Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2021, 10:06   #1

Boat: Bayfield 29C Cutter
Yanmar 2gm20F Impeller doesn't look right

I bought a new impeller but when I installed it I noticed that there was no bar across the middle to engage the pump. See pics. My question is: why is the part not right? Is my pump not an actual Yanmar? My engine has a "E" in front of the serial number and I've heard that that means some parts are different. The gasket was also different and didn't fit the bolt holes.
My pump has an o-ring but no gasket. Hopefully the pics will explain better.
and4ew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 10:27   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Yanmar 2gm20F Impeller doesn't look right

Pics?..
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 10:45   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

It's not, right that is.
Original pump on my 3gm had slotted shaft to fit the bar, a Yanmar branded replacement used a keyway instead. They are all the same pump just different impellor drives, sounds like you got the wrong impellor. The "bar" drive ones are a Johnson Pump part while the keyway is a Sierra impellor.
Keyway impellor: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierr...62?recordNum=1
Bar Drive: https://www.parts4engines.com/yanmar...-rebuild-kits/
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 11:15   #4

Boat: Bayfield 29C Cutter

Yeah, that's it. Thanks for the confirmation. My pump says Johnson Sweden on the back. Learn by doing I guess
and4ew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 19:23   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by and4ew View Post
Yeah, that's it. Thanks for the confirmation. My pump says Johnson Sweden on the back. Learn by doing I guess
Best way to learn!

FWIW, The "E" in the serial number indicates the engine was manufactured in Europe (the Netherlands I believe). They are often shipped without a few easy to add parts for tax purposes in the importing country. Allows some countries to claim 'assembled in xxx'. The water pump">raw water pump is a classic example and you will find more than one raw water pump hose in the parts manual.

Yanmar has never made any raw water pumps for their small engines.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 00:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by and4ew View Post
I bought a new impeller but when I installed it I noticed that there was no bar across the middle to engage the pump. See pics. My question is: why is the part not right? Is my pump not an actual Yanmar? My engine has a "E" in front of the serial number and I've heard that that means some parts are different. The gasket was also different and didn't fit the bolt holes.
My pump has an o-ring but no gasket. Hopefully the pics will explain better.

Yanmar fitted a number of different makers' pumps.
In future buy the pump-makers' nominated spares, not engine-nominated spare.
You could try pressing out the pin, from the old impeller and hope that it all fits, or exchanging the impeller USING THE PUMP nomenclature.
For me it became a routine with a Johnson instead of a YB pump on my 2GM.
Fortunately when I replaced that with a 3YM, not only did the boat go faster but it went farther on the same amount of fuel and only ONE impeller type. At that point impeller replacements became history, they just don't wear out. Instead one has to re-machine the face of the plate and the internal shoe after about 1000 hours in tidal, sandy waters.

You'll have to cut a new gasket, using a peen hammer and a piece of thick brown paper. Easy peasy if you've had anythong to do with vintage (pre-1930) motors.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, yanmar