Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2014, 19:02   #1

Boat: ketch, 51'
yanmar 3gm30f heat exchanger

greteeings,

looking for heat exchanger core and obviously looking for cheapest price. Please give me an idea where to find this part. Willing to go for used part. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advanced for your input.

Regards,

Mario
Old 16-12-2014, 10:23   #2

Re: yanmar 3gm30f heat exchanger

I'm mechanically challenged, but going to try the repair my self.
Only I can not find a source for this part.
Hope someone here can help.
Thanx
Old 16-12-2014, 16:08   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The core of the Yanmar 3GM heat exchanger was cupro-nickel alloy. That is why there are no zincs on it because they supposedly aren't needed. Have you checked with Yanmar if either the core or the whole heat exchanger is available??? Better do it while sitting down as Yanmar Marine parts are pricey.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 16:40   #4

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

I'm mechanically challenged, but going to try the repair my self... Don't worry, it's a very simple/straightforward task

...I cannot find a source for this part/Willing to go for used part. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We have one - sorry, it's not for sale - along with just about every other 3GM30F part, excluding the bottom-end and all we were looking for initially was a new starter-motor: The 3GM engines are reaching an age when people have started to replace them, so why not ask around/post some 'wanted' notices at the local yacht clubs, marinas and boat-yards for a complete engine; it'll probably cost you less than a new heat-exchanger and you'll have all the other bits for future use. We bought a complete 30F engine for $500 and spent a morning removing, cleaning and stowing every bolt-on part from it - it was surprising how little locker/stowage space it required and the purchase has already paid for itself twice-over. To be honest, the engine we bought was probably on the expensive side, as we were offered another for $350 with a promise that 'everything works' but the one we bought we could actually see running before handing over the cash, so we knew that all the bits were working.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 17:57   #5

I have a complete heat exchanger including the housing for a 3gm30. Also have a few other parts left after stripping off the engine block. Located in Palmetto, FL if you are in the area to inspect.

John
Pirate007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 18:06   #6

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

You didn't say where in the Gulf of mexico you were located. The distributor for Florida and the South East is The Mastry Engine Center in St. Petersburg Fl( Mastry Engine Center ) . They will only sell to you through a local dealer, but they will tell you which one is closest to you if you give their parts department a call. I just ordered a heat exchanger for a 3jh3CE yesterday and it will be in tomorrow to the local dealer. I needed both the core and the casing. Ran about $1200 with gaskets etc. I don't know what your will cost, but you can look them up on line at Marine Diesel Engines and Engine Parts - Universal, Volvo, Westerbeke, Yanmar, MASE. They list a core for your engine at $658 but they can't sell to you as they can only sell in the north and mid-atlantic. I have found that Yanmar parts in the south run a bit more. My basic exchanger was $1059 from MDD but $1109 from Mastry. Good luck
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 18:14   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The core of the Yanmar 3GM heat exchanger was cupro-nickel alloy. That is why there are no zincs on it because they supposedly aren't needed. Have you checked with Yanmar if either the core or the whole heat exchanger is available??? Better do it while sitting down as Yanmar Marine parts are pricey.
I think they should have left the zincs in the assembly. The damage to my exchanger was clearly galvanic corrosion. Unfortunately the case is aluminum. Guess which part was damaged. I would have rather replaced a pencil zinc than the whole exchanger.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 19:42   #8

Thank you all for your replies, they were most helpful.
Pirate007, left you a message, I'm interested in your heat exchanger, please let me know...thanxs

Did find one on e-bay for $450, you guys think worth it?

Thanx again for all your input.
Old 17-12-2014, 07:30   #9

Mario, no message in my CF inbox but asking $350.00 for the housing and core tube. Looks like the unit in similar condition as the re-painted unit posted on eBay and was working fine when last operated and later removed. I think the re-painted unit on eBay is the same as the other unit shown on eBay that looks rusted out. The unit I have has not been repainted in in good exterior condition and no rust. The boat was left unattended on a salt waterway exposed to waves on the stern and took water in the exhaust and then into the exhaust manifold and one cylinder. Engine block and manifold destroyed but stripped all other parts including the transmission now sold. Have a few parts left including the fresh water pump, injectors and pump, fuel tubes, fuel pump and filter bowl, wiring harness. Also have the water pump">raw water pump but may hang on to that and use on my Yanmar 4 as a backup or spare pump. Alternator and starter sold. Will take pictures later tonight and send you the link. Been kept in my garage for a year and sprayed with oil. Flanges look good but I have never removed the cooler core.
Pirate007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, heat exchanger, yanmar