Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2009, 05:46   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Go for the 4JH. The new ones have the impeller access in the front, a lot easier to work with than my older (2004) one where impeller access requires a contortionist, preferably a small one.
Old 15-06-2009, 08:40   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I went with the 85hp from Mermaid in England...slow rev. heavy, easy to get to all the bits and pieces and is what they use in JCBs so spares are readily available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust wrap 1.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	8564  
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 20:03   #18

Boat: Tartan 33 "Radiant"
Send a message via AIM to halyardz
In late 2007 we repowered our Tartan 33 with a Beta 25 and have had a flawless 300 hrs of operation.
halyardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 22:10   #19

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Whereas I didn't say that I dislike Yanmar engines, I did say that I'm not crazy about them. I have heard of more than just a few people describe problems (I recall several telling me about failures of some kind of plate between the flywheel and the reversing gear). Obviously, this is far from a thorough statistical analysis and is only anecdotal but has given me reason to be cautious. Also, I don't like the looks of the Yanmar. It just looks too complicated. Before you peg me as a neophite mechanic, I should point out that I have a degree in Diesel Technology and for many years made my living as a heavy equipment mechanic - primarily agricultural, earth-moving and over-the-road tractors. I even served time as a service manager for a truck and tractor dealership. On top of that, I tend to be old fashioned and conservative when it comes to equipment designs (how I loved the old Detroit 2-cycle engines! I could run the rack on those and back the buffer screw off completely and it wouldn't roll 10 RPMs! Or give me the old Cummins PT fuel injection system - that was a good, honest, hard-working system.).

I know I could overhaul the Volvo but that engine was discontinued 25 years ago and parts are difficult to find. (In February, my wife and I were pulling up to the fuel dock at San Jose del Cabo on the southern tip of Baja when the prop shaft coupling broke. Volvo had discontinued the part years ago. I finally found a used one for USD$1,400.00.) My guess is that my existing Volvo would cost about USD$10,000 to overhaul. For not much more than that, I can buy a new engine.

I thank everyone who posted a reply. If you think of anything else, please speak up.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 15:44   #20

Engine Choice

Fair enough, Kubota's are great engines too. I sell Yanmar engines for a living and tend to see their benefits such as the only manufacturer to design everything from the block, pistons, fuel system, and transmission themselves, from scratch- for marine use.
pdm26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 17:00   #21
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
The only tidbit I can add is the perkins in my boat is original 1976, doesn't burn oil, runs 60 lbs steady oil pressure and has never needed anything except scheduled maintenance.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 21:00   #22

Boat: deboated
nsschneider - while you have asked for advice I think you are going to ignore it as you seem to have already made your mind up to something other than a Yanmar. Complicated I would better describe as compact design. Problems that you heard of well name an engine and I am sure I can find some who will have had a problem with that particular make. It is a little like Toyota cars renowned for there reliability but to suggest they have never had a failure or build issue would be silly. Good luck!
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 21:58   #23

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch
nhschneider,

I'm with you on this one, I'm a truck driver and these modern diesels I see are nothing but trouble. Fuel economy matters but not at the expense of reliability. I'm not aware of what emissions standards have been imposed on marine diesels, but if its similar to the truck motors RUN away. I'll rebuild my old Westerbeke when the time comes.

Jerin
ahnutts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 23:06   #24

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnutts! View Post
nhschneider,

I'm with you on this one, I'm a truck driver and these modern diesels I see are nothing but trouble. Fuel economy matters but not at the expense of reliability. I'm not aware of what emissions standards have been imposed on marine diesels, but if its similar to the truck motors RUN away. I'll rebuild my old Westerbeke when the time comes.

Jerin
Modern truck engines are common rail computer controlled. Most marine engines are not including the Yanmar's engines mentioned, they are still mechanical injection. Your view of modern Diesel computer controlled engines I would also debate you but another day and another forum. Once people are set in there ways it is very hard to convince them otherwise no matter how convincing the evidence is.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 23:32   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Take it easy, guys. Yanmars are indisputably great engines.

But I have another question -- if your existing Perkins does't burn oil and has good oil pressure -- never broken in 30-odd years? Why in the world would you replace it? Sometimes you simply get a good one -- and it will go on, and on, and on, and on -- why not run with that while it lasts?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 08:59   #26
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Reviving an old thread- Anyone have any thoughts on ADE/Northern Lights Lugger engines?
From the graphs (and they all lie a little ) it seems the L1064D gets better mileage than the Westerbeke 65. And it's only 200 lbs difference in weight.
Service is all on the right side
Seems like this specific engine is set up for larger side loads than the Westerbeke.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 14:44   #27

Just another thought , Buy by the pound. Divide eng weight by hp . One might logicaly assume that the heavier the hp the tougher the eng. There is a reason some engines are called "tinney". I think cummins bought perkins.
Old 30-11-2009, 15:40   #28

Boat: Lagoon 440
Why replace the Perkins if it is still running well and not smoking or consuming oil??
BTW, small correction - Cat still owns Perkins, with the product distributed as Volvo (2 and 3 cyl), Perkins and Cat brands depending on application and horsepower.
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 15:50   #29

I'm in love with Perkins, but I know nothing about the latest company. The fact that Cat sold them may just mean that Cat decided it's not going to be a recreational engine provider.... dont know. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt the coveted 4-236 and others sold as Cats years ago? I vote Cummins or John Deere for a heavy duty engine. Yanmar are good for what they are but for all intents and purposes, when they sell you a 40 hp diesel, it's really just a real fast turning 25hp diesel. (want to sound like an airplane?) I've had 3 yanmars over the years.... of the the three, 2 have sufferred catestophic failure at less than 3000 hours. (3GM30)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 16:32   #30

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
I love my Perkins 4236 , is old! but well care for it, Yanmars are nice engines , but i dont like the hig revs in this engines, i think a slow turn engine last forever, the reason i think that yanmars are light engines is because are made from more aluminium and lights alloys that other heavy engines, i sold my previous boat with a yanmar with 860 hours in the meter , in this period of time i have 2 serious isues, 1: the heat exchanger, made of ****, sorry to use this word, and the 2: the exaust elbow, also made of cartoon. Apart from this 2 incidents , the engine run well, never burn oil, and always run smooth, for me a good engine.
Now in my actual boat, i have a Big and heavy 500 pound perkins 4236,
with 1980 hours in the meter, yes 1980!! in the last 3 years no serious problems at all, a alternator bracket broken.... a heat exchanger cloged with salt and here is when i see the diference in construction between my last yanmar and my actual engine.... thick material.
The perkins 4236 and i dont know others models is a keep going engine, is robust and easy to repair, and the yanmar is a good hig tech engine.
Best Regards.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine