Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2020, 16:41   #1

Boat: Pearson 365
While we are discussing Racors

What's with the SAE fittings (inlet and outlet) and the O rings? I just installed a new Racor 500 FG-2 and its leaking slowly drip drip drip. How tight should the fittings be? I'm concerned that I might distort or damage the o ring-but the fittings still can be turned now without a wrench. Should I use pipe sealant?
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 18:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: While we are discussing Racors

The Racor fittings are proprietary, I don’t know what they are exactly, but only the “proper” fitting will work.
Where did you get your fittings?

If you have the proper fittings they should be tightened just like a normal fitting, do not use any kind of sealant, maybe lube the o-ring.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 21:52   #3

The fittings and o-rings are not proprietary. The input/output ports are standard J1926 straight-thread fittings. If the fitting and o-ring are correct, you tighten up the fitting and it bottoms out, compressing the o-ring, sealing the port.

See this site for examples
https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...hread-orb.html

Earlier this week I confirmed my suspicion that the o-rings are standard, found matching o-rings at McMaster-Carr, and tested them in my Racor 500. Perfect match without the extraordinarily-perfect price. For fewer than $2.00 you can have a most of the o-rings needed, instead of the $40 price tag for "Racor Seal Service Kit - RK 1521". I did not find a match for the beveled

I added details and uploaded supporting documents, including my cross-reference sheet for Racor/McMaster.
https://pearson365.com/forum/index.php?topic=2107.0
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 22:14   #4

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

Scherzoja,

I’ve been wrestling with this issue and I’m really grateful that you shared the results of your work with us on the forum.

Svtrio
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 04:10   #5

I ordered the fittings thru Defender-they are Racor fittings and they were ridiculously overpriced. I did tighten them, but at a certain point the fitting turns and the resistance doesn’t change-my assumption was that continuing to turn would cause o ring extrusion and leaking. As of now, the leak is very slow, more like a weeping leak so I am thinking that pipe sealant might be the next step (which, interestingly, Racor recommends).
Old 16-06-2020, 04:56   #6

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I may have botched my filter change when stupid from hunger and posted about it, but I’d always use pile sealant on every single fitting I ever tighten.

It’s necessary.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 09:59   #7

Boat: Currently in between

Due to a tank of excessively bad fuel and being in the islands under Covid lockdown, I had to disassemble a Racor 500 twice. The inlet and check ball inside the housing but prior to the filter was plugged solid with a mass that looked like an oyster!

Both times I disassembled I never replaced an O-Ring as I had none and I never used sealant or tape on the threads. I tightened the fittings pretty tight with a wrench and no leaks, either time. That is no leaks, at all, when reassembled; never had to go back and correct a drip or seep. Same held true for the compression fittings.

Was I lucky? I doubt it, never had luck on any of my other repairs!

I think they are made to be tightened down tight as mentioned earlier in this thread.
SV Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 10:33   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Why would anyone put thread sealant on an O-ring seal?
So far as still turning after being tight, I assume you have the 90 degree fittings?
No one ever said O-rings are proprietary

On edit on an O-ring seal fitting the O-rind does the sealing, the threaded portion hold the Assy together.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 14:23   #9

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

A64 +1
Old 16-06-2020, 14:53   #10

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Being a retired commercial diver, and also responsible at one time to build diving system's, like diving bells and decompression chambers, lots of O rings being used on various equipment, never use any sort of thread sealant for various reason's.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 16:45   #11

This from Racor manual. Mine is weeping-I did not use sealant, but maybe the engineers at Parker know something about diesel.

These customer supplied materials should be on hand before beginning installation.
• Shop Towels
• Mounting Hardware
• Inlet/Outlet Fittings
Fuel Hose
• Clean Diesel Fuel
• Parker Super O-lube or Clean Motor Oil
• Thread Sealant (no thread tapes)
Old 16-06-2020, 17:52   #12

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
This from Racor manual. Mine is weeping-I did not use sealant, but maybe the engineers at Parker know something about diesel.

These customer supplied materials should be on hand before beginning installation.
• Shop Towels
• Mounting Hardware
• Inlet/Outlet Fittings
• Fuel Hose
• Clean Diesel Fuel
• Parker Super O-lube or Clean Motor Oil
• Thread Sealant (no thread tapes)
I'm pretty sure they mean the thread sealant for the other end (JIC end of the fittings).
Best wishes
Old 16-06-2020, 18:20   #13

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

The thread sealant is to seal the THREADS where they screw into the filter. O-rings never use a sealant. The compressible rubber is the sealant. A little oil on the o-ring is a good thing.

O-ring seals cannot be damaged by "overtightening". The o-ring sits in a groove whose depth is typically 80% of the o-ring thickness. When you tighten the fitting the metal faces of the fitting come into hard contact and the o-ring, in its groove, is compressed 20%. You can't harm the o-ring by overtightening.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 18:26   #14

Boat: Lancer 36

As a marine and industrial mechanic, i repaired lots of assemblies with O rings damaged by over tightening....your mileage may vary.
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 19:20   #15

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

If that is the case then you have had the misfortune to deal with poorly designed or machined components. As an engineer who has designed hundreds of o-ring sealed things and has built and maintained many of them, a correctly built o-ring seal cannot over compress the o-ring. This is inherent in basic o-ring design logic.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor