Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2013, 10:16   #46

Re: Yanmar 2GM - water in oil - help!

How many hours on the engine? Might be good to get the valve seals up to snuff if the engine has a bunch of hours... heck it's off now, rebuild it.... did it smoke when you first started up?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 18:38   #47

So I've gotten word back from the machine shop - the head checks out; no cracks observed even under heated magnafluxing. They do recommend a full rebuild and grind, so that's what we're doing. Of course, now I'm gone for a week, but hopefully stuff starts going back together, soon. . .
dr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:44   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_c View Post
So I've gotten word back from the machine shop - the head checks out; no cracks observed even under heated magnafluxing. They do recommend a full rebuild and grind, so that's what we're doing. Of course, now I'm gone for a week, but hopefully stuff starts going back together, soon. . .
I've left the machine shop a thousand times... But I have never heard them say "It doesn't REALLY need a rebuild, we'll just clean it up" So... Sounds about right!

Anyway... Glad there wasn't a problem... Make sure they surface the deck so we can eliminate that...

Get yourself a straight edge longer than the length of the block and lay the edge down on it in many orientations... You can use a feeler gauge or strong flashlight to look for low spots or "valleys" on the block mating surface... Do both long sides, corner to corner across, and side to side on each side of every piston....

Let's make sure those surfaces are perfectly flat before we slap that head back on!

Enjoy your week away from your moonlight marine mechanic job!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 16:22   #49

(In the meanwhile, the MG got jealous and the water pump now sounds like a coffee grinder. . . And July is coming!)
Old 07-04-2013, 03:30   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_c View Post
(In the meanwhile, the MG got jealous and the water pump now sounds like a coffee grinder. . . And July is coming!)
Oh dear... We all know that the cooling system on these babies must be in top notch condition in anything above the 50 degree dreary foggy foggy weather they were designed to operate in! (former TR3A/4/8 owner)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 18:44   #51

Happy summer, everyone. Well, I've been sailing and motorsailing and otherwise enjoying the summer. I thought I should finally post a requiem to this thread. Let's review.

Turns out what I needed was a head gasket. On a Yanmar 2GM, a blown head gasket can be responsible for water in oil and low oil pressure after hydrolocking. Case closed.

I did replace the head bolts (in case they stretched during hydrolock), but ended up reusing the exhaust pipe, simply because no-one had one locally. So if you're reading this - keep it simple. A blown head gasket can cause low oil pressure - my original question. And a head gasket doesn't always look too blown (mine didn't).

Fair winds,

Dr. C.

Tags
2gm, head gasket, oil, water, yanmar