Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2018, 18:49   #1

Yanmar 3gm30f mid cruise shut off

I was under way 4 hrs in my diesel just sputters and quits I try too start her back up nothing I try and try alittle more nothing just turns so I change the oil filter and add a little oil she starts right up after a couple true trys another 4 hours same thing what is this ?? I haven't tried too start it again cause I shaved teeth off starter I think ...
Capt.Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 21:15   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yanmar 3gm30f mid cruise shut off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Ty View Post
I was under way 4 hrs in my diesel just sputters and quits I try too start her back up nothing I try and try alittle more nothing just turns so I change the oil filter and add a little oil she starts right up after a couple true trys another 4 hours same thing what is this ?? I haven't tried too start it again cause I shaved teeth off starter I think ...
Sounds like a fuel issue, either starvation or air entering the system. The fact it comes good suggests more like fuel starvation to me.

When was the last time you replaced the fuel filters (primary and secondary), have to you inspected fuel tank pick up?

Why do you think you have shaved the teeth off the starter?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 21:33   #3

Boat: Westsail 32

I have the same thing with my 3GM30F. The engine starts, then stops and wouldn't start again. Changed the Racor fuel filter element and the little engine fuel filter element (both were plugged solid) and away she went, started and ran like a charm....

....for two weeks. Then, in the middle of a run, the engine took one minute to slow down and stop. It would not restart.

The mechanic found the fuel lines--the cock under the tank, the one from the cock to the Racor, from the Racor to the fuel pump, from the fuel pump to the high pressure pump--to be plugged solid with a waxy deposit. He has the parts in his shop now, cleaning them. The waxy deposit is in the tank too, and he doesn't know what he's going to do about that.

The problem, uh, seems to be that the fuel is basically, uh, 12 years old. I filled the 37 gallon tank then and added to it as it went down, about 15 gallons at a time. Ugh.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 06:10   #4

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

I’d agree with the fuel or air problem. Maybe check air intake first because it’s easier, the element might be clogged...

But it’s most likely a fuel filter. When were they changed last? And which ones are on the engine?

Another possibility is an air leak in the fuel system somewhere...

There’s many posts about similar/same problems on here. With the usual troubleshooting procedures.

I don’t think the oil has anything to do with it. At least I’ve never heard of such scenario related to oil or oil filters.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 09:24   #5

Running four hours then sputtering definitely sounds like filters but try your tank vent line as it may be blocked and creating back vacuum
CaptGeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 10:42   #6

Boat: Freedom 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
The problem, uh, seems to be that the fuel is basically, uh, 12 years old. I filled the 37 gallon tank then and added to it as it went down, about 15 gallons at a time. Ugh.
Yep, you know the problem. 😜
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 11:11   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Sorry, I know I have posted this before, but it's exactly the situation I encountered on an old 67' sled (actually, it was new at the time, but now really dated.) Perkins 4-236 engine, Racor filter, 40 gallon diesel tank under the sole.

Every 4 hours or so, the engine would lose power and eventually stop. Filters were clean, no sign of any contamination. I would go so far as to remove the fuel pickup from the tank, and the fine brass gauze on the end of the pickup was clean. After bleeding the engine, it would start and run for four hours.

Bottom line: debris was clogging the pickup pre-pre-filter, and each time I would break into the fuel line, the suction would be removed and the debris would disperse into the tank. I could never "catch it in the act". By removing the gauze, and allowing the Racor to do its job, the problem was resolved.

However...

There was an electric fuel pump between the fuel tank and the Racor filter, which then became the source of the clogs since it had a tiny filter screen inside of it. It made me realize that the best place for a filter is immediately downstream from the tank so it can protect everything that it downstream of IT.

