Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2020, 15:10   #1

Yanmar 4JH series injectors

Working on pulling my injectors out of 4JH. Been two days now... they’re in there good.
Question 1- Assuming everything was relatively newly installed , etc, the injectors shoould be able to be pulled straight out? They aren’t a quarter turn or anything?
Question 2- Several places online have suggested securing fuel to engine and just cycling start a few times to pop injector out. That sounds like a bad idea to me. Especially because mines REALLY stuck in there.
Jotunheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 16:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Yanmar 4JH series injectors

I’ve had my injectors out, 4JH4, when engine had about 800 hours. They came right out. Just unscrewed IIRC, been 10 years.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 16:22   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Mine came out easily too. Been a few years but I don’t remember them being screwed in?
Held in by two nuts? Anyway spray some penetrating fluid around the body of the injector and let it sit overnight, then with the nuts loose but not removed spin the motor over with the fuel lines disconnected so it can’t start and use compression to push them out.

If that doesn’t work reconnect fuel lines and crank it up and let it warm up, then repeat with a warm engine.

Mine is a 4JHE
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 16:30   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I don't have a 4JH manual however the injectors of Yanmar engines of similar vintage are pulled straight out. The 4JH2 injectors are pulled straight out.

A slide hammer secured into the top of the injector helps or you can make jig to push them out using the clamp studs (modified).

If you wish to read about really stuck Yanmar injectors, have a look at this thread
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ve-210170.html
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 16:31   #5

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotunheim View Post
Working on pulling my injectors out of 4JH. Been two days now... they’re in there good.
Question 1- Assuming everything was relatively newly installed , etc, the injectors shoould be able to be pulled straight out? They aren’t a quarter turn or anything?
Question 2- Several places online have suggested securing fuel to engine and just cycling start a few times to pop injector out. That sounds like a bad idea to me. Especially because mines REALLY stuck in there.
I believe that the 3JH injectors I have are similar. Had to remove one of mine (two times, different ones) and they did not want to come out.

The fuel line is already off, removed the nuts, covered with a heavy towel, cranked the engine (with engine stop lever engaged), and they blew out handily. Next time I put them in with anti seize, but I doubt if that would help.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:49   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: JEANNEAU,BENETAU,BAVARIA etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotunheim View Post

leave your engine to be room temperature , spray WD-40 , start your engine and let at idle for 5 minutes , only 5 minutes not more and let it overnight .
. The cylinder head is aluminum the injectors steel they have different expansion ratio . the aluminum will expand quicker.
MARINE ENGINNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:40   #7

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINE ENGINNER View Post
leave your engine to be room temperature , spray WD-40 , start your engine and let at idle for 5 minutes , only 5 minutes not more and let it overnight .
. The cylinder head is aluminum the injectors steel they have different expansion ratio . the aluminum will expand quicker.
Aluminum??? My 4JH3 is cast iron. I don't recall a diesel with an aluminum head.
Old 10-08-2020, 15:39   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

All Yanmar diesels of this vintage are cast iron!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 15:59   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Aluminum diesel cylinder heads are very rare, they do exist.
In 2001 when I bought my Duramax engine powered truck there were many, many experts that said they would never work as the Duramax has an aluminum head, there were many predictions of cylinder head gaskets failing etc.
Properly designed aluminum works fine for a diesel cylinder head, but I believe in the US consumer market the Duramax in 2001 was about the first.

However aluminum Diesels are far from new, the Soviet T-34 tank had an aluminum engine that was astonishingly very advanced. Double overhead cams per head and a four valve head and all aluminum, I believe the -34 in the name comes from it’s design date, so a four overhead cam, four valves per cylinder all aluminum V12 Diesel engine in 1934.
From the Russians who anyone will tell you were only capable of manufacturing crude junk.
https://www.cia.gov/library/readingr...00070001-4.pdf
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 19:30   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I'd try penetrating oil & slide hammer.
Try twisting it as well using a spanner or pipe wrench if you can fit it on. If it is really badly stuck you can dismantle the top off the injector & make up a socket to fit on the flats & hit it with a rattle gun. I would put a bit of threaded rod in the threads in the body by the flats so it doesnt distort if you wish to save the injector . Or try freezing spray.
Refer to Wotnames thread if none of these suggestions work
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 13:02   #11

Boat: Atlas Pompano 21

I had a similar problem with one injector on my 4jh2. I was able to remove the injector by first removing the small stud that is in the way, then using a crow's foot wrench to twist the injector. If the seat doesn't come out with the injector, a bolt extractor will break it free.
ScottRhodes13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar