Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2021, 21:28   #46

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Re: Which dinghy outboard to get?

Expensive agreed, but it has no Carborater or fouled jet issues that can also be costly. I like the idea of not carring fuel on board as well. Next outboard to replace my 4 hp Yamaha will be electric.

QUOTE=Letterkenny;3456996]Thought that but it’s significantly more.[/QUOTE]
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 22:19   #47

Boat: Jeanneau 349

I just think there’s a lot of development still in electric outboards and that we will get higher range and speed with less cost over the next 5 years which makes me lean towards gas for now.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:57   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I cannot recommend Suzuki for a cruising boat. I have a 2014 15hp and for the first three years I was very happy with it. After beating my head against a wall for four years I'm replacing it. The owners manual says to flush it with fresh water "EVERY" time you use it in salt water. What they don't tell you is they mean run it in a barrel every time. You cannot run the engine using the flushing port. Using muffs is impractical because you must run it long enough to open the thermostat to flush the block. Who on a cruising boat has that much fresh water available? I am somewhat assuming there is some weird chemical reaction going on with water left in the jacket and clogging the entire block. I had to actually use a drill bit to remove it. It was as hard as and even resembled oyster shell. The jacket and openings in the head are larger and don't clog as readily though there were some deposits. Had the entire head and block apart for the second time in a year to clean out these deposits and had only used the thing for about 20 hours. It seems to happen if it sits for a time after being used in salt water and not run in a barrel. I went to the Dry Tortugas and keys in June for a couple of weeks where I injured my knee and thus could not remove it from the dinghy until last weekend. I only flushed it with the port when I got home. I put it in the barrel to test it before another trip to the keys and it overheated after 5 minutes. I took the thermostat cover off and started it. Sure enough no water. There is a zinc port in the head and water poured out of it. Both the head and the block jackets are fed from the same chamber in the base of the power head but from different openings. Clearly the block side is clogged again. I'm done with this POS. By the way total hours on the engine, 430. My advice is to never put a small Suzuki near salt water.

Capt. It's not just their outboards. I think its the metal alloy (alum.) of all their engines. All their water cooled engines in cars and motorcycles require distilled water be used when mixed with anti-freeze. Seen a couple of motorcycle guys badly overheat and ruin the engines heads when they didn't heed the warning.
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:40   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Kinda cheesed right now. A couple months ago I bought a used west marine outboard and inflatable. Made sure it fired up before using it and all was well. It sat in my garage for a while as I waited for my boat to be built. Was going to take it to my new marina and wanted to get it in tip top shape, however, what was sold to me as a 2014 Honda 5HP with 100 hours was really a 1997. Tried taking out the fuel jet but that is very corroded in there.

That said, while I’m sure I can get it to work eventually, I rather just buy something new that I can trust. Any recommendations for either a 2-3HP or a 5-6HP outboard to use? Mothership is a Jeanneau 349. Not sure if I will upgrade to a RIB down the road so may be leaning towards the smaller size engine. Mainly debating either a Yamaha or Honda in the 2HP range. Heard the Honda is very loud and lots of vibrations but air cooled versus the Yamaha being water cooled. Any preferences?
If you bought something that was SEVENTEEN years older than you thought I would buy a new one if I was you
Laurie watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:58   #50

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfischgrund View Post
2.5 Suzuki is the lightest 4-stroke on the market. Yamaha is probably a better motor, but 10 pounds heavier and costs more, and the Suzuki is reliable and pushes a small dinghy quite well.
I think the Honda is just a bit lighter.

That said, I had constant trouble with my Honda, especially going somewhere from the mothership and wondering if I would get back.

I replaced it with an electric motor and am quite pleased.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:00   #51

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Yes, Rwidman, the EPA has outlawed the 2-stroke motors.

But, as much as I love my 2-stroke Merc, I know that they pollute, and so do you.

As I sit here anchored in pristine waters, I am passed by panga's with outboard motors all day long. When it is a 2-stroke motor I can smell the gasoline after they pass; it's in the water. The four strokes don't leave that residue. Here in the ocean maybe it doesn't do much, but in a lake... it's bad news.

So the EPA made the right decision.

Maybe if a motor manf. makes a 2-stroke which does not dump raw gas into the water it will be allowed. I can only hope.

