Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2022, 07:37   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: What is the Absolute Lightest Propulsion Available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Yeah. Much better for the motorcycle riding to not have to carry a water propulsion system. Although with a really crappy 2hp outboard, I could probably just chain it to a tree or hide it and chain it, leaving it behind until I return.

I think it’s a 9ft RIB. Maybe 10ft. I kept it small and light. The 9.9 is way too much power for it.

Hmm... If you can carry it well, what about trading the RIB up to a little bigger one? Maybe something in the 12 - 14 foot range and just put the motorcycle in the RIB, no separate raft for it. Ferry it ashore, return RIB to boat, kayak back to motorcycle. Worst case, if the bigger RIB leaves you wanting a bigger engine, the 15hp Tohatsu EFI is the same base engine as your 9.9, so no extra weight (and it's probably possible to swap a few parts and up-rate yours to a 15).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 07:55   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Hmm... If you can carry it well, what about trading the RIB up to a little bigger one? Maybe something in the 12 - 14 foot range and just put the motorcycle in the RIB, no separate raft for it. Ferry it ashore, return RIB to boat, kayak back to motorcycle. Worst case, if the bigger RIB leaves you wanting a bigger engine, the 15hp Tohatsu EFI is the same base engine as your 9.9, so no extra weight (and it's probably possible to swap a few parts and up-rate yours to a 15).
Always good with the brainstorming!

There are some problems to overcome with that idea.

1) Getting the motorcycle from the deck to the RIB. Not a big deal with 2 people, but I’ll be single handed. Getting it to drop in the right spot and stay upright in the RIB that’s tied up abreast to the boat and bouncing around will be really frustrating and won’t go well.

2) Getting the motorcycle in and out of the RIB on land. Picture a boat ramp or a beach. You have a motorcycle in a RIB when you touch land with the bow. Now how do you get a 300lbs motorcycle out of the RIB without damaging the RIB?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 08:37   #18

There are carbon fiber kayaks intended for hikers and fishermen to carry into the backcountry. They don't fold, but they weigh about 15 lbs, are things of beauty, and can easily be paddled for miles. $$$$, though.
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 08:38   #19

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Always good with the brainstorming!

There are some problems to overcome with that idea.

1) Getting the motorcycle from the deck to the RIB. Not a big deal with 2 people, but I’ll be single handed. Getting it to drop in the right spot and stay upright in the RIB that’s tied up abreast to the boat and bouncing around will be really frustrating and won’t go well.

2) Getting the motorcycle in and out of the RIB on land. Picture a boat ramp or a beach. You have a motorcycle in a RIB when you touch land with the bow. Now how do you get a 300lbs motorcycle out of the RIB without damaging the RIB?

Those are good points... RIB isn't the answer then. What you really need is a small aluminum landing craft as a dinghy, but I'm not finding anything smaller than 17 - 18 feet (which is way too heavy). I wonder if a deep sided 14-ish foot jon boat could be modified with a drop gate up front?

Then you just need some kind of padded cradle to lower the bike into from the boat so it doesn't tip over while loading. When arriving on shore, you just nose up to a ramp or beach, drop the front gate and roll the bike out. Would be a handy dinghy for provisions too, as you could just roll a heavy cart loaded with stuff right into the dinghy.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 08:45   #20

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Chotu, I'm not trying to push my YouTube channel on you but I have a couple of videos about my Tahe SUP-Yak and a Watersnake trolling motor. You may see something there that will help. Worth a look anyway.

Old 20-02-2022, 10:35   #21

This is really simple, there are only two scenarios, and one is more likely then the other.

1. On a calm day with a good beach and an offroad bike you simply drive the cat to the beach until you just touch sand, lower the gangway and drive away. Park the bike, return the mothership to the anchorage and use an under 20lbs SUP or kayak to get to the nearest shore, then hike, taxi, etc. to the bike. Works even better in tidal waters, you don't have to get the bike wet.

2. Absent calm days and offroad bike you drive to the nearest public dock or marina, lower the gangway and push the bike on the dock and to the parking lot. Then you flash some money to a fellow cruiser/marina jockey to give you a ride from the anchorange back to the bike in his planing dinghy, or find another way to return to the nearest shore. You could of course leave the cat in the marina, that way you don't have to worry about it when you are away.
Rumpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 11:44   #22
cruiser

I think I heard someone say aluminum landing craft dinghy……….
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2E9E9D5-AA5D-495E-9B04-EE011E48D3D5.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	253289   Click image for larger version

Name:	4793A0F0-D540-4279-B682-F566F78A6230.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	460.7 KB
ID:	253290  

Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 11:48   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvboats View Post
I think I heard someone say aluminum landing craft dinghy……….
Jesus!!! This is beautiful!!! Perfect!!!

Where did you find this?

But still, dropping it from the boat down into that looks like a pretty big nightmare. That’s why the raft is so good. It takes care of its own stability laying its side.
Old 20-02-2022, 11:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Chotu, I'm not trying to push my YouTube channel on you but I have a couple of videos about my Tahe SUP-Yak and a Watersnake trolling motor. You may see something there that will help. Worth a look anyway.

