Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2012, 17:29   #1

Boat: Bavaria 47, 48ft
Where is the cooling water zinc on an MD22P?

Hi,
I've got a Bavaria sailboat with a Volvo Penta MD22P-B diesel. I replaced the zinc on the sail drive but haven't been able to locate the sacrificial zinc on the raw water part of the cooling system.
Has anyone done this before? If so here is it located?

My spare parts place don't know where it is but they were able to find out that there is one.

Here's a place with schematics for reference: http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/...t-7746710.aspx

Thanks!!
SV_Inspirare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 14:58   #2

Hi,

There is no anode on the md 22lb fitted to my boat. I did ask the Volvo main dealer about this and he confirmed this to be the case. As the engine in your boat is essentially the same I would think you don't have one either.

Regards

William
Williamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 15:14   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Where is the cooling water zinc on an MD22P?

You are correct, the MD-22 and the perkins M-50,60,80, all basicly the same engine, do not have zink anodes in the cooling water of the engine. The only problem I have had with the cooling system with this engine is the heat exchanger will need to be replaced sooner or later, Look at the level of the anti-freeze when the engine is cool. If it drops a lot then fills up when you start the engine, your heat exchanger is bad.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 16:13   #4

Boat: Bavaria 47, 48ft
Thanks! I almost started tearing down the engine to find one

I'll have a look at the level when it's hot.
It's leaking a bit of both raw and fresh water from somewhere so I normally keep an eye on the level when I top up the oil (way too often )
SV_Inspirare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 17:16   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Where is the cooling water zinc on an MD22P?

Sounds like your Heat exchanger could be giving you troubles, if you have decent access to your engine it isn't hard to take the heat exchanger out, simply drain anti-freeze, remove the rubber boots, front and back, that have 2 large hose clamps, then slide the heat exchanger out. I have to slide it out forward because I don't have enough clearance aft. It is a good idea to remove it at least once a year and clean it. While it is out look at the ends where all the small tubes are soddered in. If there are any pin holes here you are going to have problems. Also there is either a rubber disc or a hard plasic disc that acts as a baffle that come out with the heat exchanger, many times the rubber disc is falling apart and needs to be replaced. If this is the case you must replace it with the rubber one, the hard disc is for the smaller 2" heat exchanger. Good luck.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote