Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2012, 17:05   #1

Yanmar 2gm20f Semi-problems..

Well this is my first post.

So I have a 28 feet sailboat equipped with a 2gm20f and long story short I had the valve underneath the fuel tank that I shut off last fall (which I had closed to tighten some fitting that was leaking)
So I ran with the engine to get off the trailer and sail around a bit and surprise surprise the engine stopped. I anchored to save myself from a certain grounding and got towed back...

So now that I have bleed the lines and managed to start it again with great pain.

I wonder if that did any damage, it wasn’t like running out of gas as there was no air to replace the fuel in the lines. But I guess they must have got squeezed tight and created some pressure in the lines.

So I have two questions: First of, what I explained above, could that do any damage or is there anything special to do.

Also, I haven't gone for another ride but I managed to start the engine again afterward and while in neutral I noticed that when I try to bring up the rpm at 2-3000 and keep it there a few seconds, the engine brings it back down automatically, is this normal, is the engine protecting itself because there is no load or something like that? I vaguely remember noticing that in neutral a couple of years ago but I am not sure of anything now!

Any explanations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam
Quebec City
MisterTranquill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 01:42   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yanmar 2gm20f semi-problems..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTranquill View Post
Well this is my first post.

So I have a 28 feet sailboat equipped with a 2gm20f and long story short I had the valve underneath the fuel tank that I shut off last fall (which I had closed to tighten some fitting that was leaking)
So I ran with the engine to get off the trailer and sail around a bit and surprise surprise the engine stopped. I anchored to save myself from a certain grounding and got towed back...

So now that I have bleed the lines and managed to start it again with great pain.

I wonder if that did any damage, it wasn’t like running out of gas as there was no air to replace the fuel in the lines. But I guess they must have got squeezed tight and created some pressure in the lines.

So I have two questions: First of, what I explained above, could that do any damage or is there anything special to do.

Also, I haven't gone for another ride but I managed to start the engine again afterward and while in neutral I noticed that when I try to bring up the rpm at 2-3000 and keep it there a few seconds, the engine brings it back down automatically, is this normal, is the engine protecting itself because there is no load or something like that? I vaguely remember noticing that in neutral a couple of years ago but I am not sure of anything now!

Any explanations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam
Quebec City
Welcome aboard MT,
First answer: it shouldn't cause any damage and the only special thing to do is to remember "not to do it again"
Second answer: the engine should run up maximum revs while in neutral and stay there for as long as you have the throttle open. Why it isn't doing that is something that I will have to leave to wiser heads to answer.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 04:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sam.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 05:40   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Welcome aboard!
Your engine will only back off of high speed for the following reasons:
  • Fuel Starvation
  • Air Starvation
  • Linkage vibrating back to idle position