Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 19:19   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
"Ya Can't get parts for it anymore"

In the past three weeks, I have had two prospective customers tell me that they need to have a repower done; That a mechanic told them that they can't get parts for their engine anymore.
While this may be true in some cases, it wasn't true in these two.
I have had some old engines that I have found parts for. The Internet has made this so much easier.
I have also had a couple of cases where a prospective buyer was told by the Yard Manager that "you can't get parts for Ford-Lehman or Universal Diesels". This was in front of the broker and the prospective buyer. The broker called me up and asked me to educate the prospective owner, which I was happy to do.
All I can say is that as long as these guys keep doing this....I will never run out of work.
Thanks for letting me "vent"

I :love: my A-4 and PW-27
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 19:35   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I was doing some work on Miss Bardahl a few years back. They were having trouble finding a crankshaft for the Rolls motor. One was finally found in S. Africa.

1958 U-40 Miss Bardahl

One just has to look far and wide sometimes, but with the net today, if there is something out it can be found.
Old 05-12-2007, 19:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I was doing some work on Miss Bardahl a few years back. They were having trouble finding a crankshaft for the Rolls motor. One was finally found in S. Africa.

1958 U-40 Miss Bardahl

One just has to look far and wide sometimes, but with the net today, if there is something out it can be found.
Is it a Rolls Royce Merlin engine?

Edit: Sorry it says it's a Merlin in the article. I knew a guy who raced similar boats, with RR Merlins. I could try to get in touch if you still need parts.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 19:57   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Repowering comes up frequently when a boat owner reaches the day when an overhaul is necessary. I'd be interested in other opinions but my first response is to ask why repower?

There are a lot of hidden costs with a repower including wiring, exhaust routing, mounting, access as well as considerations of prop and gearbox. As far as I can see so far repowering is almost always a lot more expensive than an overhaul.

The main considerations in my mind are availability of parts for the current motor and the need for any performance increase. A lot of times you hear the, "The current engine is unreliable or expensive," but I find that to be untrue in most cases. It has usually done good service for 15-20 years. Unreliability is more often caused by age and lack of maintenance.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 20:00   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thanks!

"One was finally found in S. Africa."

Yeah! It was a Rolls-Royce Merlin but I did the work on the heat exchanger. The motor was mechanic's problem.