Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2019, 12:17   #1

Boat: Morgan 323
Yanmar 3GMD Impellers, Filters, Doodads, & Thingamabobs

Hi everyone,

Completely newbie question: My wife and I just purchased a Morgan 323 and I'm getting the engine ready this weekend before our shakedown sail next week (weather permitting). My question is, without taking out the impeller, oil, air, and fuel filters, does anyone know what size they require? I would normally just start taking stuff apart to find out for myself, but the boat is an hour away and want to get my parts list purchased before the weekend.

I have a Yanmar 3GMD(22hp) (raw water)

Also, any suggestions or insights regarding whether or not there's a new(ish) yanmar engine that has same/similar parts list I could use as a guide when it comes time to replacing other stuff would be helpful. Since it is next to impossible to find a comprehensive manual that hasn't been truncated or is actually legible, I am wondering if others use a different model as a pretty close guide.

Thanks in advance!
SailAwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 13:52   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Yanmar 3GMD Impellers, Filters, Doodads, & Thingamabobs

https://www.manualslib.com/products/...d-3593377.html

Have you looked here?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 14:24   #3

Boat: Morgan 323

You're amazing! Thank you for this.

Every download I came across was only a partial manual or too blurry from a 1983 copy. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
SailAwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 16:05   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Good to see you have found a manual.
FWIW, there is also one in our very own CF library
See Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Library - Manuals
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 11:16   #5

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Not having a YanMar I can't comment on which spares to get but get 3 of each initially. Use the first set to refresh your engine, the second set becomes your spare set and the 3rd set your Emergency set.

Every year thereafter buy a new set, use the spares to service, make the emergency set the spare set and the new set the Emergency ones. That way you always have a spare set onboard in case you forget the new set and an emergency set.

For air filters, if the Yanmar is anything like the VolvoPenta and uses a cheap, disposable paper filter in a throw away plastic housing then charges you half and arm and a leg for it I suggest you speak to the good guys at K&N and get one of their fine washable million mile air filters. All they need is a few details of the engine, including the swept volume (which should be in the manual) or the capacity and they will work out the best one for you.

I did this on my VP D2-40 4 years ago and haven't looked back. I can't say if the engine performs better or if my fuel use has gone down but not having to fork out for a new VP air filter every year makes me smile.

Then look around for aftermarket filters, o-rings, spares and the like. You can save a fair amount of cash if you don't use the branded manufacturers ones. If the engine is out of warranty there's no need to use OEM anyway.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, yanmar