Chuck Hawley
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 11:20   #8

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
The problem, uh, seems to be that the fuel is basically, uh, 12 years old. I filled the 37 gallon tank then and added to it as it went down, about 15 gallons at a time.
I certainly understand plugged filters and even an accumulation of material in the fuel tank (usually water, or bacterial growth, or rust particles in a steel/iron tank). I am not so impressed by the idea of 12 year old fuel in this circumstance. If you replace approximately half the fuel in your tank per year, you will have about 1 ounce of the original fuel remaining after 12 years. We all have some theoretical small amount of old fuel remaining in our tank after years of operation, unless we completely drained and cleaned the tank along the way which most of us do not. Now, periodic "fuel polishing" is probably a good idea to be sure contaminants don't accumulate in your tank through time, but that is a different discussion.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 13:01   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Sounds pretty straight forward case of "algae" in the tank. Classic symptoms of runs for a while and then stops and filters are clogged with "crap". Replace and redo the same scenario. Can't be fixed without first emptying the tank(s) fully and cleaning them out. depending on how and where your tanks are mounted determines the difficulty of the job.
If your tank has inspection/cleanout ports then you are golden . Just open them up and mop out the stuff on the floors and walls of the tank. If you don't then it may be a good time to install one. Sometimes if it has been allowed to really exist as a dirty tank for a long time it turns to a dark hard tar-like varnish and is very hard to get rid of.
This is why many people have fuel polishers to - Prevent just such a problem by cleaning up the stuff before it settles in and grows and attaches.
If not fully removed it will be a constant source of inoculation and can only then be managed by frequent fuel polishing and frequent filter changes.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 13:29   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

I know that when I return from the Bahamas I like to burn out as much of that fuel I purchase there down to near 0 so I don't leave "old" fuel in a tank - especially when I don't know how fresh it was when bought. Some out Islands will hold fuel quite a while before the fuel boat come to refill. Happened to me in the Berry Islands one year and I blew some injectors when the water and old fuel filled up and blew through the Racor and primary on engine filters.
My boat has three fuel tanks and when I return from a long trip I transfer any remaining partially full tanks all into one with my transfer pump so I can totally refill the others with new fuel and be sure to burn the foreign purchased fuel completely and not let it sit in the tanks and just keep topping it off.

Also I have mounted on each Racor filter a gauge that shows the cleanliness of the filter. They are less than $100 and let you know if a filter change is needed or not. Pays for itself in either early diagnosis of a problem or paying for filters that don't really need changing. Before I just changed them based on engine hours and sometimes they looked pretty good upon take-out.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 16:18   #11

Because now when I go to start there's this terrible grinding noise ... Coast guard boarded me and one of them said it sounds like the starter
Old 23-08-2018, 16:19   #12

Thank you I'm gunna look into it she needs a tune up
Old 23-08-2018, 16:41   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Agree with Wotname, Seymour & others. U r barking up the wrong tree looking at oil & filter. Fuel restriction or air getting in your fuel system is your problem most likely. Can be a problem to find but if you are calling in a mechanic for your tune up, describe the symptoms & see if he thinks it's a fuel or air problem. If he starts talking about replacing injection pump etc etc I'd be very wary if he hasnt't checked filters,fuel lines etc first
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 16:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Agree with Wotname, Seymour & others. U r barking up the wrong tree looking at oil & filter. Fuel restriction or air getting in your fuel system is your problem most likely. Can be a problem to find but if you are calling in a mechanic for your tune up, describe the symptoms & see if he thinks it's a fuel or air problem. If he starts talking about replacing injection pump etc etc I'd be very wary if he hasnt't checked filters,fuel lines etc first
No I will be doing the engine work I'm way to broke to pay for someone else to do it I agree and appreciate everyone's feed back
-D
Old 23-08-2018, 18:12   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Take your starter out & check the gear goes up & down the shaft ok. Sounds like it's not engaging properly. Needs a bit of shaft clean maybe. Quite a common problem.I'm assuming mounting bolts are tight. Usually ya just round off the teeth a bit but stripping is possible I guess
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, cruise, yanmar