Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46   #31

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Mariah31
Re: Which small outboard is most reliable

I also have the Honda 2hp and have had no issues with it. It starts every time no matter what kind of abuse it gets.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:54   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

My experience with small two stroke Yamahas has been always very good. I believe four stroke Yamahas are nearly as good. Tohatsu very close second best.

I had issues with: Honda, Johnson. Johnson was the worst.

I would vote Yamaha best, Johnson worst.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:59   #33

Boat: Kristen 52

Old 12-06-2012, 12:17   #34

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Being a self suffieceint sailor means you need a basic understanding and knowledge of outboards. As stated on a few posts here, fuel is key. I'm amazed at how many outboards are judged after trying to run old fuel or a gummed up jet. I have also seen owners order a new carb only to install it incorrectly and then blame the manufacturer again.
A lot of the problem is with the idle jet. This is the jet that is used to start the engine. Heance it will try to start but falters quickly. If by chance it does start, it will sputter at low RPM. The idle jet on my Tohatsu 6hp. is about .013" (Thirteen thousands of an inch). Approximately 4 human hair side by side. I keep a drill just under that size around just for the purpose of cleaning out that jet. You would be amazed how many motors on outboards, generators and even leaf blowers I have brought back to life by cleaning the idle jet.
Also if the intake manifold is rubber (many are) it is easy to develop an air leak there. Again the manufacturer is blamed for incorrect installations or lack of maintenance.
As mentioned before. It pays to run the fuel out of the engine if it is going to sit awhile. DO NOT DO THIS ON A 2 STROKE! The bottom end depends on the oil in the gas to lubricate the bearings. No gas...no oil...no lubrication.
Hope this helps.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think they want one that runs!
Mine does, there is a fairly good chance it will be running long after I am finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seagull.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	42191  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 13:34   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

We have a 2010 Tohatsu 6 that we bought this spring from a friend. It has been okay but is troublsome starting at times. It has always started but may take 10-15 pulls when it is cold. It seems to be more troublesome for my wife so it may be related to how hard it is pulled. We didn't have it serviced so it is possible that previous owners didn't treat it as well as they claimed and it may just need cleaning out.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 13:36   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
A lot of the problem is with the idle jet. This is the jet that is used to start the engine. Heance it will try to start but falters quickly. If by chance it does start, it will sputter at low RPM. The idle jet on my Tohatsu 6hp. is about .013" (Thirteen thousands of an inch). Approximately 4 human hair side by side. I keep a drill just under that size around just for the purpose of cleaning out that jet. You would be amazed how many motors on outboards, generators and even leaf blowers I have brought back to life by cleaning the idle jet.
This sounds like a good thing for me to check. Thanks!
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 13:58   #38

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Mine does, there is a fairly good chance it will be running long after I am finished.
What is this?
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 14:02   #39

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Being a self suffieceint sailor means you need a basic understanding and knowledge of outboards. As stated on a few posts here, fuel is key. I'm amazed at how many outboards are judged after trying to run old fuel or a gummed up jet. I have also seen owners order a new carb only to install it incorrectly and then blame the manufacturer again.
Also if the intake manifold is rubber (many are) it is easy to develop an air leak there. Again the manufacturer is blamed for incorrect installations or lack of maintenance.
As mentioned before. It pays to run the fuel out of the engine if it is going to sit awhile. DO NOT DO THIS ON A 2 STROKE! The bottom end depends on the oil in the gas to lubricate the bearings. No gas...no oil...no lubrication.
Hope this helps.

You are correct.

But the last part I don't exactly get. When it sputters out there is still the last of the exhaust in it. When it is started again it gets immediate exhaust. Smaller amounts at the end of running it out, but enough to worry about?
Old 12-06-2012, 14:22   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
You are correct.

But the last part I don't exactly get. When it sputters out there is still the last of the exhaust in it. When it is started again it gets immediate exhaust. Smaller amounts at the end of running it out, but enough to worry about?
The bottom end is lubricated first then the downward stroke of the pistola pushes the fuel/oil mix through ports where it is burned (oil included). So...we know that the lube is gone out of the bottom end and then the inertia of the motor spins to a stop after running out of mix. While spinning, the lower bearings have less oil on them (if any). They're very close to spinning dry.
Also...I will say while 2 strokes are lighter and simpler in design, they are somewhat inefficient. They have to spin and work harder than a 4 stroke. I know on motorcycles, they only last half as long as their 4 stroke counter-parts. My guess is (and I'm going out on the limb here) that in less than 10 years there will be a viable electric outboard with new battery technology.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 12-06-2012, 14:43   #41

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
The bottom end is lubricated first then the downward stroke of the pistola pushes the fuel/oil mix through ports where it is burned (oil included). So...we know that the lube is gone out of the bottom end and then the inertia of the motor spins to a stop after running out of mix. While spinning, the lower bearings have less oil on them (if any). They're very close to spinning dry.
Also...I will say while 2 strokes are lighter and simpler in design, they are somewhat inefficient. They have to spin and work harder than a 4 stroke. I know on motorcycles, they only last half as long as their 4 stroke counter-parts. My guess is (and I'm going out on the limb here) that in less than 10 years there will be a viable electric outboard with new battery technology.
And I thought the fuel went through to the piston first, from the carb -> piston -> exhaust ports -> lower end. I thought the gas burned (mostly) and the oil was left unburned (mostly) and that is how the crank was lubricated.

Boy oh boy do I have that wrong.

http://www.animatedengines.com/twostroke.html

I can't believe I have repaired as many 2 strokes as I have..........

I am familiar with the cycles not lasting as long but I figured part of that was because the guys that bought the 2-strokes rode them harder/faster than folks like me that seldom "raced" around. (going fast and racing around being two different things).

I want a group 27 battery that has as much energy as two gallons of gas too!
Old 12-06-2012, 15:22   #42

Thanx for that link of the operation of the 2 stroke. It displays it perfectly...
Old 12-06-2012, 16:57   #43

So Monday I put my 9.9 Johnson on Craig's list as I havent use it in 3 years. I just ran it dry before putting it away in the garage. Suddenly I have a buyer an hour after listing it. Arghhh! I have to set it up outside, with a tank, mix fuel and hope it runs imediately before he comes. 3 years, starts on 3rd pull. runs perfectly. Gone.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 18:05   #44
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The best thing to do is, once the gasoline gets to 2 months old, put it in your car and buy some fresh. That goes for whats in the o/b's little tank, and any stored gas in larger tanks.

Also always use Stabil or similar.

Since I began these habits both o/b's have been well behaved.
Good advice, I've had the same results. The guy who runs the outboard shop here in Sausalito tells me that some outboards are more touchy about fuel freshness than others. In his opinion Honda four strokes are the most temperamental about the age of fuel.

All I can say is that ever since selling my Honda and getting a Suzuki last summer I've had far less trouble with carburetors.
Old 12-06-2012, 18:35   #45

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

You have a 5 year old motor with one season of use, and you want a new motor?
Fix the one you have and USE it. And use stabil blue. not red
Or, get an old 2 stroke if you only use it rarely.
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard