Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 07:04   #1

Westerbeke W80 - Starter lug keeps breaking

On our Westerbeke starter there is a copper lug between the starter solenoid and the starter, which is energized when the starter button is pressed. About a month ago the one on it broke in half and the engine wouldn't crank anymore. I replaced it with one that was on a spare starter we had on board, and now this one has broken too!

Any ideas on what the issue is? I'm thinking of replacing it with a cable, however short it might be, as that would absorb the vibration from the engine much better.

Below is a picture of the original one that broke, and the new one before it broke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010074.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	138832  
sailingunity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Westerbeke W80 - Starter lug keeps breaking

Yes, a cable is fine.
See “A” ➥ STARTER MOTOR - Westerbeke

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:22   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think cable is the best answer if you can't find that the solenoid is loose or something. I would think for this to happen, that something has to be loose allowing movement. I'd pull the starter and see, assuming its accessable
Do you have room for the cable to make a loop?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:26   #4

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Seems odd, the solenoid and the starter should vibrate as a unit (if they're bolted together that is). Is the solenoid slightly loose, or is the stud on either the solenoid or starter? A short cable would be find I'd think, many starters have them...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:25   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Just an observation: That lug looks like it's untinned copper, a.k.a. "auto-grade" and is not only intrinsically soft (the metal looks thin) but is subject to corrosion in sea air. Whatever you decide, go with tinned lugs and proper marine wire. Both are slightly larger than regular land equivalents.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:51   #6

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Looks like a paperclip that has been bent back and forth too many times. Copper conducts well, but is a soft metal.

You may want to continue to look for the source of the vibration.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:57   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Looking closely at the break, it is an irregular pattern, not a smooth line. It could be that the bolt was just too tight for such a soft metal, and it was crushed. That action would also weaken the metal. You want a good conductor because of the high current going through. Crushing the metal would also reduce the thickness, and the higher current could make things worse. It looks like an easy enough piece to fabricate out of a strip of copper. Why not try making a new one, and install without too much torque on the bolt, then keep a good eye on it for a few weeks to see if it cracks.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:40   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Not seeing any feedback from anyone with a similar problem? I guess a wire may solve it but may cover up another problem, i.e. a loose solenoid as someone had mentioned. I'm curious about the elongated slot. is it possible it is intended to allow a minute amount of movement and should have a star washer used rather than torquing down very tight JMHO best of luck!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Seems odd, the solenoid and the starter should vibrate as a unit (if they're bolted together that is). Is the solenoid slightly loose, or is the stud on either the solenoid or starter? A short cable would be find I'd think, many starters have them...
It does seem weird. OP: If you do a cable, do a loop, not a short stiff cable.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:47   #10

Boat: Casacde 36

You sure that the bolt, in the slotted hole, was not under tension? Make sure the link fits flat and square with its terminals, before tightening. It's an electrical connection, not a structural item.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:49   #11

Here is your issue:

Excessive vibration of the starter is work hardening, then cracking this metal. You've got a loose mounting bolt, missing shim, bolt too long to tighten, stripped nut, or some other issue that is not allowing the other mounts to be tightened securely and the resulting vibration is cracking this electrical connector.

Had this same issue on another engine.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:33   #12

Well I got a 12" (tinned) cable to replace the copper terminal, and was installing it when the post broke off the starter, great. Looks like there is some corrosion on the inside of the post. I don't suppose this is an easy fix?
Old 02-01-2017, 11:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
Well I got a 12" (tinned) cable to replace the copper terminal, and was installing it when the post broke off the starter, great. Looks like there is some corrosion on the inside of the post. I don't suppose this is an easy fix?
Maybe that's been wiggling causing your issue. Starters are not complicated, either take it off and get it apart to fix it or find a shop that can do that for you.
Those shops are getting harder to find now days, but should still be some out there, or a mechanic who is wiling to tackle it.

Old 02-01-2017, 13:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Maybe that's been wiggling causing your issue. Starters are not complicated, either take it off and get it apart to fix it or find a shop that can do that for you.
Those shops are getting harder to find now days, but should still be some out there, or a mechanic who is wiling to tackle it.
Does the post just unscrew out of the starter? I didn't want to try backing it out for fear of breaking something else!
Old 02-01-2017, 13:14   #15

A pic would help. Which post is the issue? IIRC, the post on the starter body isn't removable from the outside.....?

Tags
westerbeke