is apparently a common accurrance with them ? It came with a brand new spare alternator and starter motor injectors hoses maybe 30 filters recon kit headgasket ect. I picked it up in pieces for $475.00 NZ dollars. I see one is being parted on the NZ Trade me site it has ingested water in to the head as well ?
samfreeland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke