Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2024, 19:43   #1

Yanmar 2GM20F Not Running on “Free” Boat

I’m new to the community and hope to gain some advice. I dream of sailing. I grew up in the San Juan islands (Washington state) and live in really prime sailing waters. I’m 43 and have a great job and would love to get a proper sailboat to tool around the sound. 30’ seems the perfect size as I could manage solo but big enough for my family.

Here is the question. I have a local who has posted a boat she has been trying to sell. (Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/jCgopizG6Kb)

It is fully able to sail per her claims and has been ignored for about a year. She went overseas and on return the Yanmar Diesel won’t run. She is assuming it’s a fuel compression issue but I don’t have a ton of confidence that she know what’s the problem is. Could be simple could be a disaster. My thoughts are the boat would be worth free if the sails and rigging are good… needs some cosmetic restoration and new bottom paint. If the old diesel is t fixable, a replacement could be had for under 5k.

I’m I being delusional in thinking about taking this on? Is it better to just wait and buy another boat? My fear is paying 15k for a boat and then ending up having to put another 10k into it vs this one being free and knowing that everything is done correctly. Could also be a learning experience to be familiar with my boat as I plan to be very hands on and self sufficient. Any advice is greatly appreciated and hopefully the OfferUp link works!

Cheers!
Theforestduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 12:07   #2

Boat: Catalina 42
Re: Yanmar 2GM20F Not Running on “Free” Boat

I was able to see the link by "opening in a new tab."

At first I tried to cut and paste it into my browser and that just took me to OfferUp's homepage.

Newport built a lot of boats and many of them are still afloat. She looks a little rough cosmetically, but the price is certainly right.

I had that same engine in a 30 foot boat. It is a great little motor. Suggest you pull the exhaust elbow and look for corrosion/carbon buildup and clean or replace as necessary. They are known for that issue.

If you are confident in evaluating the condition of the deck, rigging and sails then this might really be a "free lunch."

One thing that jumped out in the photos is the wiring in the engine room. Looks pretty sketchy....
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 12:22   #3

Boat: S2 9.1

There are much better boats in running condition to be had for 15k USD. This one looks to me like I might consider it around $5k but it is a huge project. You could maybe get the motor rebuilt for 5K but a new installation would be at least 15.

Good Luck
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 12:58   #4

I think this link would be better

https://offerup.com/item/detail/2412...9?q=newport+30
Old 10-07-2024, 13:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
There are much better boats in running condition to be had for 15k USD. This one looks to me like I might consider it around $5k but it is a huge project. You could maybe get the motor rebuilt for 5K but a new installation would be at least 15.

Good Luck
You are saying 15k for a rebuilt motor installed?
Old 10-07-2024, 14:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post

Good Luck
I cant open the link but I guess it's a Newport ... 27 or 30?
I'm with this poster as far as price goes, adjustable depending on condition of things. Sails are expensive. $5k is more than enough for a 27 footer. More $ for a 30 though. .

There may not be much wrong with the diesel, if they sit a year or two it is often some work to get things going again.
I wouldnt worry about the exhaust elbow until you get it to start! They will start with a poor elbow.
The most likely issue is fuel. Clean everything regarding the fuel supply, filters etc. Crack the nuts at the injectors and crank it to see bubble free clear fuel.
If you have two people you can put diesel in a spray bottle and spray into the intake with the air screen/filter off while someone cranks the engine. It may start right up then die. If it does this, you know you have a fuel issue.

WARNING: If you buy a running $15K boat you will put $10k into it! If you get a boat which is too much of a project you will be a boat maintenance person, not a sailor.
True words:
"The most expensive boat is a free boat"

I've bought too many inexpensive boats (for their size) in my life and virtually every one of them has been very expensive in the end.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 17:29   #7

The price of the boat is “free.” My 5k number is based on if I need to purchase a rebuilt motor.

Another concern I have is my ability to manage single. Is 30’ too big to single sail?
Old 10-07-2024, 17:49   #8

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theforestduff View Post
The price of the boat is “free.” My 5k number is based on if I need to purchase a rebuilt motor.

