Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2022, 20:35   #16

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: What’s going on here??

You called it two stroke oil...but the ETEC uses a $pecial ETEC oil. And I thought it stinks. At least the amber high grade oil does. Not sure about the blue grade ETEC oil.

I'm sitting here debating what to do with my 25 ETEC, waiting for me to pick it up at the shop. After being for 5 years the best OB I've ever owned, the high pressure pump failed, with no replacement available for 6-8 months. Bought a 25 Yamaha 2 cylinder 4 stroke, and I hate it. Shakes like crazy.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 00:04   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
You called it two stroke oil...but the ETEC uses a $pecial ETEC oil. And I thought it stinks. At least the amber high grade oil does. Not sure about the blue grade ETEC oil.

I'm sitting here debating what to do with my 25 ETEC, waiting for me to pick it up at the shop. After being for 5 years the best OB I've ever owned, the high pressure pump failed, with no replacement available for 6-8 months. Bought a 25 Yamaha 2 cylinder 4 stroke, and I hate it. Shakes like crazy.
Actually, there are two different settings on the Etec engine. You can choose I believe 100:1 and use the BRP oil or you can choose a setting where the more common twc stuff works and it uses more oil. I chose the latter so I didn’t have to hunt down the special stuff.

Boy does that stink about having to buy another outboard. I’m sorry to hear that. Like you, I’ve had no trouble at all with this outboard until this oil leak. And the other one is running just fine.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 02:39   #18

Upon closer inspection, like most things, it’s the most common problem. This is what happened.

https://www.etecownersgroup.com/post...ke-oil-9794986

The O-rings are leaking.

Kind of strange or interesting that it’s only leaking when it’s running. Just sitting there nothing is leaking out. So maybe I can tighten something.
Old 17-12-2022, 04:15   #19

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Thanks!

I'll file this away in case I decide to keep the ETEC and sell the Yamaha.

It amazes me that the OP of the other group didn't know that on his ETEC two stroke motor, the oil is never mixed with the gasoline.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 13:14   #20

Well, defying all logic the problem fixed itself!

Could see a little blue coming out by the seals to the pump yesterday which tipped me off to the seal leak.

Instead of fixing it, I figured I would just run it today to see how bad the leak was and see how long I could get out of the motor without it doing an auto shut down from low oil. And I did. All day long. Just that motor. Lo and behold there is no more leak.

I guess it was upset that it hadn’t been used in so long. Using it seems to have helped the seals seat back together.

Makes no sense, but I’m not going to ask any questions!
Old 17-12-2022, 13:19   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post

And do you want to hear some bad stuff about the high-pressure pump?

The day I launched my boat I had a company in Palatka Florida deliver gasoline to fill my tanks. There weren’t any dockside sources of gasoline.

So they fill my tanks and I go to start the motors. They both struggle to start and die. Then nothing.

Turns out this wonderful company delivered half gasoline and half water to me.

Then they had the nerve to say that my tanks had water in them. My brand new tanks that had never been used before had water in them. And it was my fault that there was water in my fuel.

Unbelievable.

They wouldn’t own up to the damages. I had to pay for brand new injector pumps and the labor to install them because the water destroyed them.

That was my first day with the boat in the water and first day starting these engines.
Old 17-12-2022, 14:12   #22

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Our fuel pump died in the first three months. To be fair to Evinrude, most of our Etec issues are rooted in the fact that we’ve been tied to the one qualified (supposedly) Etec guy here, who is completely wacko. It tends to live at his shop where he occasionally sticks new part$ on it in the hope it might fix whatever is making it constantly go into safe mode and refusing to start. For all we know it may just have been one problem since the beginning, yet to be solved. Currently five months now for the latest stay and no end in sight.

However, the local cops also went Etec one year before switching to Mercs, and they have a warehouse full of dead motors. So we aren’t alone I guess. We’d have been better off with an old guzzler which at least had understandable parts. BRP quitting production obviously hasn’t helped. I think we’ll have to just abandon it and save for a Yamaha .
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote