Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2009, 17:34   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Will the fuel back pressure be harmful?

I'm putting together my fuel filter / fuel polishing system right now and I think there may be one of the 3 way valves that I don't need (but I'm not sure). Will the fuel back pressure be harmful while I'm in fuel polishing mode? Could those that know, have a look at the pic and let me know.
I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Extemp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3wayQuestionFFilterSysDesignRev1.png
Views:	192
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	6945  
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 17:58   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Ideally your fuel polishing/fuel transfer system will be completely separate from your engine fuel system.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 18:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Ideally your fuel polishing/fuel transfer system will be completely separate from your engine fuel system.
Fair enough.
However, this way, I can use the polishing pump as a backup pump if my engine fuel pump (it's electric also) fails. With all the valves, even combining things, it is large enough.
Did you see what I was getting at in my pic?
Any idea there?

Thanks,
Extemp.
Old 31-01-2009, 18:40   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I guess it would depend on your motor. Your drawing looks more like a double filtering system. It has to go threw (6) 3-way valves just to get to the motor.

Mine would not take back pressure because the return lines between each injector are not clamped but just press-on hoses, which I've had to replace a couple times over the years due to seepage.

So, I would say it's up to your fuel line set up. If you had a leaking/open injector it may try to back flush into a cylinder.

How many hours on the motor?
Old 31-01-2009, 18:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I guess it would depend on your motor. Your drawing looks more like a double filtering system. It has to go threw (6) 3-way valves just to get to the motor.

Mine would not take back pressure because the return lines between each injector are not clamped but just press-on hoses, which I've had to replace a couple times over the years due to seepage.

So, I would say it's up to your fuel line set up. If you had a leaking/open injector it may try to back flush into a cylinder.

How many hours on the motor?
Thanks for the reply.
It's a Westerbeke 46 and has about 900 hours.
Sounds like the safest is to put the 3 way in which is fine. Just thought I might take one out. After all I started in the motor room at the stern and just had a look in the V-berth to see what I could move if the system makes it that far forward.

Extemp.
Old 31-01-2009, 19:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Yes, there are two filters. It will be able to run through in series or either one separately, all configurable while the engine remains running. I also have vacuum gauges on the tops of the filters. If the first one starts to plug it will show the same high vacuum on the second vacuum gauge unfortunately. It would read properly once the first filter was taken off line.

Extemp.

Tags
fuel