Another concern I have is my ability to manage single. Is 30’ too big to single sail?
If the only thing wrong is the engine then it is likely a deal. The issue is it rarely is only the engine. A lot will also come down to your ability to do the work yourself. Even if you have never done it before if you are mechanically inclined and can read manuals nothing on a boat is rocket science. If you can't do the work yourself the costs are going to skyrocket.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 17:50   #9

Boat: Hunter 340

For anyone else here is a link that works

https://offerup.co/jCgopizG6Kb
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 18:03   #10

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theforestduff View Post

You would be doing the installation yourself with a budget of 5k.

Lots of people singlehand boats much larger than 30 feet. You already have a roller furling jib, suggest lazy jacks for the main and an autopilot to make single handing easier.

Boat is a project for sure, but if the “bones” are good you could make it real nice for a reasonable investment.
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 19:33   #11

Boat: C&C 38 Mark III

What about moorage? Not sure of your area but around here (BC) finding moorage can be a big issue. 30 feet is not too much boat to handle with a tiller pilot. As a mechanic once told me: “it’s pretty hard to kill a diesel”.
Take a closer look at the wiring it looks worse than dodgy! Is there a start battery or just a small “house bank”?

Just remember it always takes longer and cost more than expected - but that’s true of all boats!
Calaban-Alleria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 21:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban-Alleria View Post
What about moorage? Not sure of your area but around here (BC) finding moorage can be a big issue. 30 feet is not too much boat to handle with a tiller pilot. As a mechanic once told me: “it’s pretty hard to kill a diesel”.
Take a closer look at the wiring it looks worse than dodgy! Is there a start battery or just a small “house bank”?

Just remember it always takes longer and cost more than expected - but that’s true of all boats!
The Marina is going to let me assume the slip. I was an electrician for 12 years so the wiring doesn’t bother me. I think I’m thinking about this like I did when I was young and into old VWs. When I rebuilt the motors and re-wired them and replaced all the bits and bobs, I really got to know the car. I felt connected to it. Even now, I make good money but I still drive old vehicles and work on them myself. I feel like taking them to a mechanic is like infidelity or something It feels odd to have someone else hands under their hoods. Maybe I’m weird.

If I’m sailing and something goes wrong i want to know how this thing works so I’m not stuck waiting for someone to rescue me.

That being said… I hear the “nothing cost more than a free boat.” I just got my son a free piano and I think I could have bought him a Steinway after fixing it up for him. It’s pretty much true with everything. I’m probably being a little irresponsible but I’m going to go look and sit on the decision for a day and try to act my age and not make an emotional decision… but dang I want a sailboat.
Old 10-07-2024, 23:09   #13

Boat: Volkscruiser

Theforestduff I would want to take the yacht out of the water to check there's a rudder, propeller and shaft. Also to check the keel and condition of hull below the waterline. If the boats been neglected when was the shaft anode last changed?
I imagine the owner surely would have had a mechanic look at the engine? So maybe it's unfixable? Which would be a surprise as the Yanmar GM series seems to go forever.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2024, 03:32   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
For anyone else here is a link that works

https://offerup.co/jCgopizG6Kb
Nope - offerup is geofenced only to the US.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2024, 06:27   #15

Boat: Moody 376

proud owner of a $1 boat. if you have a good eye, and are mechanically inclined and ready to spend your time working on it, it can work. You could, in theory, spend a lot less money on the boat and end up with something that has value. Yachtworld has a few for sale from 14.9-27K

27K looks turn key, the 14k not so much. The one you posted

Sweat equity...if you have to pay a professional to do work on your boat. it will get very expensive, very quick.

be realistic, this isn't going to be a few weekends of work and bam you're sailing. this will have to be a labor of love for you.

You will go the boat full of hope in the morning, and totally get gut punched and come home a broken person. What makes it worse, you'll have to do it again and again and again.

I spent every weekend, holiday and day off for 8 months getting my boat safe for use. You have to prepare yourself for this.
Dont get me wrong, the day that you get the engine to turn over and fire on its own, or when the A/C and refrigeration works, or when you get the new canvas installed are great monumental days that will keep you coming back.

early on you victories are big and noticeable. cleaning the decks, lines, compound, wax, getting the garbage off the boat. huge swings of the bat. Very noticeable changes.. As you near the finish line, you can't see the repaired seacock, new bilge pump, rewired running lights, but you know the work is done.

You will also know this boat much better than any turn key boat you buy.

my $1 was on the hard for 8 years. spent $11k getting it operational.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, boat, yanmar