Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 08:48   #1

Will Diesel odor be a problem?

I am considering converting the space where my two 50 gallon water tanks are in the living area to fuel tanks. Currently I have two 50 gallon water tanks, one under each settee.

I want to buy two brand new aluminum tanks, same exact size and shape and just drop them in place and convert them to diesel. My only concern is if there is going to be a problem with diesel odor if i do this and how bad it might be.

My current tank is under the quarter berth and I can definitely smell the diesel slightly when I sleep in that bunk. Since I am live aboard, smelling that 24/7 in the main cabin if I do this conversion might be an issue.

My question is, if I replace everything with new and keep everything very tidy, replace hoses occasionally, prevent leaks etc...etc...do you think the diesel will still permeate the hoses and fittings and the smell become noticeable? Am I being unrealistic to expect to be able to contain the odor?

Im sure part of the problem with my current tank and location is the fact thats its old and fittings or hoses have not been checked in a couple decades or more. Possibly the hoses are permeated or leaking or there have been spills in the past.

I would love to hear any recommendations or suggestions on how it might be possible to maintain the odor if you guys think its doable. My initial thought was to build sealed boxes around the tanks with sealed access hatches to try and help, but this does not take into account the hoses that will run outside these containers.
User 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:05   #2

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Re: Will Diesel odor be a problem?

If all is done "right" you should not have any odors. But that is the catch getting it right, there is almost always some little seep somewhere. Me, I don't mind or sometimes even notice a little diesel smell (I was a mechanic for 20 odd years). My wife on the other hand can smell that "sink" from metres away, so I may have to redo and wash installations a couple of times before it is acceptable. YMMV
Old Today, 11:12   #3

Boat: 1983 Catalina 30 5411 STD Rig

If it doesn't leak and is properly vented, there will be no odor.
fox9988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:30   #4

I would not install a aluminum tank if you can do it with a poly tank. My aluminum tank corroded on the bottom and I believe it had been leaking for several years giving me a diesel smell in the engine compartment and quarter birth. With a new poly tank no more smell.
MikeHoncho is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, odor