Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2024, 07:37   #1

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'
Wrapping existing pitted stainless steel muffler with fiberglass? (hole pic included)

I've been trying to find a replacement muffler for my Beneteau First 42 but most replacements are too wide to fit. Vetus does have one that is narrow enough but TBD if it will fit, it's rather long.

Someone in my other thread hererecommended wrapping my existing muffler with fiberglass and then reinstalling. This sounds like a pretty great solution given how difficult it is to fit a replacement. Has anyone else done this ? Any tips? suggestions? I would attempt to grind as much corrosion off the existing stainless and then wrap the entire thing. My main concern is the two materials expanding at different rates which would allow water to fit into the seam between the glass/stainless and eventually work it's way out the sides because the inlet/outlet cannot be glassed (to preserve the existing outer diameter for the hoses).

Alternatively I have a quote for a custom made one @$600.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2859.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	289809  
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 07:48   #2

Boat: Moody 376
Re: Wrapping existing pitted stainless steel muffler with fiberglass? (hole pic inclu

if you've already got it out of the boat. I'd get one made and be done with it. and not have to worry about it for another 40 years...
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 09:40   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Wrapping existing pitted stainless steel muffler with fiberglass? (hole pic inclu

So you want to cover up the corrosion til' it collapses and blocks your exhaust or until it corrodes enough to separate from the glass and fill your boat with exhaust fumes ????? Not a good plan.

PS. it takes up to two weeks for CO to clear from your blood. Diesel does produce much less CO than gasoline but accumulating in your blood over several days will have the same result and don't forget CO is odorless.
Old 13-05-2024, 09:48   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Been there, done that on my First 456.. The epoxy and fiberglass fix was still going strong 10 years later.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 09:51   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
I've been trying to find a replacement muffler for my Beneteau First 42 but most replacements are too wide to fit. Vetus does have one that is narrow enough but TBD if it will fit, it's rather long.

Someone in my other thread hererecommended wrapping my existing muffler with fiberglass and then reinstalling. This sounds like a pretty great solution given how difficult it is to fit a replacement. Has anyone else done this ? Any tips? suggestions? I would attempt to grind as much corrosion off the existing stainless and then wrap the entire thing. My main concern is the two materials expanding at different rates which would allow water to fit into the seam between the glass/stainless and eventually work it's way out the sides because the inlet/outlet cannot be glassed (to preserve the existing outer diameter for the hoses).

Alternatively I have a quote for a custom made one @$600.
for sale Beneteau First 42 never charter good maintained.
order new mufer end story
https://www.vetusmarine.com/store/c/362-Type-MP.aspx or make this custom if sombody will make you for 600$
you work 1-2 Saturday overtime or 2 weeks don take starbucks coffe,
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 09:58   #6

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

I would take that to a Fiberglass place and have another one made to fit.
I would not wrap that one, the metal will corrode even faster and flake off in sheets that could cause problems.
Old 14-05-2024, 15:56   #7

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Pay to get it fabricated
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2024, 17:18   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Obviously the best solution is to have a new one fabricated but also obviously, it is the most expensive. Given the size holes in the existing muffler, replacing it might be the best approach. Initially I understood there was only exterior surface pitting rather than large penetrations of corrosion. A replacement does need to be SS.

However the temperature differential should not be great given the exhaust is water cooled.

While CO is odorless, the rest of the exhaust gas mix is pretty stinky. The smell of any leaking diesel exhaust will drive you out of the boat long before the CO kills you.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2024, 17:34   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Or ... you could do what we did, build your own out of glass and epoxy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5 engine new.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	289875  
Old 15-05-2024, 06:47   #10

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Would one of these work? / Len

https://vetusonline.com/english/cata...uffler/id/154/

http://marineexhaustmanifolds.com/marine-mufflers.htm
Old 15-05-2024, 08:29   #11

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
The closest one that MAY fit is the WLOCKL50R
https://www.vetusmarine.com/store/p/...lock-LP50.aspx

The rest are too wide.
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, muffler, stainless steel, steel