Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 15:32   #1
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
where to get Yanmar parts online?

Can you guys recommend a good place in the USA to buy parts for older Yanmars online? I'm looking for someone who is accustomed to communicating via email and selling parts over the internet and shipping internationally. Engines are 3HM35Fs.
Old 04-12-2013, 15:42   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: where to get Yanmar parts online?

Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts

used to be Torresen. Yanmar very restrictive re dealers.
Old 04-12-2013, 15:53   #3

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Depends on where you are located. Yanmar has greografic distributors. Try Toad or Mac boring.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 21:01   #4

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Yanmar's dealer/distribution system sucks. For the consumer. They have a very protective program, which directly results in the boat owner paying anywhere from 2 to 5 times what a part should cost. Absurd. A turbocharger that you can buy for a VW for $250 costs nearly $2K. I appears as if they must be nearly giving the engines away to boat builders, so they can rape the boat owner, later on. Just my $0.02.

I like their products fine. I hate the way they do business.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 22:40   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: JEANNEAU,BENETAU,BAVARIA etc.

dear all yanmar engine owners try here Service onderdelen : dieselpartseurope webwinkel, YANMAR Onderdelen & Motoren
it is located in europe but they should ship in US
I never tried them but you can compare prices if you have the part number

M.E
MARINE ENGINNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:17   #6
One of Those

Well, thanks for the heads up on Yanmar. My first attempt to buy parts. And so far, it's difficult to even get straight answers. To very simple questions. Three part numbers, are they in stock, can they ship to the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Toad, so far, does not answer any of those questions. They sent me an email with a link to the places they can ship to, instead of just answering the question. I think typing either "yes" or "no" would have been simpler and faster.

The list of places is US states. And Bermuda is on the list of US States. BUT they say they can ship to 75 different countries, but now in my third round of email exchanges with their customer service people, they don't seem to be able to answer that very simple question. Can they ship to the Turks and Caicos. It's a yes or no question.

They're in the far north. SURELY they are not swamped with boat owners at the moment. It's below zero there.

If they can't answer that question in two days of email exchanges, I am thinking I really don't want to put much effort into trying to establish an account with these guys to help me support these old engines.

Which is what you guys are telling me.

(Edit) I just got a reply from Toad:

"No. We can't ship Yanmar products to the Turks and Caicos, as displayed by the listing of states found in the link that I sent you identifying the territorial guidelines for Yanmar product.

The balance of the products we sell, can be shipped to the Turks and Caicos.'"

Not sure why they thought a list of states would answer the question about what countries. But at least I got the "No" part of it. Which is also my response to the balance of whatever products they sell.
Old 05-12-2013, 17:14   #7

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I looked at M.E.'s post, and looked up our impeller. Over $100 US! Holy carp!
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:51   #8

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
I have not bought anything big, but I have found my local Yanmar dealer here in Maine to have very reasonable parts costs at least for maintenance items like impellers, filters etc. Costs are less than going to auto supply store and Defender for these things. My old Westerbeke was robbery and the old Torresen distributor cost about twice what the local folks sold the same thing for. I think the companies do protect territories so that you have some cash flow so that your local guy can stay alive between repowering episodes. I am not sure that automatically means the local guy costs more. Sure does not in my case. FWIW
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:58   #9
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

on a positive note: i saw the new yanmar 3 and 4 cylinder motors at the st. pete boat show yesterday .. very nice and appear easy to maintain in the boat. i did not check to see if they have finally decided to put drain plugs in the oil pan
Old 07-12-2013, 14:00   #10

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Over $900 for a set of 3JH engine mounts in Australia the other week!! that seems to me like plain robbery.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:43   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Canibul,

Here's another possibility--Mastry Engine Center (headquartered in St Pete). I've ordered from them before and found them knowledgeable and responsive.

Mastry Engine Center - Contacts
Old 08-12-2013, 08:52   #12
One of Those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Canibul,

Here's another possibility--Mastry Engine Center (headquartered in St Pete). I've ordered from them before and found them knowledgeable and responsive.

Mastry Engine Center - Contacts

Thanks for the link. I just wrote them.

We've got a local Yanmar dealer. Problem is, I contacted them six days ago with the part numbers and asked if they could get the parts.

No reply.

Two days later, I contacted them again and asked if they got my request.
A day after that, I got a replay saying yeah, they got my request, but suspect the part numbers are wrong. Well, the part numbers came from the photo in the manual that is on the boat and it all matches the engine, the drawing, and the part numbers. Confirmed it with Yanmar manual on line. Highly doubtful I got the part numbers wrong twice. But it DOES give the dealer an easy excuse not to bother to look up and order the parts. Keep in mind, this dealer has already worked on these engines and knows exactly what they are. It kinda looks like a runaround. A delaying tactic. And it's typical. He didn't get to charge me the $ 102 per hour to take the part out, and knows I will install the new ones myself.

Wants me to go take a photo and send it. So he can "confirm" the part numbers He KNOWS the friggen engines. They just rewired the engine rooms and installed a new manifold on one of them. He can look up the pipes on a 3HM35F a lot easier than I can.

This was on Friday. They don't work weekends. So basically, he puts it off til Monday and now a week after initially asking them for a price and delivery, I still don't have a quote from the local guy. And this is pretty par for the course.

It's very frustrating when a manufacturer insists you are tied to a local rep who doesn't follow up because it's not worth his time for a couple hundred bucks worth of parts.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:14   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I agree it's frustrating. I lived in the eastern Caribbean for 7 years and so can relate.

I got some of the "exclusive territory" nonsense from Torreson when I dealt with them a few years ago, where Yanmar dictates which retailer supplies a specific area, but didn't run into that with Mastry. I can't remember the name of the gal in the parts department there, but she was goood to work with and actually answered some tough questions for me.

Tags
parts, yanmar