Meanwhile I support the EPA in everything they do.
So if you support the EPA in everything they do, why are you still using that two stroke outboard?

Why should you be allowed to use it but I am not allowed to buy one and use it just like you do?
Old 09-08-2021, 07:42   #52

Quote:
Well my other concern is that I’ll have this on an outboard bracket and will need to put on the dingy from the bathing platform so less weight is better. Could go with the 3.5HP Mercury for the same weight. That’s a Tohatsu right? I’d just rather have something new at this point that I know all the hours and service intervals.
We have used the 1103 Torqeedo and its nigh and day, even our kids can now start the motor. We have a spare battery so we are always ready. I am so glad to be away from outboards that never start.
nickvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:01   #53

Boat: Hunter 41 DS

Mercury PROPANE outboard.
No gas issues.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...ne-fourstroke/

BTW:
Always use ethanol free gas in small engines.
Poldhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:14   #54

Boat: Valiant 50

I finally got fed up with the damage ethanol gas does to my outboard over the season. I don't go through the gas fast enough I guess.
I bought a propane engine from Tohatsu-love it. Great gas mileage and I don't have to worry about getting propane nor long term storage of the "gas".
ArtemisV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:26   #55

Boat: Bayfield 29C Cutter
Re: Which dinghy outboard to get? - Not a Honda 2 hp

I have a Honda 2HP four-stroke, air cooled (and therefore noisy!).

It's ok but the carb needle injector thingy is so tiny that it gets gummed up easily. Only cure, according to a Honda mechanic I talked to, is to set the idle higher which means that the centrifugal clutch is always a bit engaged. The mechanic told me the 2.5 HP is much better. I intend to replace it with an electric motor.
and4ew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:30   #56

Boat: Canadian Sailcraft 33

Had a British Seagull. 50 plus years old and still going. Loud, shakey and smokey but if it didn't run it was your fault and usually easy to fix. Was under water multiple times. Clean it out and start over. I think its all brass aluminum or stainless. It was geared low.
Did not go fast but it would move the mothership at slow speed. Had a Cruise and Carry once. It seized up in the salt water in about 3 months. I am a fossil from another age
hpaabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:53   #57

In june i bought a brand new Honda 2.3 4 cycle air cooled.
I like it a lot. I have about 20 hours on it so far.
It is attached to my 14 foot cat boat and drives it at hull speed
at about 3/4 throttle.

I’m not sure where you’re located but there is a boat store in
Summers point New Jersey that in june ha both a small Honda
and Mercury.
jfyiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:16   #58

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

Quote:
Kinda cheesed right now. A couple months ago I bought a used west marine outboard and inflatable. Made sure it fired up before using it and all was well. It sat in my garage for a while as I waited for my boat to be built. Was going to take it to my new marina and wanted to get it in tip top shape, however, what was sold to me as a 2014 Honda 5HP with 100 hours was really a 1997. Tried taking out the fuel jet but that is very corroded in there.

That said, while I’m sure I can get it to work eventually, I rather just buy something new that I can trust. Any recommendations for either a 2-3HP or a 5-6HP outboard to use? Mothership is a Jeanneau 349.. Mas?
I don’t understand the rationale for purchasing a 2-3 hp engine. If you are worried about the weight, have a davit mounted where you can use it for the engine, groceries, new batteries…etc. 2-3hp can barely get two people a 1/4 mile to the dinghy dock. A 6-9hp engine may be able to tow the boat in a pinch. A crew member in the dink of such boat can make an impossible docking situation manageable…etc.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:59   #59

Boat: Morgan 416, 41ft.

I decided to go with the 5hp propane outboard by Mercury. It's a Tohatsu. As someone pointed out, the problem with all the small outboards is the fuel gumming up the carberator, so I thought I'd skip that little problem entirely with the propane model. I've only had it since December, but so far, I am very pleased with it. In the end, it's big drawback may end up being difficulties with parts and service in out of the way places. Time will tell. I have not spoken to anyone yet who owns a propane and regrets their decision.
russpatterson5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 13:04   #60

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Air cooled has to be the way to go.
Personally been there done that with outboards, at the moment I am choosing to row as it takes less time if you include fitting the outbound and the maintenance which is never ending, don’t we have enough to do already.
If I want an Outboard again I will be buying a cheap Chinese one and selling it and buying another the first time it misses a beat. Then see how that works out.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, outboard