OK. I really don’t have much band with at all to use on stuff like that, can you direct me to the exact video and time that I need to look at? Thank you!
Old 20-02-2022, 12:00   #25

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Kaboats are inflatable that are decent to row. 12’ is 58lb for $700

https://www.saturnrafts.com/12-saturn-kaboat-en.html

If you went electric you could get a 12lb 50ahr LiFePo for $220.

https://www.amazon.com/Ampere-Time-P...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

A 30lb MinnKota would run about $130.

For $35 you can get a Kipawa prop
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 12:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpi View Post
This is really simple, there are only two scenarios, and one is more likely then the other.

1. On a calm day with a good beach and an offroad bike you simply drive the cat to the beach until you just touch sand, lower the gangway and drive away. Park the bike, return the mothership to the anchorage and use an under 20lbs SUP or kayak to get to the nearest shore, then hike, taxi, etc. to the bike. Works even better in tidal waters, you don't have to get the bike wet.

2. Absent calm days and offroad bike you drive to the nearest public dock or marina, lower the gangway and push the bike on the dock and to the parking lot. Then you flash some money to a fellow cruiser/marina jockey to give you a ride from the anchorange back to the bike in his planing dinghy, or find another way to return to the nearest shore. You could of course leave the cat in the marina, that way you don't have to worry about it when you are away.

I’m sorry, but these ideas are no good for me. They take half a day. Too much work. Plus a lot of these options are relying on other people. This is supposed to be self-sufficiency. Not relying on others.

I don’t use marinas.

And I don’t plan to be cruising anywhere where there are fellow cruisers and marina jockeys. You’re not picturing the right location basically. Not the one that I’m trying to convey.

I also really REALLY dislike reanchoring a boat just to launch a motorcycle. And what about wakes? You can’t sit up against shore and just hope you timed it right that a 70ft sport fisher isn’t going by when your boat is in 2-6” or water. Sounds very expensive.
Old 20-02-2022, 12:09   #27
cruiser

Hola,

I have one of his original Aldura 9 footers, when he was building them in Nanaimo, BC with his son in the early 90’s. He only built 122 boats under the Aldura name in 9, 11, and I think 13 foot models. He then built a custom aluminum sailboat which he sailed across the NW passage to his home country of Turkey, I believe. Check out his story online. It is a fairly impressive tale and the pics of his sailboat are rather interesting.

He is now building them in Turkey so shipping/importing fees might be cost prohibitive but might be worth at least contacting him.

We love ours. Been all over the PNW and Alaska. Drive it right up onto the beach, rocks, even icebergs without a concern. Planes and handles like a dream with a 15 hp 2 stroke Yamaha for longer excursions. We also have a 5 hp 2 stroke Yamaha for routine operations that we can leave attached in the davits. Only downside is it can get a little warm in direct sunlight on a hot day.

Here is his current website

BeÅŸmaran Tekneleri Resmi Sitesi – Erkan Gürsoy

Here are a few pics of ours hanging in the Davits for testing while I was fabricating them. Sorry they are sideways as per my usual technology challenges. Turn your head or your screen to make em look right!
Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3F7141C1-F712-408C-A3C1-168C0B5CB9E0.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	447.0 KB
ID:	253293   Click image for larger version

Name:	219084FD-4D90-41F5-823D-F53F2AD85EF5.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	446.9 KB
ID:	253294  

Name:	4AA21A30-14AF-480B-B34D-16131EC5CF56.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	253295  
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 12:11   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Kaboats are inflatable that are decent to row. 12’ is 58lb for $700

https://www.saturnrafts.com/12-saturn-kaboat-en.html

If you went electric you could get a 12lb 50ahr LiFePo for $220.

https://www.amazon.com/Ampere-Time-P...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

A 30lb MinnKota would run about $130.

For $35 you can get a Kipawa prop

Minn Kota!!! I kept looking up Torqueedos and wonder why small electric outboards were so expensive. Thank you!

I think anything that is narrow enough to be easy to row is going to be too narrow to properly support a 300 pound load in choppy water. It seems like it might roll to me.

But, the rest of what you proposed I am going to look into for weight purposes. It would be kind of cool if the motorcycle recharged the propulsion battery as you drove around on land too.

But this set up, combined with the bigger raft, could be just right. Hop on top of the bike or squat right aft of the bike. Ditch the Minn Kota somewhere instead of bringing it with you, And I would have is the raft weight on the bike.

Not a bad solution.

Although, I think 42 pounds for propulsion is still quite a bit heavier than a Weedwhacker motor right?
Old 20-02-2022, 12:24   #29

Thinking a little more about the Outboard with the raft that is capable of carrying the motorcycle, if I kept it pretty cheap, I could deflate the raft, move it somewhere in the bushes, move the Outboard in the bushes as well, chained them up to a tree. Then I wouldn’t have to bring anything with me. As long as they are light enough to easily carry to the other side of a parking lot or something.

And if there is no spot at the boat ramp, they could be put on the motorcycle for a moment, and moved over to someplace that makes more sense to stow them.

I think the lightweight simple and cheap stuff is the way to go for this. There’s a lot of flexibility.

Designing and using really cool boats to do it sounds good, but it’s a lot of work and money.
Old 20-02-2022, 12:36   #30

A cheap inflatable kayak and a back pack maybe? Are you anchored right near shore? Deflate it, stick it in the backpack and hike the 2 miles. ...or do you mean it's 2 miles TO shore?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propulsion