Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2017, 12:41   #1

Boat: Cascade Cutter 38
Yanmar 3GM30F - periodic misfire and white smoke

I was laid up from surgery, so hadn't taken the boat out for over 6 months until this weekend.

After running fine for about 45 minutes, the engine began mis-firing, emitted a large cloud of white smoke, then ran fine. Oil pressure was OK, water temp a bit hotter than normal, around 180F at 3000-3100 rpm. I checked the engine compartment for leaks and such, found nothing. There was less than a 1/8" of gunk on the bottom of the secondary fuel filter, which I drained off.

It repeated again on the way back.

Back at the dock, I checked things out after the engine cooled. Here's what I found:

- The oil had been overfilled past the hi level mark on the dipstick. My bad I didn't check it before departure, figuring it was OK because it had just been filled by someone I trusted. I normally do my own oil and filter changes, but since I was laid up I had the local marine tech do it.

- The compartment under the hot water heater was full of fresh water (not coolant), and was steamy warm. The water had leaked from the overflow valve, presumably from overheating by the engine coolant fluid. The heat exchanger hoses from the engine were hot to the touch.

- The engine coolant level was fine. No obvious coolant or oil leaks in the engine bilge.

- The oil doesn't look milky, at least what I saw on the dipstick.

Any thoughts? What else can I check?
elmerfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 13:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Yanmar 3GM30F - periodic misfire and white smoke

Are you sure the oil was overfilled and that you are not leaking diesel fuel into the oil sump? One sign of a leaky low pressure fuel pump failure or a high pressure seal failure is elevated amount of lub. oil in the engine sump.

Your white smoke symptoms could mean water in the fuel or un-burned fuel going out the exhaust. If steam then it is sign of overheating.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 15:49   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

DeepFrz pretty much covered it. Drain the excess liquid out of the sump and take the boat out again or run it at the dock in gear at cruise rpm for at least a 1/2 hour. If the hiccup shut it down and check the oil again. If it's high again would start with the lift pump and then a compression check.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 22:08   #4

WHITE SMOKE occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and un-burned. Some causes of this include:
1)Faulty or damaged injectors
2)Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft key way).
3)Low cylinder compression (eg: caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze)

When white smoke occurs at cold start, and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing. Use of our Flushing Oil Concentrate and FTC DE- carbonizer address these respective problems.

Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry, and are often to blame. Unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.

So in your case water in the fuel/condensation from sitting or as previously mentioned leaking fuel into your oil which would raise your oil level from the following places:
1) Fuel lift pump diaphragm/seals
2) Injector tips corroded/leaking
3) Injector pump issues -seals

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 08:49   #5

Boat: Camano 41

You had mentioned that the oil was overfilled. I have seen a case where the oil was forced up past the rings and burned off through the exhaust. But, if you are gaining oil level, or gaining coolant levels, likely a different issue is at hand.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 09:00   #6

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

As the fuel leaks into the oil sump, usually the first sign, failing checking the dipstick will be a total runaway as the engine sucks up the excess. This probably destroys the engine and may stick a piece of connecting rod through the hull. All this drama has happened before so consider yourself lucky.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 09:16   #7

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Would a laboratory analysis of the lubricating oil be a good idea, to quantify diesel fuel in the crankcase? This also would provide other information about engine condition.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 09:34   #8

Boat: ODAY 28

did you smell the oil on the dip stick for signs of diesel
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 13:10   #9

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

A simple test:
Blotting paper, drop a little oil, if dark spot in the center = oil AND light stain on the outside = diesel, oil-diesel mixed, probably by the diesel pump
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 14:42   #10
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

thanks for the in-field test ideas

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, yanmar