Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2022, 14:12   #1

Boat: Currently boatless
Yanmar 3YM20 raw water pump lip seal

In an earlier thread Jim Cate suggested replacing the spring inside the lip seal with an o-ring. I just received a water pump rebuild kit, and the replacement lip seal does not have either a spring or an o-ring. In the original Yanmar lip seal I took out, the spring was either completely rusted away or was never there in the first place. Should I be searching for a right sized o-ring to press into the new lip seal?
Old 01-06-2022, 14:36   #2

Boat: twinkeels, 9m
Re: Yanmar 3YM20 raw water pump lip seal

lip seals are also available with stainless steel springs

otherwise the replacement of the spring by an O-ring is possible, finding the right size is not easy, quite elastic, not too rigid so as not to wear the lip too quickly or risk marking the shaft
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 16:23   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

It sounds like the lip seal has been designed to operate without a garter spring (or garter O ring). If so, leave it as designed. While all the lip seals I have seen do have garter springs, maybe there are newer designs without such springs.

Can you see a grove in the lip seal where a grater spring would sit? If not, leave it be.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 17:19   #4

False alarm--on closer inspection, I see there is a garter spring! By the way, I think it would be damn near impossible to replace it with an o-ring without damaging the seal.

Thank you for the replies!
Old 01-06-2022, 17:28   #5

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

There may be (should be) an item number on the seal, as most are not manufactured by the engine/pump/etc company. You should be able to look up (or cross-reference) the item number and find the specs which should ID the spring material. If NOT stainless and in contact with salt water (as opposed to a seal on the oil side) consider replacing with an o-ring. Looks hard, but really isn't.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 22:52   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

If you change the lip seal every year when you replace the impeller, then the pump should not need refurbishing for many years. Buy a handful of generic lip seals with stainless gaiter springs for peanuts. Remove the impeller, hook out the seal and press in new. A dental pick makes it easy peasy. Use minimum belt tension to reduce side load on shaft.
Once the seal starts to leak, it only a matter of time before the bearings fail, so replacing them early prevents that.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 23:18   #7

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

I go to a bearing supply business with the old seal in hand and explain that it is for a water pump, they grab a new seal off the shelf, pluck out the spring with a dental pick and fit the correct o ring and then ask is that all as they have a $10.00 minimum charge, perhaps I would like a spare? Works for me.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:04   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I go to a bearing supply business with the old seal in hand and explain that it is for a water pump, they grab a new seal off the shelf, pluck out the spring with a dental pick and fit the correct o ring and then ask is that all as they have a $10.00 minimum charge, perhaps I would like a spare? Works for me.
My experience also, UB. Don't know what all the fuss is about!

Jim
Old 02-06-2022, 06:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post

Nice people those Aussies. I'm not sure I could find a neighborhood shop like that here.

My original lip seal lasted 14 years before it started to leak. But periodic replacement sounds like good advice.
Old 02-06-2022, 19:19   #10

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Yes, I just rebuilt two of my water pumps (both spares). Bought the bearings about $1.50 a piece and replaced the seals with double lipped seals for about $4 each. I purchased enough bearings and seals to last a lifetime. This is for a Johnson pump from Beta.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, raw water, raw water pump, water, water pump, yanmar