Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2012, 09:06   #1

Boat: Ericson 26
Yanmar 1GM need a new head...

Hi Everyone,

A few months back I bought an 84 Ericson26. She has a Yanmar 1gm. She ran great for a little while then started to fade. She wouldnt start. We'll we went through the engine and replaced many parts - mixing elbow, fuel lift pump, injector to name a few all to no avail. When we pulled the head we discovered a little pitting right at the edge of the cylinder, right where the head gasket failed... so it was a bad head and head gasket that was causing a compression leak. Looking at the head we knew it was practically a goner but decided to see if we could get her to hold with a little repair work (grinding and cleaning) low and behold it worked! But!!! last week the engine started to smoke *white smoke, and while it idled fine it was losing power on rev. It seemed like a fuel issue, but it turns out it wasnt... And now she wont start...

So it looks like the head is a goner. I am wondering if anyone knows where I might find a used head for a Yanmar 1gm? I know its a long shot but they're awfully expensive new - $500 +/- and so a used one that I can rebuild is a much more attractive offer.

Anyone have any recommendations of where to look for a used head for a Yanmar 1gm? Or where is the best place to buy a new one?

Thanks!

Adam
SteppingStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 09:19   #2

Re: Yanmar 1GM need a new head...

seems I saw a complete 1 gm for sale on Craig's List Seattle a couple of months ago, not sure if it sold or not. Have you checked Ebay? If it's not a crack.. wonder if it could just be brazed and filed back to shape? Talk with a head rebuilder?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 09:25   #3

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Very odd...not 10 minutes ago I posted this info on another
Yanmar related thread.
Have been sitting on this for a while but have not checked it out...
A company in Texas deals in "Yanmar Tractors" parts...they also
buy old tractors and sell used parts.
Again I have not cross checked motors/parts between marine and tractor diesels but may be worth your while to check into.
Strongly suspect many motor basics the same if you can cross check different motor ID's between the two.
www.hoyetractor.com
Best, Hugo
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 09:42   #4

Boat: Ericson 26

Im not really sure it can be fixed and the price to fix her may be almost as much as it costs for a new one... so keeping Murphy and his silly law in mind I thought I'd try and find a used head that is in decent shape. I know that may not be possible... But since there is a bit of corrosion on the head as it is the odds of something else failing are high...

Thank Hugo, I'll see if there is a tractor engine that shares the head... any ideas on how I could find that out?
SteppingStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 13:55   #5

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Adam, As stated I have not cross checked ...but I know at least some parts are interchangable...such as starters...and a while back as least some tractor and marine diesels shared same h.p.
and manufacture dates...If they are at all compatible I'm sure
Yanmar would not make it easy to cross reference...but a diesel
mech/parts who is in a area where both tractors and marine diesels are serviced my be in the know. I am under the impression there are small yanmar tractors running on small
1 cyl motors. Worth some homework if you come up empty otherwise.
May be wrong...but I have a feeling...
Best,Hugo
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, yanmar