Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2018, 04:12   #1

Boat: Ontario 28
Yanmar 12SB

Hey all,

my old (1978) Ontario 28 yanmar kicks out a S-tonne of oil when first increasing throttle. then mellows out.... she never seems to lose too much oil, though.... I tried to drain reservoir cannister where the exhaust flows out but nothing seems to be in there... any thoughts?

She also seems to be "missing" a beat this year, ever once in a while,
btw changed raycor filter this year, and only in fresh water....
Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike
WightSpirit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 05:56   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yanmar 12SB

Are you sure it's oil, it may be unburnt fuel or unburnt fuel plus carbon from the exhaust mixing elbow. The exhaust mixing elbow does clog up with carbon and the SB engines do dump unburnt fuel when the injector pump is worn and you open the throttle or otherwise overload the engine.

If it is the same injector pump as the YSB (and I think it is), they are a pretty crude affair but easy enough to rebuild. It might be due a new regulator valve by now.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 06:48   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Yanmar 12SB

If its dumping oil when the throttle is sped up, it’s also dumping a large blue oil smelling cloud. If there isn’t a lot of blue smoke, it’s not oil.
Although some call fuel, oil.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 09:26   #4

[QUOTE=Wotname;2695874]Are you sure it's oil, it may be unburnt fuel or unburnt fuel plus carbon from the exhaust mixing elbow.

It is black like tar , floats on top, and is accompnied by blue smoke , she always send out a small amount of thi s! ...and she does burn a bit of oil too. If it is oil, are there piston rings ? Valves ??? time to look at some diagrams online I guess, I think I have the owners manual, but will look for a decent pdf of the engine and start planning some wrench time this winter. Thanks, M
Old 15-08-2018, 09:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If its dumping oil when the throttle is sped up, it’s also dumping a large blue oil smelling cloud. If there isn’t a lot of blue smoke, it’s not oil.
Although some call fuel, oil.
Cheers, I guess it is oil, nr\ext thing to find out why ?

Thanks, M
Old 15-08-2018, 20:05   #6

Well I guess you have two options.
1. Try to diagnose the actual fault while you engine is still intact and running
or
2. Tear it down and look inside and rebuild everything that isn't up to spec.

I believe the first option is better .

Start at the easiest and work towards the hardest.

IMO, do the following....
Is the regular maintenance up to date?
Air filter (if fitted) clean and intact?
Fuel and fuel filter clean?

Remove and clean the exhaust mixing elbow, especially if it hasn't been done for a few years.
Measure and adjust tappets (valve lash).
Ensure prop and bottom are clean.

Now try engine again and if no improvement, then pull the injector and check /observe spray pattern - easy enough to do with your engine (i.e. a single cylinder engine that has a decompression lever and a hand crank).

If spray pattern is bad (see manual for details) either clean and rebuild injector (simple job) or take it to an injector shop for same.

If injector is OK then check compression although if engine can be started easily and especially if it can still be hand started, then compression should be good enough. However a compression test at this stage will confirm this or otherwise.

If compression is good, I would now probably look at getting the injector pump looked at. This is a simple beast on this engine so you might give it ago yourself otherwise take it to the injector pump shop. These pumps do wear and will cause over fuelling, they only have a few parts and they are still available.

If compression is bad, pull the head and check valve seats, especially the exhaust valve for wear / pitting. Check liner for wear / lip etc.

You should be able to get a good service manual on line but if not, someone here on CF will have one or use the custom google search on CF.

Disclaimer - I am not a diesel mechanic, just a DIY guy who has maintained a few small marine diesels in the past and currently doing a complete rebuild on a Yanmar YSE8 which is very similar engine to your SB12. I reckon if I can do all the above, you can.

Perhaps other real mechanics will post soon .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 15-08-2018, 22:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
You should be able to get a good service manual on line but if not, someone here on CF will have one or use the custom google search on CF..........
Hmm perhaps not...I just had a look for one for another reason and couldn't find one quickly.

Operation manuals seem easy to get but not a full service manual - at least I couldn't find one quickly.

I do have a complete parts breakdown for the SB8 & 12 if that is any help; it's a little over 10M (pdf) if you want it emailed etc.

FWIW, the injector and injector pump is almost the same as the YSE8 and I do have a service manual for the YSE & YSM.

Tags
yanmar