Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2024, 08:39   #1

Boat: Orams 52
Question Where can I get a Yanmar 4JH110 for shipping to the Maldives?

Forgive me if I've missed a recent thread that overlaps this.

I am repowering my 52' Orams, reluctantly replacing an old Ford 2715E with 1.52:1 reduction Borg Warner Velvet Drive.

Despite concerns about Common Rail, Turbos and ECUs my best bet might be a Yanmar 4JH110. I will also need a new gearbox.

Can anyone point me to someone who can supply a complete engine and have it shipped to the Maldives at a reasonable cost?

J:-)
Dr.John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 12:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Where can I get a Yanmar 4JH110 for shipping to the Maldives?

Forgive me as this is not responsive to your question, but have you considered rebuilding the Ford (it's a Lehman, right?)? Those are fantastic engines -- last forever, smooth, quiet. Only disadvantages only are great weight (sailing performance), and oil leaks. Oil leaks can be conquered at least temporarily by a good mechanic.

If you do go with a new engine, prefer one with a turbo. Turbo yacht engines are much better because they can be smaller and therefore lighter, and also runs better because at lower power levels (as usual in sailboats) it runs at a higher load factor. Yanmar turbos are bulletproof.

I would however avoid common rail. For all their advantages on paper, they are not good for sailboats which cruise any distance away from qualified service. They are highly intolerant to less than perfect fuel, and any electronic fault will bring down the whole system.

Yanmars are great engines (I have a 4JH3 HTE myself), but if you can't find one without common rail, you might want to look at Betas, which are well marinized Kubotas, simple and good.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 13:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.John View Post
Forgive me if I've missed a recent thread that overlaps this.

I am repowering my 52' Orams, reluctantly replacing an old Ford 2715E with 1.52:1 reduction Borg Warner Velvet Drive.

Despite concerns about Common Rail, Turbos and ECUs my best bet might be a Yanmar 4JH110. I will also need a new gearbox.

Can anyone point me to someone who can supply a complete engine and have it shipped to the Maldives at a reasonable cost?
I prefer to avoid electronically controlled engines for blue water cruisers but we’ve reached a point where they’re impossible to avoid….. Nanni and Betamarine are about the only holdouts. That Ford is a hard act to follow, especially if you drive other stuff off the front of the crankshaft…( refrig compressor, Cat pump, hydraulic pump). Do a few calculations or a tach reading of the propshaft speed at full load and try match the new engine/gearbox package to that speed. I’m not sure what gearbox you’ll get with a 4JH110 so you need to ask about “ahead “ propshaft rotation, some yanmar gearboxes are only able to run in the ahead position continually and turn the propshaft in the opposite rotation to the engine crankshaft…..(this is opposite to your Borg Warner) but if you have a Max prop, you can reset it rather than buy a new prop. The down angle gearbox can make the installation more difficult, currently your engine beds are arranged to suit a straight drive at the angle of the prop shaft for the Ford-BorgWarner, if Yanmar sends an angled output gearbox, the front of the beds might need to be re cut. Good luck with your repower
J:-)
Try “Minards” in Australia, they have an excellent track record with the purchasing and delivery of Yanmar engines to Malaysia and Thailand. There’s an airfreight problem that can arise, it has to do with the size of the aircraft, a regular centre aisle passenger flight has limitations on air cargo package weight but a wide body aircraft has fewer limitations so an engine such as a 110 yanmar can be loaded and unloaded. If the Maldives has wide body jets landing there, you might get the engine delivered to your boat, otherwise, it will be landed at the nearest major freight terminal and trans shipped to the final destination.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 07:46   #4

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber

You can still get low RPM with high torque natural engine and no computor from Beta Marine. They ship all over the world
roryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:32   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryboy View Post
You can still get low RPM with high torque natural engine and no computor from Beta Marine. They ship all over the world
Betas are great engines.

This one could be ok for the OP: https://betamarineengines.com/index....gines/beta-85t

A big, heavy, simple, turbocharged, low speed 85hp 4 cylinder.

https://betamarineengines.com/index....gines/beta-85t

It's 3.3 liters displacement compared to 2000cc for the Yanmar, so it's correspondingly heavier.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 02-04-2024, 12:52   #6

There are still a few problems ahead with the replacement of that Ford- Borg Warner package so here’s a list of considerations
1. The BW turns the propshaft anti clockwise in forward, a lot of Yanmar reversing gears are clockwise in ahead
2. The BW coupling is not a match for any other gearbox flange.
3. The BW is a straight (inline) drive with bugger all drop. Yanmars have a drop which might mean raising the beds
4. Yanmars frequently have angled output drives, no biggy but again , engine beds might need surgery.
5. Your ford/ BW package is significantly longer than any of the appropriate packages available from Nanni, Betamarine,yanmar or Vetus so the engine will be in a different position unless you can lengthen the propshaft.
6. Yanmar exhaust is 75mm, not negotiable for 4JH.
Hopefully you have a Maxprop , …..and consider replacing the propshaft seal while it’s easy. Oh, I forgot ….the Aqualock!!
Old 03-04-2024, 07:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
5. Your ford/ BW package is significantly longer than any of the appropriate packages available from Nanni, Betamarine

You can get a velvet drive gear on an engine from Beta or just order the engine to fit your transmission. They can do that. They can also make custom mounts to fit yoru beds.
Old 03-04-2024, 17:47   #8

Quote:
You can get a velvet drive gear on an engine from Beta or just order the engine to fit your transmission. They can do that. They can also make custom mounts to fit yoru beds.
Not with a 4JH110 you can’t! And that was specifically the engine the OP asked about initially. Definitely an easier option with the Betamarine / BW flywheel housing….. but do you really want an old Borg Warner ( as good as they are) with a new engine?
Old 04-04-2024, 01:44   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Not with a 4JH110 you can’t! And that was specifically the engine the OP asked about initially. Definitely an easier option with the Betamarine / BW flywheel housing….. but do you really want an old Borg Warner ( as good as they are) with a new engine?

No, you don't. New engine, new marine gear, whether it's Yanmar or Beta.
Walt Whitman
Old 04-04-2024, 13:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
No, you don't. New engine, new marine gear, whether it's Yanmar or Beta.
Reuse an old velvet drive? Absolutely yes. A new velvet drive reduction gear is like $10,000 and takes 10 months to get. unless you see water in the case and they are badly rusted out inside, they can be rebuilt to as new condition very simply. A velvet drive gear will out live the 4JH engine 4 times.
Old 04-04-2024, 14:41   #11

Quote:
Reuse an old velvet drive? Absolutely yes. A new velvet drive reduction gear is like $10,000 and takes 10 months to get. unless you see water in the case and they are badly rusted out inside, they can be rebuilt to as new condition very simply. A velvet drive gear will out live the 4JH engine 4 times.
The quality of the BW velvetdrive isn’t being questioned but in this instance the condition of the BW is entirely unknown AND the OP asked specifically about a Yanmar 4JH 110 …..and marrying up anything other than a Yanmar gearbox is problematic. First off , the BW is heavy and needs to be supported by its own feet and probably with heavier duty mounts, then an adapter plate is required, I’m betting this will be way harder than it seems given the size of the Yanmar flywheel housing and finally, a different drive plate is needed to suit the BW spline. I can assure you that none of this will sit well with Yanmar and their product warranty (as well as being expensive to implement) and the only GAIN that I can see is that it’s perhaps easier to ship a slightly lighter weight bobtail engine to the Maldives than one with a gearbox on it.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:27   #12

The original poster expressed concerns about common rail and turbo and computer. these are fair enough concerns. Whos going to work on that engine in the Maldives?
Simple alternative is buy a non turbo non common rail engine that actually fits the current transmission. Like skipperpete says, Rear mounts are probably on the side of the gear and will stay there and you only have to worry about fitting the front mounts of the new engine. This is all good. engine does not have to be raised up maybe 4’ for a new tranny and you keep the original velvet drive connections and reliability. non turbo engine will work with original non turbo exhaust. saves lots of money and easy install.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:21   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

To each his own.

I would certainly never want to faff with adapting that to a Yanmar engine (and the cost!), and the gear ratio which is right for the 4600cc Ford is almost certainly wrong for the 2000cc Yanmar.

There's nothing wrong with the Kanzaki marine gear which comes with the Yanmar, and it's specifically designed and made for it.
Walt Whitman
Old 05-04-2024, 09:25   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The original poster expressed concerns about common rail and turbo and computer. these are fair enough concerns. Whos going to work on that engine in the Maldives?
Simple alternative is buy a non turbo non common rail engine that actually fits the current transmission. Like skipperpete says, Rear mounts are probably on the side of the gear and will stay there and you only have to worry about fitting the front mounts of the new engine. This is all good. engine does not have to be raised up maybe 4’ for a new tranny and you keep the original velvet drive connections and reliability. non turbo engine will work with original non turbo exhaust. saves lots of money and easy install.

Non-common rail I agree but there's nothing wrong with turbodiesels on boats. Diesels run better and are more efficient with forced induction.

The Betas in that size are all turbocharged.

I agree that the OP will save a lot of trouble if he can find a motor which will fit his existing marine gear. But is there such a beast? It would have to fit both physically and in terms of gear ration. The Lehman is a big, big lump. Torque peak is what -- 1200 RPM?
Walt Whitman
Old 08-04-2024, 10:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Non-common rail I agree but there's nothing wrong with turbodiesels on boats. Diesels run better and are more efficient with forced induction.

The Betas in that size are all turbocharged.

I agree that the OP will save a lot of trouble if he can find a motor which will fit his existing marine gear. But is there such a beast? It would have to fit both physically and in terms of gear ration. The Lehman is a big, big lump. Torque peak is what -- 1200 RPM?
90 Betas ar not turboed

they can easily fit a velvet drive gear and turn the same as Lehman

peak torque is 1300

Tags
Maldives, shipping, yanmar