Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 06:15   #16
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Yamaha 8hp outboard issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted and Relinda View Post
We have the same motor and the problem we have is the pee tube keeps blocking up. I have paper clip close by to keep clearing it. Bought used, I think the po must have picked up sand or something. Lucky it hasn't over heated. Ted.
Important to connect the freshwater flush after removal from salt water.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 14:19   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Yamaha 8hp outboard issue

Get a container of SaltAway. Dilute it per instructions into a barrel. Let the bottom of the motor stand submerged overnight and then run the engine as normal but ensure the pee tube discharges back into barrel - to avoid waste. Once the water flow is improved significantly, replace the berrel water with a fresh solution of SaltAway and keep repeating until the cooling water discharge is restored. Dont forget to check the impellor is not in need of replacement. We keep a 50 litre barrel aboard for fresh water rinsing of outboards and rinsing of scuba gear (fresh water only for the scuba gear) etc. This barrel get constant use - useful bit of cheap gear. Its stored with gear we want to keep dry it with its clamp on lid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd Burgess View Post
Hello everyone.
I have a 2010 8hP OB. Never had any issues with it ever. I did a long sail from Australia through SEA and since then haven't used it for the last 6 months, until now.

Fresh fuel...3 pulls no problems...well so it seemed. I let it warm up for a while before going for a spin. It kept stalling under load. Cleaned in-line fuel filter and checked plugs/spark etc - all good. But it keeps stalling under load. I discovered that it will run ok(ish) with the choke out about halfway.

I didn't drain the fuel after a really long and hard sail. Bad move...also there's no help here at all. Really need it to be reliable as before! Would appreciate some advice.

Lloyd.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard