Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2023, 18:17   #1

What do you think?

I know it is hard to tell from a photo, In fact it may be impossible. But if you had to guess. Did this rot or was it cut? If it rotted would a boat make it 9 miles with this big of a hole in a gas line?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23.06.2023_18.10.14_REC.png
Views:	113
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	277191  
Msladya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 19:00   #2

Re: What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msladya View Post
I know it is hard to tell from a photo,
Yes
Quote:
In fact it may be impossible.
Yes
Quote:
But if you had to guess. Did this rot or was it cut?
Fatigued
Quote:
If it rotted would a boat make it 9 miles with this big of a hole in a gas line?
No, wouldn't make 9 yards.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2023, 14:58   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

No reason to assume it was cut. Usually the edges from repeated cycle weakening are pretty smooth, too.

Ann

On edit: fwiw, old, rotten hose gets spongy. If it squeezes easily, it was ready to go at any moment.
Old 25-06-2023, 15:34   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard!
What engine is this? Is this on a jet ski? Judging from the angle of the fiting it is attached to, it looks like the hose was pulling down on the fitting so it is not surprising it is broken. I am wondering if this engine gets a lot of up and down vibration that could have caused it. And, I think, as far as going 9 miles more? Only with divine intervention.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:50   #5

Hi thank you all for your input. This was not on a jet ski. It was on a 16 foot Jon boat. The boat was found. However the person driving the boat has never been found. There is a lot that goes into this story but there is certainly other known reasons to suspect foul play. I wanted to get this out of the way first. From the point of boat launch until the point where the boat started sinking is 7.85 miles. My theory on this part of the case is. Once the motor would not start and the boat started taking on water with the water being rough and the boat being found bow up with about a foot sticking out of the water, My theory is that the line was probably already weak and the motor getting caught up on a sand bar was the most likely cause for the hole in the line. I just do not think if the hole had been there already then the boat would not have made 7.85 miles. So who better to ask then people in a forum about boats. Thank you all so much...
Msladya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:16   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Looks like the hose connection had (at one time) a downward curve just beyond the attachment point. This could point to that hose failure at that point.

Also....a long shot....if the gas being used was an ethanol blend, ethanol is a known rubber hose eater.

Finally, I don't' see any evidence of a hose clamp at that fitting , of there was one, it was fitted over the hose and not the barb, which could also have led to hose failure.

If the hose was cut, you'd likely see a sharp " cut" edge....if frayed, a more uneven edge.

Without being there, shooting in the dark here, but trying to give you some ideas.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 19:24   #7

Boat: Samson C-shell 36

Looks cut

Won’t make 9 miles
Chayal is offline   Reply With Quote