Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2022, 18:28   #1

What just happened to my Newport 28?

I was on the water today in my Newport 28 under power, when smoke started to come from the engine compartment. Water was gushing everywhere in the engine compartment. I shut off the engine and had to get a tow back to my slip.

Please see the attached pics. It looks like a cloth covered hose that goes to the propeller (maybe???)and maybe water intake for engine separated.

I have this boat on an inland lake where nobody wants to work on sailboats or inboard engines. Any help is much appreciated.

Boat has an inboard Universal diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221008_174855.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	265518   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221008_174851.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	265519  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221008_174900.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	265520  
d8taslay3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 18:41   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: What just happened to my Newport 28?

That thing wrapped with white insulation is your exhaust elbow and it has broken.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 18:42   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by d8taslay3r View Post
I was on the water today in my Newport 28 under power, when smoke started to come from the engine compartment. Water was gushing everywhere in the engine compartment. I shut off the engine and had to get a tow back to my slip.

Please see the attached pics. It looks like a cloth covered hose that goes to the propeller (maybe???)and maybe water intake for engine separated.

I have this boat on an inland lake where nobody wants to work on sailboats or inboard engines. Any help is much appreciated.

Boat has an inboard Universal diesel.
Hi, engine exhaust pipe (wrapped in fibreglass insulation) has broken allowing exhaust and its cooling water into the engine compartment. Not really a big deal, remove the exhaust section and find, or have made a replacement section and all should be good again.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 18:47   #4

Thanks Uncle Bob!
d8taslay3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 13:40   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@d8taslay3r,

One of our engines had a big iron casting exhaust elbow, which leaked. Jim made up a new one from stainless steel and it lasted the life of our ownership of the boat. Maybe you could have a machine shop weld one up for you, if you do not have welding skills.

Ann
Old 09-10-2022, 13:46   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you are lucky it wasn't salt water all over your engine room. good luck with your elbow replacement.
Old 09-10-2022, 17:23   #7

In the car world there is some debate about exhaust wraps and whether they cause damage. Is wrapping the exhaust elbow common?
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 17:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
In the car world there is some debate about exhaust wraps and whether they cause damage. Is wrapping the exhaust elbow common?

I agree about wrapped and corrosion damage but I can’t explain why the damage occurs. On our dry turbo’s and exhaust systems there is always thick flake rust on the pipes and scroll housings. The only small marine engine that I’ve seen with a wrapped pipe to injection point from new is Beta and almost all yacht engine turbo’s are watercooled but bigger Kw engines often have turbo jackets.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 21:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
I agree about wrapped and corrosion damage but I can’t explain why the damage occurs. On our dry turbo’s and exhaust systems there is always thick flake rust on the pipes and scroll housings. The only small marine engine that I’ve seen with a wrapped pipe to injection point from new is Beta and almost all yacht engine turbo’s are watercooled but bigger Kw engines often have turbo jackets.
It is normal to insulate dry exhaust sections. Diesel exhaust is extremely hot, it can be close to 1000 F. An exposed exhaust pipe would be an extreme burn hazard to people, and would add a HUGE amount of heat to an engine room.

Do NOT skip insulation of the dry sections of your exhaust. Some engine installations have a dry riser that makes water back flow into the engine less likely. This needs to be insulated.

Once water is injected, there is no further need to insulate.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newport