Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2012, 05:42   #1

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)
Why Is My Engine Racing Away?

my ford dorset 80hp is being recommissioned after 2 years, it starts ok with a lot of starter spray in to the air intake, then after a few minutes it races wildly - throttle is a quarter open throughout. do i have a problem with the Governor?
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 06:20   #2

Boat: Hunter 25.5
Well! To start how much starting fluid are we talking about? If you need it at every attempt you have major compression issues. As far as the racing issue it could be your governor if it's equipped with one, not all diesels have one. Be careful it doesn't "run away", which is when a diesel over revs and is almost impossible to shut down. When a diesel runs away they start using their own engine oil for fuel and build rpms til they run out of a fuel source or dynamite themselves. I wouldn't want anything near when one explodes, like your body or a fiberglass hull. Just saying to be cautious during your diagnostics !
WrenchBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 08:33   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Why Is My Engine Racing Away?

Solve the starting problem and the runaway problem will probably solve itself. You are not doing your engine any good by using starting fluid.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 08:47   #4

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

All of the above,,if you use stating fluid anymore than one little puff of fluid near the air cleaner is enough,,anymore than that and you need to re-time the injector head.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 08:53   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

The governor works with the injection pump. In essence you're bypassing that system by using starting fluid.

There's a good chance you're making your problems worse. Time to get the engine to a mechanic? As the mechanic to begin with a compression check.
Old 17-03-2012, 08:55   #6

Check to make sure your engine oil isnt over filled. If it runs at a normal RPM for a few minutes before it races ,it could be from oil being thrown up onto the cylinder walls. I assume that you have a 4 cylinder engine. Is there any chance that it is starting on 3 cylinders, and the 4th kicks in when it has warmed up for a few minutes? 1/4 throttle will give you fairly high revs if there is no load on the engine. When the engine races, if you put the throttle to idle does it slow down or keep racing? Does the engine stop when you pull the stop cable or push the stop button? If you can answer these questions it will narrow the possible causes. ___Good Luck____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 09:22   #7

... it might be a fuel problem. Do you mean out of control faster and faster..?. or does it go up and down... fast then slower..? The latter might be a fuel issue. If it sat 2 years you should clean the whole fuel filter system etc. Did you need starter fluid before storing it? If not, you might have some rings frozen up. Are you sure the cable to the throttle is actually moving?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 10:40   #8

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

. Do you mean out of control faster and faster..?.
Then it might be difficult to stop it too..? If this is true the engine runs on oil, not fuel. Checkup piston rings..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 21:59   #9

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)

:bang head: hello - thanks for the comments. i have one remaining issue, where the fuel line for one cylinder goes into the top of the governor fuel is welling out when engine is running. i have tried tightening it (it enters with a long hexagonal nut to secure) but it is already very tight and looks like the others - sound! any ideas?
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 23:06   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Heres a GOOD Idea !! Get a Mechanic down to look at this thing before you mess it up beyond repair !That starting fluid should be Banned it's washed way to many sets of rings never use it unless theres NO other way to start and then I don't mean at the dock I mean at sea and Have to have power !! Just the 2 cents of a 50 yr diesel Mech.
Old 28-03-2012, 00:28   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie
Heres a GOOD Idea !! Get a Mechanic down to look at this thing before you mess it up beyond repair !That starting fluid should be Banned it's washed way to many sets of rings never use it unless theres NO other way to start and then I don't mean at the dock I mean at sea and Have to have power !! Just the 2 cents of a 50 yr diesel Mech.
+1

No offence to those offering to help but I havent heard anything plausible yet. This thing has a serious control problem and is likely something in the injector pump. The b-nut or banjo fitting that is leaking is likely cracked if not the body of the pump. There's a reason god invented torque wrenches...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 09:08   #12

Shanaly, You say you have one more issue? What solved the other issues? This is an educational forum, so a solution to a problem is good for everyone reading this thread.______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 09:21   #13

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Air in the fuel system. The fuel leak makes it obvious. Fix the fuel leak, fix all the air leaks before the lift pump, bleed it completely and it just might start right up and run properly.
Diesels are completely unforgiving of leaks.
Old 02-04-2012, 20:07   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Stop using ether....you have probably killed the compression rings.

If you have high crankcase pressure, the engine is probably running on lube oil.

Rebuild time....perts are available
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine