Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 16:11   #1

Boat: CAL-2 30'
Yanmar 3YM20 Mixing Elbow

I have a 2018 Yanmar 3YM20 with 200 hrs and it recently started revving to 2400 instead of well over 3000 going forward while still getting to 3500 in neutral. I am thinking the original exhaust mixing elbow may be restricting flow. It came with the u-shaped riser like this HDI replacement -
https://hdimarine.net/product/ymkit/

Is there any reason not to switch to the straighter replacement at half the cost? -https://hdimarine.net/.../yms-stainless-steel-mixing-elbow/
davenrino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 16:53   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Yanmar 3YM20 Mixing Elbow

i heard 600 hours as replacement schedule for the mixing elbow. but maybe yours is ahead of schedule. are you getting any steam in the exhaust?
Old Today, 17:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i heard 600 hours as replacement schedule for the mixing elbow. but maybe yours is ahead of schedule. are you getting any steam in the exhaust?

No steam but some black crud on the water and a small puff of black smoke when backing off the throttle.
Old Today, 18:13   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Why not just take it off and clean it and inspect, not hard to do. You may also have a fouled propeller or bottom. The reason for the high lift elbow is usually to get the elbow higher above the water line, depends on your situation on whether to use low rise or high rise and if you have an anti-siphon loop from heat exchanger to elbow.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 19:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Why not just take it off and clean it and inspect, not hard to do. You may also have a fouled propeller or bottom. The reason for the high lift elbow is usually to get the elbow higher above the water line, depends on your situation on whether to use low rise or high rise and if you have an anti-siphon loop from heat exchanger to elbow.

That is the plan for tomorrow. I already went under the boat to check for fouling.

Tags
elbow, yanmar