Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 12:47   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: What is this piece of my tohatsu 6hp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
It's a 2015. I believe the discoloration is from the exhaust, but do not know. I initially thought it was from the lower unit as my lower unit gear oil is blue. However, that oil looked fine with no discoloration or floating bits. I haven't taken the lower unit off to inspect the impeller as it's a bit of a chore, but haven't noticed any diminished output stream or anything that would lead me to believe the impeller is damaged. Still intend to inspect the impeller, just need to elevate the motor to get at it. Like you, I have the 25" shaft which is a bit of a struggle!
I changed my impeller at the dock after the first year and it looked very good. (I kept it as an emergency spare)

The prop turned and it was a PITA to line things lined up again. I didn't have an engine stand

I always see my exhaust bubbling right out the bottom as usual. I think I'll start it this afternoon and see if I can cause blow by.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:47   #17

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Quote:
Whoops, forgot to mention. My tohatsu is a 4 stroke, but I will make sure to feed my lawn mower appropriately

My guess is its blow by or oil leaking through shaftseal on powerhead. Either way make sure you monitor your engine oil level as im sure your already doing. Some four strokes leak oil if they are layed on their side..
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 13:21   #18

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I always see my exhaust bubbling right out the bottom as usual. I think I'll start it this afternoon and see if I can cause blow by.
My recommendation is to sail around until you hit one of our beloved Chesapeake sandbars, then spend some time at WOT in forward and reverse trying to get off Don't forget to out that elephant ear prop on!

Saldean, you're right, I do check the oil regularly. That's why I was surprised by it - hadn't seen it before and all my oil levels were good so it didn't seem like I had a leak anywhere.

Motor goes back on the boat in two weeks for launch!
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 13:39   #19

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran
What is this piece of my tohatsu 6hp?

Quote:
My recommendation is to sail around until you hit one of our beloved Chesapeake sandbars, then spend some time at WOT in forward and reverse trying to get off Don't forget to out that elephant ear prop on!

Saldean, you're right, I do check the oil regularly. That's why I was surprised by it - hadn't seen it before and all my oil levels were good so it didn't seem like I had a leak anywhere.

Half a teaspoon of oil makes a hell of a mess, i wouldnt worry too much but i would carry spare plugs incase its a bit of blowby and it gets worse, and spare oil. It dosnt sound like the engine has been layed on its side but if it was , then a 4 stroke can get a little oil in all the wrong places.. Have fun boating
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 13:59   #20

Boat: Cornado 25

6hp Tohatsu seapro ... access plug for shift linkage also accesses exhaust outflow passage. As it gets older and hard, you may get some leakage. No big issue. No excess engine oil usage, no excess lower unit usage, no problem. Cary on...
Old 09-03-2017, 06:18   #21

Quote:

I've done that quite a few times already:

I hit bottom up the Severn River after the channel marks discontinue near that marina. I went to look at a boat, and afterward anchored for the night. I sailed across from Smith's Beach just North of Cape Charles where I had anchored the night before

I also hit up Deep Creek on the Eastern Shore. The Deep Creek East of Tangier and North of Onancock. You have to go up that creek near high tide to make it with a 4' draft.

I hit that shoal near Kiptopeke.

I hit on the seaside after sailing under the CBBT Bridge North of Fishermen's Island. Not many sailboats can make it under the spans there. Plus the chart depth is a few years old and the tide had to be down a bit for me to get under. I was exploring a protected anchorage and barely go out

Bottomed out up the Poquoson River after coming around the flats and anchoring for the night. When I woke up in the morning, I had 1' under the keel and came out the wrong way from the anchorage. (when I turned after pulling up the anchor in a fresh breeze in the early am)

I "got off" every time with my Big 5 hp outboard! (plus a little wind and wave assist)

Btw, I didn't see any exhaust or oil coming around the plug when I started it last night but there may have been a bit of residue it's hard to tell with a black engine and where it's mounted

*** And don't forget, if you do lay the engine on it's side for storage, it's tiller side down***
Old 09-03-2017, 06:26   #22

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Heh, it really is true that all Chesapeake sailors are well familiar with groundings then That shoaling off Smith's marina, on the Severn is, incidentally, where I was stuck trying to get my boat hauled out for the winter!
My tohatsu really struggles to pull me off. This last time, I even did the anchor from the mast head, then anchors from two other points (jib winch being one of them) hanging heavy stuff off the spin pole and boom after canting them out, etc. and still couldn't get off, even after inclining the boat 15 degrees. I think that silt suction must be very powerful!

Thanks for checking on your outboard. I'll also check my exhaust at the prop when I remount the motor to make sure it's exiting efficiently. Maybe there's some backup there.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:14   #23

Quote:
Heh, it really is true that all Chesapeake sailors are well familiar with groundings then That shoaling off Smith's marina, on the Severn is, incidentally, where I was stuck trying to get my boat hauled out for the winter!
My tohatsu really struggles to pull me off. This last time, I even did the anchor from the mast head, then anchors from two other points (jib winch being one of them) hanging heavy stuff off the spin pole and boom after canting them out, etc. and still couldn't get off, even after inclining the boat 15 degrees. I think that silt suction must be very powerful!

Thanks for checking on your outboard. I'll also check my exhaust at the prop when I remount the motor to make sure it's exiting efficiently. Maybe there's some backup there.
No problem.

I was up the Severn River up Mobjack Bay going to the Severn River Marina to look at a Cal 31. It probably has a softer bottom that I nudged up on.