Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 10:40   #1

Boat: Macgregor 25 FIBERGLASS VENGEANCE
What's the right engine size for a 25?

I'm taking my Mac25 to the Bahamas. Yeah, I know, I'm crazy.

I already knew that. I like the boat, because it does a few things others can't: float when swamped, right itself when capsized, go into 18" of water (like a lot of places I hang out), and is easily trailerable.

That said, I don't plan to take it across the Atlantic, but I do want to be prepared for big waves, and am thinking of getting a larger engine than the Suzuki Out8 that's on there. Hullspeed is around 6.5, and the Suzuki does the trick, but I think safety and control would be positively affected by something larger and more powerful to maneuver the boat in heavy weather.

Anybody want to weigh in? I know I read a TON of helpful info on this subject here once, but can't find it now...

Thanks!
Jack
livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:54   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jack,
Your engine is the right size at 8 and I'd be happy with a 6. Bigger means heavier and you don't want your stern to drag. If you wanted to carry a backup you might want to get a littler (3or4 hp) kicker and stow it below just in case.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:34   #3

Boat: Macgregor 25 FIBERGLASS VENGEANCE
Right engine for a 25?

Yeah, I know it's the right size for the boat in flat water (it pushes me at 7 mph or so), but I figured if it was trying to power up the face of a large wave it might need something stronger, since it's a lot of weight (3450 pounds, plus gear) for that little motor on such an incline where my speed would be greatly reduced, or gods forbid, I'd be surfing backward down a big wave and broaching.

I hear your point about the extra weight though. The Merc 15 is 111 lbs. I'm going to weigh my Suzuki 8hp today, I'm guessing it's 75 or so...
livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 13:28   #4

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
livingstone, my second boat is a Macgregor Venture Newport 23. It has a 9.9 evinrude. When the waves are 5-6 ft. and the period was short, I made more progress going up and down instead of forward. I do not care what size boat, you have to wait on the weather to cross the Gulf Stream. I pounded coming down waves in my Venture and made very slow progress under power fighting the wind in my Allied Princess. If you have been out in a blow with your 8hp you know how your Mac will handle and extra power might not be the answer.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 14:16   #5
cruiser

The "John's" are right.

The 8 is fine - what you need is weather information and timing when crossing the Gulf Stream, not power. Even the most powerful of boats (engine wise) will struggle when caught in a bad/poorly timed crossing.

Take the boat out where you are now next time a small craft advisory is up and see how she powers. It'll be a good, controlled test.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote