Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2022, 22:09   #1

Boat: 1991 Caliber 33
Yanmar 3GM30F hose replacement

I’m replacing the raw water hoses on my Yanmar 3GM30F, for the newish to me Caliber 33. The hoses from the thru hull to the Groco sea strainer, to the Seafrost Frig condenser, to the water pump">raw water pump, are all 3/4" ID wire reinforced exhaust hose. The hose from the raw water pump to the heat exchanger is 3/4" ID, but a smaller diameter OD and doesn’t appear to be wire reinforced. I was going to use the same hose as the other sections, but there is a 90 degree bend needed to get around the fresh water hose. I don’t think the wire reinforced hose will make that bend. Since the existing hose is painted Yanmar silver, I can’t see what the hose is. What type of hose do I need for this section?

DD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2421.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	268586  
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:47   #2

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Yanmar 3GM30F hose replacement

I have the same engine.

That hose is supplied by Yanmar. It's a rather tight fit to use stock hose, with how "busy" it is there.

I think I have one I bought years ago as a spare. I better check on that.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:15   #3

Boat: allied, seawind 1, 30.5ft

I rerouted the path in order to insert an inline strainer (to catch broken Impeller parts). This allows using standard car radiator hoses.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
andrzej0nl1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I can see why you want to replace them.

Two ways to get away with using straight stock radiator hose, which is all you need and costs a bunch less than Yanmar is going to charge you:

1. Use two short straight pieces and put a bronze 90 degree elbow between them.

2. Use a long straight piece and instead of its turning 90 degrees to the right as it comes toward you have it turn 270 to the left. Size the loop according to the flexibility of the hose. That solution depends on your having enough space to the side for the loop.

Good luck with it.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:02   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

what I was going to say .. that hose is a yanmar part.
Old 11-12-2022, 17:31   #6

Thanks for the responses. I’ll price out the cost of the hose from my local Yanmar supplier and go from there. Diesel mechanics is new to me, so I’m hesitant to customize at this point. Online I’ve priced it at $98 (part #128690-49010), which is a good value for my comfort. How long it takes to acquire may drive me to alternatives. I’ll be changing out the freshwater hoses next, so have other opportunities to go non-OEM.

DD
Old 11-12-2022, 18:42   #7

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Pull off the old hose, carry it to your NAPA store, hand it to the oldest parts guy in the place, give him time to go back into the racks, and he will bring you one back. At least that has worked for me. They have dozens and dozens of molded heater hoses in stock. It is just a matter of finding one that will work. Google "molded heater hose" and look at the images to get an idea of the almost infinite possibilities that are available. My engine is a 3HM35F almost the same as yours, and I got a replacement for the hose at the thermostat that way.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:52   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

QUOTE: "what I was going to say .. that hose is a yanmar part."
---and we all know what that means.

Really good answer, wsmurdoch. Yanmar didn't design that hose. They took it off the shelf, and now will charge you for having to stock them for years, all for the very occasional owner who hasn't figured out that they can go to the shelf just as well.

DoubleD, I suggest that you get a copy of Nigel Calder's Marine Diesel Engines and up your self confidence in tackling this sort of problem. You can widen your envelope, and be ready for bigger problems in the future. Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Diesel...a-435474936464
Old 12-12-2022, 15:11   #9

As suggested I was planning to visit the local auto parts store this evening, but called the local Yanmar distributor today and they had the hose in stock for $29.95 + $8 shipping. I'll have it by tomorrow. I know it doesn't always work out this way, but I'll take this one. I'm sure I'll be trying the auto parts store soon enough.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Old 12-12-2022, 15:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
QUOTE: "what I was going to say .. that hose is a yanmar part."
---and we all know what that means.

Really good answer, wsmurdoch. Yanmar didn't design that hose. They took it off the shelf, and now will charge you for having to stock them for years, all for the very occasional owner who hasn't figured out that they can go to the shelf just as well.

DoubleD, I suggest that you get a copy of Nigel Calder's Marine Diesel Engines and up your self confidence in tackling this sort of problem. You can widen your envelope, and be ready for bigger problems in the future. Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Diesel...a-435474936464

I do have Nigle's 2nd edition of this book, but downloaded this version to kindle so I it electronically. I have a couple of his other titles which are great.

thanks

DD
Old 13-12-2022, 16:04   #11

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Pull off the old hose, carry it to your NAPA store,
Yes, absolutely.
NAPA has a catalog of molded hoses that have pictures of each hose.
About 100 pages of perhaps 40 hoses per page, that's close to a million more or less, right?
They start at~1/4>3/8ths id and run to ~2-1/2 id.
Just about any convoluted shape imaginable, some with different ids at each end.
I've used lots of them for all kinds of things, sink drains, cockpit drains, sewage connections, bilge pumps,,,,,,,and even engines.
I've been told that NAPA no longer prints the catalog, so not all stores might have one, but once you see one you will be amazed.
The uses on a boat will be limited only by your imagination.
Last but not least, you have a part# for replacement.
Old 13-12-2022, 17:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Yes, absolutely.
NAPA has a catalog of molded hoses that have pictures of each hose.
About 100 pages of perhaps 40 hoses per page, that's close to a million more or less, right?
They start at~1/4>3/8ths id and run to ~2-1/2 id.
Just about any convoluted shape imaginable, some with different ids at each end.
I've used lots of them for all kinds of things, sink drains, cockpit drains, sewage connections, bilge pumps,,,,,,,and even engines.
I've been told that NAPA no longer prints the catalog, so not all stores might have one, but once you see one you will be amazed.
The uses on a boat will be limited only by your imagination.
Last but not least, you have a part# for replacement.
Great advice. This one from Amazon looks almost right. Less than $10 and correct diameter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C45177EC-0E00-455B-8DE3-D58A86001ABF.jpeg
Views:	675
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	268697  
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 18:46   #13

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandor View Post
Great advice. This one from Amazon looks almost right. Less than $10 and correct diameter.
Yeah, looks almost right for the top half. Maybe not quite as tight a curve/kink.

The bottom half has a smooth curve in a plane 90* to the curve/kink of the top half.

I'm skeptical that NAPA would have anything close enough to fit in there without being rubbed by the alternator/water pump belt. Looked at it today while changing the raw water pump.

But I will take my spare to NAPA and see what he can find. Not too soon, but I will make a report.

I don't like the idea of connecting two hoses with a piece of pipe. Two more points of failure. To get home...of course I would, but that's all. And it's still going to be a very tight fit.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, men, yanmar