Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2022, 16:49   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
What is this attached to my Universal diesel?

In the center of the picture is a part with two holes, tied to the engine by a previous owner like "you're going to want this someday." What is it?

It has the same paint as the engine, a Universal M-40 / 5432. It looks like it has been used. In my owner manual, there is a picture of a different model engine that has a stop lever that looks similar. My engine does not have a stop lever. I stop it by pulling backwards on the throttle handle.

So, any guesses?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221001_161047.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	265244  
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 16:59   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: What is this attached to my Universal diesel?

It looks like a "lifting point" to me, a place to attach a chain hoist to raise or lower the engine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Universal-M30-5424-Marine-Diesel-Engine-With-Hurth.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	265245  
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 17:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
It looks like a "lifting point" to me, a place to attach a chain hoist to raise or lower the engine.
I think you are right! It seems mine was removed to repurpose that bolt as a ground wire attachment point. The part is tied to a ground wire, so that makes sense.

Thanks! I have had several guesses pop into my mind, but that was never one of them.
Old 02-10-2022, 18:42   #4

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

I agree on the lifting eye.
You may at some point want to address the "grounding scheme".
There appears to be ~6 wires, one, or maybe two using a "main ground bus" is sufficient unto the cause and cleans things up and keeps wires away from a hot engine.
That yellow wire appears to just be wrapped under a lug from another wire which is in turn surrounded by a mass of electrical tape, with a third wire lacking any heat-shrink to prevent moisture ingress/corrosion.
In the upper-right part of the pic, the "lumpy" appearance of the fuel return line may indicate failure in the not-too-distant future, or the hose is bent in a tighter radius than designed for.
The same for the big hose, (upside down SAE marked on it).
Old 02-10-2022, 20:05   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I bet that must have instilled confidence when the previous owner knew you would have to take the engine out someday...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 05:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
I agree on the lifting eye.
You may at some point want to address the "grounding scheme".
There appears to be ~6 wires, one, or maybe two using a "main ground bus" is sufficient unto the cause and cleans things up and keeps wires away from a hot engine.
That yellow wire appears to just be wrapped under a lug from another wire which is in turn surrounded by a mass of electrical tape, with a third wire lacking any heat-shrink to prevent moisture ingress/corrosion.
In the upper-right part of the pic, the "lumpy" appearance of the fuel return line may indicate failure in the not-too-distant future, or the hose is bent in a tighter radius than designed for.
The same for the big hose, (upside down SAE marked on it).
Absolutely on all all of your points! I have a long list of fixes and improvements to make over this next off season, including moving all those ground wires to a ground bus bar off the engine. One of those ground wires has meat hooks sticking out, which at some point in the recent past cut through the wire to the glow plugs, resulting in melted insulation on the glow plug wiring all the way to and from the cockpit control panel.

I am going to completely rewire everything related to the engine, since most of it is old, some is sketchy, and some it down right dangerous. See the picture below of the back of the control panel. At some point, the glow plug fuse holder overheated. Solution? Bypass it! Then the glow plug switch wiring insulation all melted off. Solution? Cover the wiring in plastic tubing! I am amazed this boat did not burn to the waterline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I bet that must have instilled confidence when the previous owner knew you would have to take the engine out someday...
Given that the engine is 40 years old, I have been bracing for the need to completely repower. I am still evaluating the If and When of that project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220903_083204.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	265264  
Old 03-10-2022, 06:50   #7

Boat: Columbia 36

There should be another lifting ring at the diagonally opposite corner of the engine, you'll need both to lift the engine out. Apparently the PO repurposed that bolt for a grounding point then found it wasn't long enough to put the ring back on. It's just a regular metric bolt, any hardware store will have one a bit longer. The Universal M25 installation on my old boat used one of the bell housing bolts for the ground point and only one cable was attached there. A longer bolt was not needed. Better yet is to ground to one of the starter mounting bolts, that puts the current right where it's needed without going through the whole block and potentially loose or greasy connections.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel