Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2019, 10:56   #16

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: Which exhaust hose to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
Wire reinforced top quality trident exhaust hose.....
✓✓✓
What he said. I almost lost a brand new boat talking it from the commissioning to it docks. Cheap Chinese hose. If it doesn't say marine wet exhaust hose USCG approved, it should not be used. They do have different types, some without wire, flexible, but thicker. I use the blue silicone from mixing elbow to muffler. Now find the credit card.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/hose/wet-exhaust-hose
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 13:10   #17

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I would never put anything in my exhaust system that didn’t explicitly say wet exhaust. That product description made no mention of wet exhaust......

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 13:38   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

What our opinion is, is irrelevant.
What is relevant is what your Insurence company’s opinion is. If they say no, then you find another Insurence company that doesn’t care, or replace the hose.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 13:41   #19

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwhatiyam View Post
Stu is light years ahead of me on knowledge, but I sympathize with the OP very much right now. My question is: when is exhaust hose NOT exhaust hose? Or even better, when is something that is NOT exhaust hose suitable for use as an exhaust hose?

I replaced the exhaust hose on my 1989 Catalina MKII within the last year or so. It is time to renew my insurance and the insurance company requested a haul-out and survey prior to renewal. Low and behold, the surveyor noted as a Priority II item the following:

The exhaust hose from the muffler to the transom was USCG Type A2 marine "fuel" hose. Recommend that the exhaust hose be changed to marine type "wet exhaust" hose to meet ABYC 1.7.1.5 standards and the
continuous temperature ratings required for marine exhaust hose.

Happy Days, right? I went back to the vendor, Amazon Rubber, and they claimed, (they are very helpful, btw), that the hose meets SAE J2006. On the picking list it states that the hose meets SAE J1527.

When searching on both J2006 and J1527 together under J2006 a technical reference is made to J1527 as follows:

Rationale: This document is being modified in order to update the ozone test concentration to be consistent with other marine hose related test specifications. Specifications including SAE J1527 and ISO 7840 require an ozone test concentration of 100 mPa (100 pphm). This concentration will be incorporated into SAE J2006.

Whatever that means. https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j2006_201302/

However, looking at the info sheet for the product, (attached), it states that "It meets SAE J1527 Type A2 and SAE J2006, R2 specification and is rated at full vacuum (30 inches Hg).

So I guess it's OK to use. What do y'all think about that?
This is why you should always buy your parts and materials from reputable marine suppliers. Amazon is full of cheap, knockoff stuff that they try to sell as real. Don't trust it. Buy from places like Defender, West Marine, etc. They usually have the real deal and always have a helping hand during the purchase to guide you to the better product.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust