Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2021, 01:38   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Which Oil for Generator - DPF or Non-DPF

Just looking at an oil change and have noticed that there are 2 types of oil for Diesel engines:

1) Non-DPF engines

2) DPF Engines

Now Google showed me that DPF is Diesel Particulate filter, so I presume that my generator that has a Racor pre filter and an onboard fuel filter would be a DPF engine? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 02:21   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Which Oil for Generator - DPF or Non-DPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Just looking at an oil change and have noticed that there are 2 types of oil for Diesel engines:

1) Non-DPF engines

2) DPF Engines

Now Google showed me that DPF is Diesel Particulate filter, so I presume that my generator that has a Racor pre filter and an onboard fuel filter would be a DPF engine? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
I reckon you are barking up the wrong tree.

The DPF is a filter in the exhaust system which is designed to capture soot etc from the exhaust gases. I pretty certain your generator does not have a DPF. It has nothing to do with diesel fuel supply.

See more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 03:16   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I reckon you are barking up the wrong tree.

The DPF is a filter in the exhaust system which is designed to capture soot etc from the exhaust gases. I pretty certain your generator does not have a DPF. It has nothing to do with diesel fuel supply.

See more here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

I concur, unless you have a bottle in the generator the required diesel exhaust fluid, you have no diesel particulate filter.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 03:59   #4
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Thanks
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 14:47   #5

As you have found out, a DPF is a particulate filter which was part of the diesel exhaust treatment program of some trucks starting in the early 2000s.

The reason that special oils were developed (required) for DPF equipped engines is that these oils were considered “low ash”, that is, when they burned there was less residue remaining to accelerate the plugging of the DPF. Because DPFs eventually get plugged with particulates (soot and ash) they have to be regenerated periodically to burn off the goop.

Today’s diesel truck exhaust treatment programs mostly use SCR ( selective catalytic reduction) which uses a Urea based diesel emission fluid (DEF ) injected into a catalytic converter to reduce NOx. This, combined with slight amounts of cooled EGR and other strategies results in modern diesel exhaust which is almost “ fresh air”.

Luckily for us, because of heat and space requirements, this technology has not trickled down into pleasure craft, yet, but it is seen in higher powered commercial vessels.

As far as the oil goes, you will actually be OK with either type of oil as long as it meets the requirements of your engine manufacturer.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 14:48   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I'd suggest looking in the manual for the type of oil required but agree with earlier posts.
I wouldnt use DPF oil in it unless specifically required.
DPF oil is a lot more expensive for a start & it doesnt have some anti-wear additives that non-DPF oil has. It has different types of additives
Doubt very much that your genset is DPF equipped.

Edit: posted same time as DougR so x2
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 11:55   #7

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Note my Audi has dog but no urea. Instead they inject a wee bit of diesel periodically and heat the filer thus burning off the soot.
Old 22-11-2022, 10:09   #8

Well, DPF is an abbreviation associated with diesel-powered machines. DPF — diesel particulate filter, you should know this. This filter is needed so that the soot doesn't clog the entire system. The settling soot on all parts can overheat the car and turn off the engine. It can get clogged faster if you tow, overload the vehicle, or drive uphill. This filter needs to be cleaned as often as you can. The answer to your question is: you need more low-ash oil only if you don't have this particulate filter. If you have it, choose a regular oil, and use bmw diesel particulate filter cleaner from time to time.
johnbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2022, 11:39   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Look up the oil spec required rather then guessing
Old 22-11-2022, 15:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I concur, unless you have a bottle in the generator the required diesel exhaust fluid, you have no diesel particulate filter.

Well that’s a coincidence, yesterday I was filling up at the diesel pump for the drive to Townsville and the person in the front pump row filled their tank with “Adblue” DEF. l’d never seen that hose other than on the heavy vehicle pumpstand. It’s basically Urea and water but apparently some small car diesel exhausts require it ...... just not in the fuel tank, ever.
RACQ tow away was the only resolution.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2022, 17:29   #11

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Well that’s a coincidence, yesterday I was filling up at the diesel pump for the drive to Townsville and the person in the front pump row filled their tank with “Adblue” DEF. l’d never seen that hose other than on the heavy vehicle pumpstand. It’s basically Urea and water but apparently some small car diesel exhausts require it ...... just not in the fuel tank, ever.
RACQ tow away was the only resolution.
Blimey!

Mercedes Benz GL350 SUVs and some Benz S-class sedans with so-called 'BlueTEC' DPF have been on the roads in Aus for at least 8 years. Must be a few other non-truck and non-Benz diesel vehicles too.

They require the urea solution (in the designated urea tank, not the fuel tank), or they will not start. About 6 months ago, the supply of imported urea solution dried up, and the shortage distressed some BlueTEC owners.

Took a long time for market demand to get urea solution available on the forecourt of servos in Aus (in contrast to truck stops).
Old 22-11-2022, 17:46   #12

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
As you have found out, a DPF is a particulate filter which was part of the diesel exhaust treatment program of some trucks starting in the early 2000s.

The reason that special oils were developed (required) for DPF equipped engines is that these oils were considered “low ash”, that is, when they burned there was less residue remaining to accelerate the plugging of the DPF. Because DPFs eventually get plugged with particulates (soot and ash) they have to be regenerated periodically to burn off the goop.

Today’s diesel truck exhaust treatment programs mostly use SCR ( selective catalytic reduction) which uses a Urea based diesel emission fluid (DEF ) injected into a catalytic converter to reduce NOx. This, combined with slight amounts of cooled EGR and other strategies results in modern diesel exhaust which is almost “ fresh air”.

Luckily for us, because of heat and space requirements, this technology has not trickled down into pleasure craft, yet, but it is seen in higher powered commercial vessels.

As far as the oil goes, you will actually be OK with either type of oil as long as it meets the requirements of your engine manufacturer.
That is simply a great response
nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, oil